sine wave UPS with internal battery

sanjgupt

Hi
I have been looking sine wave UPS with internal battery, but not able to find any. all sine wave UPS comes with external tubular battery. my backup requirement is not much due to generator in the apartment. but frequent power cut disturb music listening experience. kindly suggest some sine wave UPS with internal battery.

thanks
Sanjeev

Hi
I have been looking sine wave UPS with internal battery, but not able to find any. all sine wave UPS comes with external tubular battery. my backup requirement is not much due to generator in the apartment. but frequent power cut disturb music listening experience. kindly suggest some sine wave UPS with internal battery.

thanks
Sanjeev

everything in my signature is powered by this, no issues sofar for the last one year. sometimes chatter in generator but can be fixed by reducing sensitivity on backpanel, if large industrial generators like inapartment there shouldnt be any issue mine isa 2.8kva honda . fluctuates when kerosene given as fuel, with petrol very stable
APC Smart-UPS 1000VA USB & Serial 230V

Generally No inverter will have internal battery. It's because its manufacutured that way. Even one invents a inverter battery with internal batery it will be big may be very minimal size reduced.

For your requirement you can get 850 VA sine wave UPS with back up of 1-2 hours for (TV + AMP + DVD player)..etc. For DVD player+AMP alone it may work more than 2 hours.

If you need more back up then you need to go with higher VA models .

Pardon my ignorance but could you tell me the difference.

a very smple explanation goes like this in online ups input mains is converted to dc and then converted back to ac at output. so load connected at output is completely isolated from mains ALL the time

in line interactive(like sua1000i) or offline ups when mains is present within the specified input range(say 160-280v) it is connected to output. although the output voltage will be regulated within a range(say 200-240v) , when input mains fails OR goes more or less than the spec'd input range the inverter will drive the output load and mains is disconnected till it comes back

so it is not completely isolated from mains ALL the time

these topics are discussed in detail in other threads like this one
http://www.hifivision.com/audio-vid...-games-servo-stabilizer-cvt-online-ups-3.html

So all your stuff is connected to the ups or UPS->Surge Protected Board-> Appliances? Is 1 kVA enough to handle all that stuff (i.e. PS50c550, BDP-S370, HTS-3300, BIG TV HD DVR , TS HD ,EDGE, PC)

My APC online sine wave ups SURT2000XLI has int battery, cost 30k, and easily handles my 50" plasma, 750w sub, and 140w per channel receiver.

I'm using a double (internal) battery Microtek UPS and its working perfectly with my system and handling the load of my 40" LED, Yamaha AVR and speakers etc.; cost was around 3-4k (2 years back); most cost effective and reliable system...

So all your stuff is connected to the ups or UPS->Surge Protected Board-> Appliances? Is 1 kVA enough to handle all that stuff (i.e. PS50c550, BDP-S370, HTS-3300, BIG TV HD DVR , TS HD ,EDGE, PC)

yes to the ups and even in backupmode, there is led load meter, when everything is working simultaneously then only it shows full load.
computer is not on all the time though, so the full load situation is not there all the time

I'm using a double (internal) battery Microtek UPS and its working perfectly with my system and handling the load of my 40" LED, Yamaha AVR and speakers etc.; cost was around 3-4k (2 years back); most cost effective and reliable system...

then in that case, i should not be sine wave UPS. it should be typical desktop UPS. sine-wave UPS with internal battery does not cost less than 10K.

a very smple explanation goes like this in online ups input mains is converted to dc and then converted back to ac at output. so load connected at output is completely isolated from mains ALL the time

in line interactive(like sua1000i) or offline ups when mains is present within the specified input range(say 160-280v) it is connected to output. although the output voltage will be regulated within a range(say 200-240v) , when input mains fails OR goes more or less than the spec'd input range the inverter will drive the output load and mains is disconnected till it comes back

so it is not completely isolated from mains ALL the time

these topics are discussed in detail in other threads like this one
http://www.hifivision.com/audio-vid...-games-servo-stabilizer-cvt-online-ups-3.html

Hi borg
Please clarify my one more doubt on typical computer UPS functioning. is it the same as you described about inline interactive or offline UPS. my backup requirement is only 2-3 min. it takes around that much time to switch on generator in my apartment. should I care whether output is pure sine wave or not? i dont mind even if music quality is little bit distorted for 2-3minn due to non-sinewave UPS.

Hi borg
Please clarify my one more doubt on typical computer UPS functioning. is it the same as you described about inline interactive or offline UPS. my backup requirement is only 2-3 min. it takes around that much time to switch on generator in my apartment. should I care whether output is pure sine wave or not? i dont mind even if music quality is little bit distorted for 2-3minn due to non-sinewave UPS.

The output voltage from ordinary computer ups (known as offline or line interactive ups) is usually square wave. You can use this type of ups to power your lcd tv, bd player, amplifiers etc. For your use (2-3 min) it is sufficient. Ordinary desktop ups will give around 10 -15 minutes of backup time. Usually their load handling power is 600 va which is approximately 360W. So the total power consumption of all the devices connected to such a ups should not exceed 360W. A 1000 va ups has a capacity of around 600W.

Last edited:
My APC Back-UPS 1500-IN is speccified as "Stepped approximation to a sinewave" which I suppose means that it is a bit jagged.

Just replaced the batteries today, as the 2-hour support for my internet-addiction had dropped to under fifteen minutes.

Hi borg

Square wave, modified / quasi squarewave, stepped approximation of sinewave- all these waveforms are rich in harmonics.(and if not designed carefully there will be spikes on the switching point every cycle, so if you decide to buy quasi square make sure it is a top brand)

All AV devices convert the input AC to dc internally, the question is how this conversion is done and how immune it is to these harmonics in the input wave.

computers/modern tv sets etc use smps type powersupplies and they are more immune than linear powersupplies. That is why computer ups's are made this way to save money. and also for computer application the main aim to protect data and and a costly ups just dont make sense economically for ordinary desktops

I think AVR's , stereo amp etc uses linear powersupplies and also i read here in forum that denon says warranty void if connected to inverter.

if any powersupply senses peaks or zero crossing then it will have issues with square or modified square wave because the peaks and zero will be different from sinewave

With sinewave the system will not know if it is on mains or inverter and apart from cost ( which is ok in my case as it is protecting equipments 20 times worth) there is no disadvantages, that is why i chose sinewave over the other

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back