Songs with great soundstage

The track "Aa Ante Amalapuram" has become my wife's reference track owing to it's great stereo panning effect. Whenever I change anything and ask her if she can hear a difference, she asks me to play this track :lol:

Recording is not spectacular, but opening is brilliant.

Hey All,

Got my hands on a few CDs and I am astounded by the quality of a few, hopefully you do too, if/when you get them...

They are:
1. Saagar - Universal Classics - CDF 729 D
2. Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak - YBR TSeries - YBFCD 1-9 (Its from a set of 6)
3. Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar - HMV (RPG) - CDF 110015
4. Vicky Donor - Eros - ECD 0217 - Eric Pillai (Mixing engineer, did an excellent job), esp the Pani Da Rang
5. Barfi - UTV - 88725 47438 2
6. Parineeta - Tips - TCCD 7347
7. Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani - UTV - SFCD 1-2038
8. Swades - T Series - SFCD - 1/846

Am yet to listen to Dil Chahta Hai (YBR T Series), Gupt (Tips) ...

Cheers, Sunil

Envy you Sunil! You have a lot of albums I am dying to buy but never came across any.

Btw, I managed to find a copy of Dil Chahta hai. It has a very high quality recording by Indian standards. Love it. Albums like Swades, Saagar, QSQT are high on my wanted list.

from the listing of the songs and albums I can say that none has experienced soundstage of Movie "SAAWARIYA" . This is the first movie in which songs are recorded in view of soundstage and director sanjay leela bhansali has specifically told composer monty because of backdrop of movie's screenplay.

Just have an experience and tell me..

cheers

dheeraj

Last edited:
Even DreamTheatre has mind blowing soundstage. I was listening to one song, and there was a woman saying something behind me. I took out the headphones and saw, but there was no woman. I put back the headphones and realised it was the song.

Give it a try guys.

A meeting by the river - Vishwa mohan bhatt & Ry cooder. Only four instruments but beautiful imaging.

Rockstar - Nadaan parindey and Aur ho are absolutely fantastic.

Barfi - Great soundstage on all songs, I would recommend that you buy the CD's of Rockstar and Barfi at least and if possible A meeting by the river too.

thanks vkirti; barfi surely has a great soundstage.. did buy it on your recommendation.
always wanted to hear meeting by the river... somehow slipped out of the purchase list.
will also add rockstar to the list.

Last edited:
ordered for meeting by the river and rockstar..
got the rockstar cd.. completely sealed,, but opened it there was no cd inside.

check whether the speakers are connected in phase.moreover,it all depends the recording of the cd you are playing

Originally Posted by IanU View Post
For Sound Stage these ones are good:

Doug MacLeod; There's a time (HD Tracks or as LP Reference Recordings)

Minnesota Orchestra; Symphonic Dances (Linn or as LP Reference Recordings)

Carmen Gomes Inc.; Thousand Shades of Blue (Sound Liaison)

Andre Heuvelman; After Silence ( Sound Liaison)

links: Sound Liaison; Music Store
Linn Records - The best recordings in Studio Master Download, Vinyl and SACD
Homepage | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads
Reference Recordings Complete Audiophile Classical Music Orchestra and Jazz HDCD Catalog
Great recommendations IanU. thanks for that. I have found all reference recordings to be good and they have so many of Eiji Oui and the Minnesota Orchestra

Thank you, arj! What do you recommend?

These where the ones we were talking about, arj;

Reference Recordings Complete Audiophile Classical Music Orchestra and Jazz HDCD Catalog

Doug-Macleod1.jpg
299e48eb_13061804131815233611304150.jpeg
SSS1%20Milan%20300.png
350x700px-LL-f7687885_Andre2030020met20schaduw20320_300.png
FREE%20SAMPLES%20300%20shadow%20v2.png

Thank you, arj! What do you recommend?

Hey IanU I had bought several of them direct but as HDCDs not SACD

My favourites

1. Mephistos and co
RR%2082s.jpg

2. Tutti
RR_906SACDs.jpg

3. Bolero
RR%2092s.jpg

4. Exotic Dances from the Opera
RR_71_SACD.jpg

5. 30th Anniversary Sampler
RR-908_S.jpg

Tutti is almost a reference disc due to the wide range of Music ( i have a preference for mixed albums ;) )

i do have a couple of Eiji Ouis ( pictures in a exhibition, Stravinsky..but not really heard them to comment :eek: )

Last edited:

Doug-Macleod1.jpg
299e48eb_13061804131815233611304150.jpeg
SSS1%20Milan%20300.png
350x700px-LL-f7687885_Andre2030020met20schaduw20320_300.png
FREE%20SAMPLES%20300%20shadow%20v2.png

There is a great give away sampler with same source files in DSD, PCM and FLAC made for the ifi-idac 2 at the ifi and Sound Liaison site.
Excellent sounding files.
ifiidac2v9300sahdow.jpg
http://www.soundliaison.com/

ifi http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/idac2-impromtu-dsd-album-by-sound-liaison/

Last edited:
I managed to find a copy of Dil Chahta hai. It has a very high quality recording by Indian standards. Love it. Albums like Swades, Saagar, QSQT are high on my wanted list.

I have around 500 CDs to sell which had Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (Made in USA), QSQT etc. but has been sold. But have Saagar-Universal Classics, Swades etc. and very soon will be up for sale in SALE section.

There is a great give away sampler with same source files in DSD, PCM and FLAC made for the ifi-idac 2 at the ifi and Sound Liaison site.
Excellent sounding files.

TFS !

Also for the material suggested. So far I have only heard the apple music versions of There's a time, or Symphonic Dances, and it is clear that further listening (and that hopefully with a better version) is required.

edit : they're there on amazon.in http://www.amazon.in/Rachmaninoff-Symphonic-Dances-Sergei-Rachmaninov/dp/B00005QD5Z as is also http://www.amazon.in/The-Ultimate-D...sim_15_19?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RFHSTKYB9T2C1NBXDSX Horrendously expensive for a CD. But then I guess I am particularly vulnerable to sticker shock after buying music only on itunes for the past couple of years :(. I think I will have to do that itune route with both titles. At least for now

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back