Significance of pixel density and squareness in HDTVs

dotMac

Hello,

This question was bothering me when I was considering a HDReady Plasma at one point of time. However the question is generic.

Q1. Does non-square pixels affect PQ under any circumstances? Could be when upscaling or downsampling.
i.e If I were to choose between a TV with Square pixels and non-square which one would be recommended and why?

Q2. Does increase in pixel density result in a better pic?
Eg: Some 50" Plasma has got 1024x768 panel while others have 1365x768.

This is not a Plasma specific question. I am trying to find out the science behind these. So no LCD vs Plasma comments please.

In mobile phone displays, PPI(Pixels per inch) appears to increase the PQ(Everyone agrees that iPhone4 screen is better than iPhone3gs; So i think its proven to be true). I could understand the theory behind it as it has to do with Anti-aliasing and sub-pixel rendering. But does this apply to HDTVs? And some claim that there is a magical number of around 350ppi beyond which human eye does not detect subpixels and thus generating a crisp image.

One request. Let us not go into detail on whether what mobile vendors say about PPI is right or wrong. I want the focus to be on HDTV. i.e. Does this improve PQ in HDTV or not.

Thanks in advance,
dotMac

Hello,

Q2. Does increase in pixel density result in a better pic?
Eg: Some 50" Plasma has got 1024x768 panel while others have 1365x768.

I beleive it matters a bit but not lot. Prixel mapping 1:1 is what matters the most. You get best PQ on 1080P throguh 1080P source as there is sam mapping. But it looks worst on 480i source. I have seen awesome crisp PQ on 480P display through Progressive DVD player.(Not upscaling)

So as long as your native display and source are in same resoultion, you will get the crystal clear clarity on SD too. Dose matter if both are true HD. (Having more pixel density and so more details)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back