Silent fan for LGA775,intel fan with CPU a fake?

kaushik

Please recommend a silent fan for LGA775 CPUs.It should be silent enough so that i have to place my ear on the cabinet,to know PC is running during daytimes.

Because PC will be used as an audio source soon....

I have an assembled P4 desktop,with ASUS mobo, the fan that came with processor is very noisy, surely a chinese fake.

this conclusion came ,because i have seen branded PCs are very silent.

be it cooler master,OCZ, but should on not cost very high (<1k).

NOTE: cleaning fan ,oil etc does not help with this fan

cranky,
at present the applications are not intense like gaming,
video ripping ..:p

just the PC will be used for internet,simple video playing,few apps like cygwin,co-linux ,XMplay with asio4all etcetc ,

Processor is P4 3GHz,1Gb RAM DDR2 ,fan should be "silent enough so that i have to place my ear on the cabinet" in db may be 16db i am not sure

some time i wil attach a ASUS Xonar...

I have observed
- some people (by luck) assembled p4 machine w/o very
reputed fans [ long back i met] and PC used to be very
silent ,there were no heatpipe etc stuff

- for normal usage w/o over clocking etc heat pipe etc are not required

so just 1k budget allocated :eek:hyeah:,

OCZ Vanquisher at 1200Rs looks ok but is it silent,
i am looking at Scythe at Lynx.any model no if u have will be of great help

Last edited:
scythe shuriken is the best bet here. Can be ordered online or from Lynx (however they never respond anyway)

Try quietpc.com - they ship to India

Last edited:
suprateep,
scythe shuriken looks good,but noise level is 10 to 35dba specified, have you practically heard this fan running?

is the normal running noise acceptable

suprateep,
scythe shuriken looks good,but noise level is 10 to 35dba specified, have you practically heard this fan running?

is the normal running noise acceptable

absolutely quiet - I was unhappy with mah AMD7750 fan even while it was underclocked to 500MHZ per core (perfectly fine for h264 rips and xivd rips with 40-50% CPU usage) - still the fan clutter pissed me off durign quiet scenes.

I ordered the scythe from quietpc and a friend carried it over. Perfectly silent during quiet scenes but during DVD ripping the temp shoots up to 50-55C - i find it acceptable.

35dBA should be inaudible at the listening position, and that is the maximum noise level. If you use speed control software, it is possible to minimise this to lower levels. The problem is that a lot fans buzz and rattle at lower speeds, and this is mechanically transmitted to the cabinet walls which resonate sympathetically. Good fans will generate low noise, but also be mechanically quieter.

The limit of human audibility is 25-30dBA (dBref = vacuum) so a 35dBA fan will drop below this limit at a 2 meter distance, if it is not coupling noise to any other part of the PC. Generally, if your total PC stays below 40dBA, you should be very happy with the results given that daytime ambient noise floor is around 40-45dBA anyway.

A PC with <40dBA noise emission can be considered completely silent unless you are sitting right next to it. Of course you have add the noise of all the other fans. It's a never-ending chase, because once you silence one fan you will start hearing the others...

+1 to that. Now that my proccy fan is silent - the case fans need to be treated. That is BTW the beauty of this work.:rolleyes:

If you use speed control software, it is possible to minimise this to lower levels. ......once you silence one fan you will start hearing the others...

I have seen some BIOS settings for speed limiting,after the purchase i will try these if needed,
now i am sure scythe shuriken will be the right candidate,1.6k from lynx store.
What i like is that this fan is suitable for future upgrades upto Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor 3200 Series... as well as Low Height of 64mm makes it suitable for slim cabinets (future HTPC build).

cranky,i hope CPU fan change will silence the PC to 80-90% i have checked the SMPS ,itz a decent fellow,a few dampers etc will do the rest.

gobble , scythe ninja is 2.7k at lynx ,goes out of budget and is bigger,although i have a tower soon i may replace it with slim cab.

I have seen some BIOS settings for speed limiting,after the purchase i will try these if needed,
now i am sure scythe shuriken will be the right candidate,1.6k from lynx store.
What i like is that this fan is suitable for future upgrades upto Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor 3200 Series... as well as Low Height of 64mm makes it suitable for slim cabinets (future HTPC build).

cranky,i hope CPU fan change will silence the PC to 80-90% i have checked the SMPS ,itz a decent fellow,a few dampers etc will do the rest.

gobble , scythe ninja is 2.7k at lynx ,goes out of budget and is bigger,although i have a tower soon i may replace it with slim cab.

yes a lot of aftermarket coolers have a clear upgrade path so can be used with the current lot and older porccys as well.

CPU fan is the biggest culprit for noise - nexty is the SMPS fan and next case fan. Use dampers - see if it helps. BTW I underclock my AMD 7750 for h264 movies for 720/1080p movies. Plays with 50% CPU usage for 1080p movies which is fine. For normal dvd h264 rips CPU usage is around 10%. Underclocking reduces the proccy temp and fan speeds as well.

Cranky suggested a good cooler - scythe has a smaller brother the scythe ninja mini (dunno about the price). BTW if you do get the scythe from lynx letme know - i can get one more for my other (download) rig.

Godspeed:eek:hyeah:

I intend to buy the Scythe Ninja Mini very soon. It was not available with Lynx the last time I called them. Waiting since 6 months now. Maybe I will import from HK.

Edit: But hey the scythe shuriken looks like a good choice too!
Regards

Last edited:
yes a lot of aftermarket coolers have a clear upgrade path so can be used with the current lot and older porccys as well.

CPU fan is the biggest culprit for noise - nexty is the SMPS fan and next case fan. Use dampers - see if it helps. BTW I underclock my AMD 7750 for h264 movies for 720/1080p movies. Plays with 50% CPU usage for 1080p movies which is fine. For normal dvd h264 rips CPU usage is around 10%. Underclocking reduces the proccy temp and fan speeds as well.

Cranky suggested a good cooler - scythe has a smaller brother the scythe ninja mini (dunno about the price). BTW if you do get the scythe from lynx letme know - i can get one more for my other (download) rig.

Godspeed:eek:hyeah:

For now my lappy plays HD rips very well, and is very silent any time ,if needed i will add a usb-> HDMI adapter,once i
bring bigger LCD

That PC is to be deployed after feeding the silencer he he he :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back