Sony 47W802 Vs Pana 55ET5D?

Thanks to all for the inputs friends. Now my decision has become even more difficult as I am likely to get Sony at a discounted price. Now Most likely my decision will be between 47W800 and 46W950....another headache.
However I will demo 55ET5D once more before eliminating it. :confused:

Now u r comparing passive 3d with active 3d.. Now it all depends on how much of a deal 3d is fir u, 2d pq wise , 950 will be much better than 800. 800 being ips panel wiil have better viewing angle..950 will not be that bad in terms of viewing angle as well... So for 2d I,wud buy 950 , for 3d 800... What is ur viewing distance...?

Sandesh, My viewing distance is approx. 10 ft. Infact I demoed 46W950 this evening and it was pretty fantastic. Even 3D I found less strain compared to 46w800 surprisingly.

Actually I am not comparing active passive etc. My only question in this respect was whether, given the not so major difference in pic quality between w800 and et5 wouldn't it make sense to get the bigger screen for the same price. And docd has confirmed regarding the pic quality of ET5.
I was actually inclined towards ET5 but today evening one of my contacts confirmed that he can get me sony at a discounted price and hence the increase in my confusion. :)

Sandesh, My viewing distance is approx. 10 ft. Infact I demoed 46W950 this evening and it was pretty fantastic. Even 3D I found less strain compared to 46w800 surprisingly.

Actually I am not comparing active passive etc. My only question in this respect was whether, given the not so major difference in pic quality between w800 and et5 wouldn't it make sense to get the bigger screen for the same price. And docd has confirmed regarding the pic quality of ET5.
I was actually inclined towards ET5 but today evening one of my contacts confirmed that he can get me sony at a discounted price and hence the increase in my confusion. :)

If ur viewing is containing sd as well then in My personal opinion, I shud say from 10 ft 55 inch wud be a too bigger size... I see 47 inch from 10 ft distance and it looks big to me ..but again this cud be very personal... Tvs u screened are all good.. Now based on various posts you take,a call and be assured u will be alright.. All the best.. :)

Okay. If you are getting 46W950 at a very good discount and I mean a very good one then go for it else the ET5D.

All 3 are good displays. It is your call from here on.

I haven't read your first post but are you very critical about 2D PQ? How much time will you spend on watching tv in a week? How much of it is SD, DTH HD and BR?

Okay. If you are getting 46W950 at a very good discount and I mean a very good one then go for it else the ET5D.

All 3 are good displays. It is your call from here on.

I haven't read your first post but are you very critical about 2D PQ? How much time will you spend on watching tv in a week? How much of it is SD, DTH HD and BR?

Ok, my likely price points are

55ET5 for 95K with 3 yr warranty
47W800 for 83K with 1 yr warranty
46W950 for 104K with 1 yr warranty

So given the above info which would be the most value for money.

TV will be watched mostly for soaps and serials (currently SD but will be upgraded to HD) by my family and occasional BRrips by me. Viewing would be for around 6 to 8 hours daily.
I am no videophile but don't want to miss out on a good pic quality if it is coming at value for money levels.

Ok, my likely price points are

55ET5 for 95K with 3 yr warranty
47W800 for 83K with 1 yr warranty
46W950 for 104K with 1 yr warranty

So given the above info which would be the most value for money.

TV will be watched mostly for soaps and serials (currently SD but will be upgraded to HD) by my family and occasional BRrips by me. Viewing would be for around 6 to 8 hours daily.
I am no videophile but don't want to miss out on a good pic quality if it is coming at value for money levels.

46W950 at that price is excellent. If you decide against it then the ET5D. W800 is good but given the prices + choices it would be between ET5D and W950 IMO.

Whatever the decision, you'll own a very good display :) Hope you buy one soon and start enjoying HD.

Avmax, shaiju...I guess you have made up my mind.
Dirac....I have no favourite TV, ET5 was just another TV for consideration. :)
Thanks to all for inputs.

I have an opposing view. ET5D is way better than LG efforts. It can show a very smooth and cinematic picture compared to LG.

I agree with Shiaju.. I found 55ET5D better than the most of the LG LED TVs.

Considering the mouth watering price-point from one of the top of the line brand, I think it is not really a bad idea to go for 55ET5D. Additionally you'll get 3 years warranty free of cost, which will cost you something around 10k additional (for 2years extended warranty) for the Sony. Even if the PQ is a tad better with Sony 8 series, I think you can live with that considering that you got a bigger one at the same cost.

Saw the et50 and sammy f5100 side by side in Croma today.
First impression were that motion handling on et5 is robust and the colours were natural including skin tones when playing discovery hd, compared to f5100.

As usual the feed itself was bad anyway.
Then there was a scene where a man was being interviewed with a tree grove behind him. The space between them had mixed dark shades.
Et5 couldn't resolve the details in the dark and almost showed a black patch.

And samsung f5100 was too good here resolving not only the contours of the trees but also preserving the shades of light.
Then a hindi song from a usb stick was played on et5 that is supposedly 1080p.
Et5 played it in a controlled fashion.
F5100 again was way ahead when playing the same song with a typical Samsung picture lush with colors, bright and full of details.
But there was a catch. I could not get a hold on the song. What I mean is that it was being played fast. It was not a blur or a smear.
Its like , I have to watch the video again to really know what happened.

So I could not make any conclusion between the two:(

Dirac,

IPS panel will lose or hide shadow details. Depends on how it's done. W800 also does it but brighter picture draws attention off masked shadow details.

ET5D is a less worse than LG.

Docd, I am yet to make up my mind but I had another detailed demo of the panny with a few clips of mine. I must say the 55 inches does make a lot of difference when compared to the 46-47 inchers. I liked the 2D, and 3D on that size was superb. I probably might be veering towards et5 but I don't know.

Dirac, the shadow details weren't too bad on the panny infact in some scenes it was slightly better than on the w800. Of course I had to make some adjustments in the pic settings which I copied from some forum.

Last edited:
Docd, I am yet to make up my mind but I had another detailed demo of the panny with a few clips of mine. I must say the 55 inches does make a lot of difference when compared to the 46-47 inchers. I liked the 2D, and 3D on that size was superb. I probably might be veering towards et5 but I don't know.

Dirac, the shadow details weren't too bad on the panny infact in some scenes it was slightly better than on the w800. Of course I had to make some adjustments in the pic settings which I copied from some forum.

What pic settings do you think can improve the details in the dark?

I went on this site http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.
I followed the instructions and downloaded the free calibration patterns. I burnt it to DVD. I used it to calibrate my TV. It did make a difference.The PQ seemed to be much better.

I had tried out with the settings given here....

Amazon.com: Pablo Ortega's review of Panasonic VIERA TC-L42ET5 42-Inch 1080p 12...

Pic quality improved considerably.

Docd how do you see the usage hours in this TV? I don't want to end up with a display piece if I am going to buy this one.

Last edited:
I had tried out with the settings given here....

Amazon.com: Pablo Ortega's review of Panasonic VIERA TC-L42ET5 42-Inch 1080p 12...

Pic quality improved considerably.

Docd how do you see the usage hours in this TV? I don't want to end up with a display piece if I am going to buy this one.

I will try to check out these settings as well. As for usage hrs, you have to go into the service menu. There are a couple of threads on this forum about how to access it. I haven't checked mine yet. The date of manufacture is written on the box so you know how old the set is. I had told the dealer to give me a new piece and he promised it. I guess the usage doesn't matter much on LED sets. Its more important for plasmas. However its difficult to get ET55 these days as its last years model, so its possible that only display pieces are left with dealers.Even in this case, if the dealer acknowledges it you can bargain for a good discount. The set is definitely VFM so a good display piece may not be a bad idea!

Dhanan.. have you finally made up your mind? I think 55ET5D is an excellent set. Just try to negotiate a bit more as it was offered by Infibeam few days before at Rs 90K, in Magic Box deal. So I think you can atleast target that price. You might get it considering that it's a 2012 model.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back