Sony 47W802 Vs Pana 55ET5D?

Dhanan

Just noticed that Pana 55ET5D in a showroom for around 95K with 3 year warranty.

Price looks very tempting. Question is if one were considering Sony 47W802 (available for similar price) and Pana 55ET5D (both can be had for around 95K after some bargaining) which one would be preferred considering that both are passive 3D with IPS panels( of course Pana is last years model).

The moot point is, Is the Sony pic quality superior enough for us to disregard the larger 55" TV from Pana?

I demoed briefly both the sets but couldnt come to a conclusion.

Just noticed that Pana 55ET5D in a showroom for around 95K with 3 year warranty.

Price looks very tempting. Question is if one were considering Sony 47W802 (available for similar price) and Pana 55ET5D (both can be had for around 95K after some bargaining) which one would be preferred considering that both are passive 3D with IPS panels( of course Pana is last years model).

The moot point is, Is the Sony pic quality superior enough for us to disregard the larger 55" TV from Pana?

I demoed briefly both the sets but couldnt come to a conclusion.

I remember my experience with pana and I liked the 2d pic q of pana and so as its 3d. But have not demoed sony as yet. But sony has got good reviews than pana. But again it depends on how much of videophill u r and how much of constraints on budget u have got and how much of a deal is the size for u ... If ur viewing distance is more than 14 ft or so ...55 inch is a good size... But if less then 46 is a good size for led tvs...so it all depends... If I were u, I wud have bought Sony ...

For LED stay away from Panasonic..they are not good at all..would even pick a LG over pana..

I am not sure about the contrast..it doesn't look good..picture is not that crisp.
Though here will recommend w802.

A 55 inch tv for 95k is undeniably a tempting offer.
Suppose you think for a while that both are same priced, then which one will you choose?
I haven't seen the panny though.

For LED stay away from Panasonic..they are not good at all..would even pick a LG over pana..

From what I demoed Pana wasn't bad at all though W802,was clearly brighter and better. Also colours looked more natural on Pana.

A 55 inch tv for 95k is undeniably a tempting offer.
Suppose you think for a while that both are same priced, then which one will you choose?
I haven't seen the panny though.

From what I demoed I wasn't too sure that Sony Pic was so better as to ignore the larger panny screen. So I was inclined towards Pana. But it was a brief demo and I probably need to check out again.

Can any body who has seen or possessed the Pana ET5 throw more light on how good or bad a TV it is?

I have an opposing view. ET5D is way better than LG efforts. It can show a very smooth and cinematic picture compared to LG.

I had never heard of this model before nor seen any Pana LED but was surprised that picture was pretty decent for the price.
Need to check online reviews for this model.

Here is a review of the particular Panasonic model (42") the OP is referring to.

Panasonic ET5 (TX-L42ET5B) 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Can the gurus here let us know what they think about this Panasonic TV review?

Even I'm in the same league - I was quoted Rs 75k for 47" ET5 + 3 year warranty. l'm wondering whether it is a good deal for a good TV.

Personally, when I demoed I also found the PQ to be good. LG LA6910 PQ is better by a good margin though, and it is expensive too - Rs 87k for 42".

I was surprised, on this forum I have seen in couple of posts that both LA6910 & W800 42" costs almost the same Rs ~75k. Can somebody please share where the LG model is available at this price? I know that Shrey7 has recently bought this model (other thread), may be he could throw some light here.

Somehow, I did not like the PQ of Sony W800. For e.g., one could clearly make out that the channel logos on this panel is slightly blurred out. But, on LG panel the logos are much clearer. Same applies to OSD of scores of cricket match telecasts. This is one of a few other reasons I did not like W800.

Yes I have seen in the showrooms...and as mentioned I liked it ...but having choice of sony, I wud go with sony ...
[/url]

Be clear....You mean you still would go for a 47" sony screen with 1 year warranty, instead of a 55" Pana with 3 years warranty for the SAME price, given the pic quality of both?

Because the look of the image size on a 55" screen itself appeared quite overwhelming beside the 47 incher.

Be clear....You mean you still would go for a 47" sony screen with 1 year warranty, instead of a 55" Pana with 3 years warranty for the SAME price, given the pic quality of both?

Because the look of the image size on a 55" screen itself appeared quite overwhelming beside the 47 incher.

I like Sony over any brand ...as far as pana goes, I am of the opinion that pana is not an established brand in india, Especially in led tvs... So if I am ready to spend 90+ for a tv, I wud stretch my budget more and get 55 inch sony w800... U can get sony extended warranty , if I m not wrong...

With Sony you can avail 3 years extended warranty by paying additional amount. The good thing is that the extended warranty can be purchased within one year of purchase of TV.

My suggestion is that if you liked Panny LED and can't find significant PQ difference from Sony, then go for Panny. Screen size plays an important role for 3D movies.

I see no reason why you shouldn't get the Panasonic. Even though IPS sets are not outstanding PQ wise, Panasonic IPS sets are better than LG. And besides the size difference is also significant. :)

I see no reason why you shouldn't get the Panasonic. Even though IPS sets are not outstanding PQ wise, Panasonic IPS sets are better than LG. And besides the size difference is also significant. :)

Exactly.

Once adjusted ET5D is very close to the W800. I did a side by side comparison at Vijay Sales. A week later I visited and the ET5D was sold. I am of the opinion that W800 is seriously overpriced. For that matter even the 55ET5D was approx. 1.5L at launch.

If you have decided to go with IPS then the 55ET5D, as it stands now, is excellent value for money with a good PQ.

Hope it helps.

Here we are comparing with a sony set..and trust me w800 is quite good..picture is crisp and bright...I would suggest OP to get demo and decide on Pic quality only..you can buy extended warranty from all other manufacturers..if you want bigger screen size in less price..better to get a plasma.

I purchased Panasonic 55ET5D about 3 weeks ago. I auditioned many sets before deciding to go for this. FM Shaiju gave me a lot of useful feedback on various models so I must thank him. Some pros and cons about this set after using it for about 2 weeks:
Pros
Excellent value for money. You get a 55 inch 3D set for about 1 lac.
Very very good PQ on DTH HD. I wont say outstanding, but can give Sony and LG a close run after tweaking the settings. PQ on SD channels is acceptable.
3D is good, though so far I have seen only one movie in 3D, Amazing Spiderman, blu ray rip. No headaches with passive 3D.
Fairly good sound for a flat panel,dialogues are crisp clear. Of course you can't expect weighty bass.
Smart functions work well, watched some movies on Bigflix, quite smooth, of course it was not in HD.
Vierra connect site has some good apps, listened to internet radio on Shoutcast, audio out thru TV optical to my AVR was very enjoyable.
Blu ray 1080p playback is excellent. I felt like watching the same movies again, clarity is far better than my 7 yr old LG 32 in HD ready set.
Cons
Most important there is some back light bleeding noticed on a very dark screen. I don't know if this is only on my particular piece or it is a problem with this model.
PQ needs some extensive tweaking to get it right. The presets are no good.
Panasonic customer service is so so. The installation guy turned up at the wrong time at home. He also didn't seem to know much about the TV.
Overall I would recommend this set to anyone. Its good VFM. In fact its getting tough to find the 55 incher in many shops.
Amazon.com has many positive reviews of this set by USA customers.

Thanks to all for the inputs friends. Now my decision has become even more difficult as I am likely to get Sony at a discounted price. Now Most likely my decision will be between 47W800 and 46W950....another headache.
However I will demo 55ET5D once more before eliminating it. :confused:

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back