some DIY queries for changing stock cartridge.

Sushant Sharma

Hello forum members,
I own an entry level NAD C556 turntable and have been thinking of changing the stock cart supplied with it to hopefully get a better sound. i was suggested by a more experienced turntable enthusiast to go for Ortofon Red cart or Grado and that they are a good match for the NAD TT. I have some issues that will need to be taken care of before i can buy. your advice/inputs will be greatly appreciated.

1. Can i mount these cartridges with ease by myself. Will the new cart attach to the tonearm without too much fuss?
2 Will I need to adjust height of cantilever etc?

3. Any other suggestions for carts in the 10 k vicinity. preferably under. but keeping in mind the NAD TTs straight tonearm and construction.

4 where to buy?

I feel Ortofon 2 M red should be a good match. You can watch some videos on YouTube to get an idea of how to go about changing the cartridge. That may be better than anyone trying to explain. If it has a removable headshell, changing the cartridge to be done after removing it. If it's not removable like the Rega turntables, you may find it not too easy. You cannot adjust the height of the cantilever if you have understood what cantilever is. You can increase or decrease the arm height if there is a provision on your Turntable.

thanks Jacob
your comments are much appreciated.
the TT is based on the entry level rega turntables. I am now making up my mind between ortofon red and Rega bias2/elys 2. I did get mixed up there and like pointed out by you, i meant tonearm and not cantilever. Unfortunately i havent been able to find videos on YouTube of the NAD C556 or rega carts being changed however there are videos of other TTs. the seller however has agreed to take me through the set up and i am improving by learning more on the web everyday.

Hi,
This looks like a Rega sourced tonearm. The Denon 110 High Output moving coil is also a good option.
Suggest you go to the vinyl engine website and use the tools for matching cartridge compliance and tonearm mass.

Hi Sushant,
My Friend has a Rega RP1( your Marantz is a basically the same) and we went through this same exercise some time back.

Strictly for convenience, a Rega Bias/Elys will be a good upgrade. With these cartridges, you will not need to adjust your tonearm height or tracking force(counter weight has to be pushed all the way in). Rega cartridges are ready to use after mounting on the RP1 with minimal fuss. Also these cartridges are available in Bangalore from Tusker Audio in Jayanagar( they also have a store on Amazon.in) although they are pretty expensive. My advice is to ask someone coming from overseas to get them for you.

With the Ortofon you will need to adjust tonearm height which is not possible in your TT without adding a spacer(http://www.rega.co.uk/arm-height-adjustment-spacer.html). Also your TT does not come with tracking force markings on the counter weight, so you will need a stylus gauge/scale to adjust the tracking force. Mounting will definitely be more cumbersome than with a removable head shell. You can probably take help from a forum member who owns a Rega.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi,
This looks like a Rega sourced tonearm. The Denon 110 High Output moving coil is also a good option.
Suggest you go to the vinyl engine website and use the tools for matching cartridge compliance and tonearm mass.

Hi Soundbuff
Many thanks for your inputs. The Denon 110 has great reviews but also a hefty pricetag. Maybe in time i will get to that. thanks for the vinyl engine suggestion. just registered on it.

Hi Sushant,
My Friend has a Rega RP1( your Marantz is a basically the same) and we went through this same exercise some time back.

Strictly for convenience, a Rega Bias/Elys will be a good upgrade. With these cartridges, you will not need to adjust your tonearm height or tracking force(counter weight has to be pushed all the way in). Rega cartridges are ready to use after mounting on the RP1 with minimal fuss. Also these cartridges are available in Bangalore from Tusker Audio in Jayanagar( they also have a store on Amazon.in) although they are pretty expensive. My advice is to ask someone coming from overseas to get them for you.

With the Ortofon you will need to adjust tonearm height which is not possible in your TT without adding a spacer(http://www.rega.co.uk/arm-height-adjustment-spacer.html). Also your TT does not come with tracking force markings on the counter weight, so you will need a stylus gauge/scale to adjust the tracking force. Mounting will definitely be more cumbersome than with a removable head shell. You can probably take help from a forum member who owns a Rega.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch plasmoid
I agree with you. Given my experience and the TT, i think it would be best to not take on too much and go the safer route with Rega carts. As exciting as tinkering with all these cool concepts of adjusting height and tracking force etc is, i dont want ro be stuck and left high and dry. Thanks with the suggestion for the seller.

Thanks a bunch plasmoid
I agree with you. Given my experience and the TT, i think it would be best to not take on too much and go the safer route with Rega carts. As exciting as tinkering with all these cool concepts of adjusting height and tracking force etc is, i dont want ro be stuck and left high and dry. Thanks with the suggestion for the seller.

No problem Glad to help out. You can also get Rega cartridges online from https://www.hifimart.com. My friend finally bought the cartridge from Tusker Audio as they are a short drive away from where we live and were kind enough to do do the mounting and setup.

You can do better with a Nagaoka MP 110 than the 2M Red for slightly more outlay.

Whichever cart you choose, you'll need to balance and align the arm after installing the new cartridge. Neither of these processes is half as tough as they're made to be.

You'll need:
1/ a digital scale with resolution of 0.01 gram since your arm does not have calibrated markings. Plenty of options on eBay or Amazon for under $20.
2/ for alignment protractor I would suggest the Conrad Hoffman template generator. It's a small, free software that's easy to use. All you really need to feed it is your tonearm mounting distance (pivot-spindle distance) and choose a geometry (Baerwald, Lfgren A/B, etc) and choose a record standard (IEC, etc), and you have a protractor that accurately sets null points and offset angle. Really useful.

I agree on the Mp110. I am not a big fan of the bias/elys because they come with non replaceable stylus

Thanks again Greenhorn
The Nagaoka 110 is selling for 127 dollars on the international amazon website. I doubt the price here in India will be even close to that. Havent been able to find where in India will it be available. any leads? thanks

You can do better with a Nagaoka MP 110 than the 2M Red for slightly more outlay.

Whichever cart you choose, you'll need to balance and align the arm after installing the new cartridge. Neither of these processes is half as tough as they're made to be.

You'll need:
1/ a digital scale with resolution of 0.01 gram since your arm does not have calibrated markings. Plenty of options on eBay or Amazon for under $20.
2/ for alignment protractor I would suggest the Conrad Hoffman template generator. It's a small, free software that's easy to use. All you really need to feed it is your tonearm mounting distance (pivot-spindle distance) and choose a geometry (Baerwald, Lfgren A/B, etc) and choose a record standard (IEC, etc), and you have a protractor that accurately sets null points and offset angle. Really useful.

Thanks jls for your detailed reply. doesnt seem as daunting when you put it like that.
The Nagaoka 110 is selling for 127 dollars on the international amazon website. I doubt the price here in India will be even close to that. Havent been able to find where in India will it be available. any leads? thanks

Thanks again Greenhorn

Just check Amazon japan. I got it from amazon japan and it got delivered within a week time to Chennai
Regards

I got a Nagaoka MP110 recently, now in double minds whether to change the Bias2 on my rega RP1 with Performance pack ? Any users using the combo?

Also links for some noob friendly video guides, to change cartridge myself, would be helpful.

I got a Nagaoka MP110 recently, now in double minds whether to change the Bias2 on my rega RP1 with Performance pack ? Any users using the combo?

Also links for some noob friendly video guides, to change cartridge myself, would be helpful.

Hi Dr Krack
here is a link to a video for changing cart on YouTube
https://youtu.be/hg6IY6VZ-pU
since i think the rega headshell is unremovable so this video is apt.
you can read earlier comments on this thread for more explanation on changing cart on your TT.
sorry, no experience with the performance pack upgrade so cant comment.

Webp.net-compress-image.jpgWebp.net-compress-image.jpgFinally the Nagaoka mp110 arrived from Japan. Mounted and spinning. Thanks Jls and Greennhorn and others for your help. Initial impressions, the presentation is more punchier and tighter. Had a more floaty sound with my stock cart which has changed now. Apparently a 30 hour break in improves the sound better. Will wait and see. Slight hum but thats not the turntable and am looking into it.
For the benefit of other members, i paid just over 8k rupees total, postage included with tracking. Customs didnt raise any demands so nothing there.

View attachment 24557View attachment 24557Finally the Nagaoka mp110 arrived from Japan. Mounted and spinning. Thanks Jls and Greennhorn and others for your help. Initial impressions, the presentation is more punchier and tighter. Had a more floaty sound with my stock cart which has changed now. Apparently a 30 hour break in improves the sound better. Will wait and see. Slight hum but thats not the turntable and am looking into it.
For the benefit of other members, i paid just over 8k rupees total, postage included with tracking. Customs didnt raise any demands so nothing there.
Sushanth, did you buy the cart on amazon.com(sellers are all from Japan) or directly from amazon.jp? Also can you please let me know the name of the seller? And how long did it take to arrive?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back