Sony 8G vs LG C9

Does LG arrange home demo in all cities? Any idea how to get it in Delhi? Call LG helpline or stores?
Just fill up your details on the website. They usually call you within 24 hours. I was allowed a week to demo. Certain stores also allow the same. For eg. Unilet if you're in Bangalore

Dont decide on the showroom demos as sometimes people there deliberately tweak the settings to make picture more appealing than the other on a model they have a high margin
Yes can’t go by showroom audition. But the colour reproduction was rich in the Sony mainly due to better out of the box calibration. This is a direct comparison and the Sony has a score of 8.5 where as the LG has only 7.6 in pre-calibration. But post calibration it has 9.6 to sony’s 9.4 which may be the reason for Sony to look way better in the showroom auditions.

Yes can’t go by showroom audition. But the colour reproduction was rich in the Sony mainly due to better out of the box calibration. This is a direct comparison and the Sony has a score of 8.5 where as the LG has only 7.6 in pre-calibration. But post calibration it has 9.6 to sony’s 9.4 which may be the reason for Sony to look way better in the showroom auditions.

But were you comparing the most accurate modes? Vivid and Standard aren't the accurate modes of C9.

A8G scores a bit less than C9 actually, in both pre and post calibration, but this difference can be easily attributed to panel variance.

There's no way compare apples to apples in the showroom without putting all the settings to be the same. Some modes also push color gamut to wide even for content that isn't mastered for that, leading to more saturation which might be perceived as 'richness'. So you must set both the TVs to similar settings and then compare.

I went to a LG show room and had a good demo of the C9. I only took three 1080p movies with each being just 1-2gb in size to check the upscaling cause both Sony and lg had their own 4K demo clips which was excellent. The c9 played 4K videos on YouTube not sure if it was HDR. Checked Video quality and it showed only 4K. So let me breakdown on what I felt with both c9 and A8. The upscaling was better in Sony for sure. The colours where more vibrant in the Sony and the c9 was washed out in standard mode. When I changed it to vivid the colours were poping out and looked bad,not natural.But when it comes to playing 4K HDR demo videos it’s very difficult to say which is better interms or picture quality with the C9 being more brighter but colours where washed out in standard mode but in vivid mode it was natural and vibrant.The c9 for sure is a VFM and the 65 inch itself costing just few more then the 55inch Sony.

If you felt that colors were washed out in Standard mode, the more accurate Cinema and ISF modes will be even more washed out. I'm talking about the default settings here. So this richness that you mentioned might be the extended wide gamut being forced on the Sony in whatever mode that TV was set to by the showroom. Moreover, there's a setting for for store mode in the Service Menu which pushes brightness even more and who knows what else. This is why I have mentioned many times on the forum in different threads too, that showroom comparisons are kinda futile.

If you felt that colors were washed out in Standard mode, the more accurate Cinema and ISF modes will be even more washed out. I'm talking about the default settings here. So this richness that you mentioned might be the extended wide gamut being forced on the Sony in whatever mode that TV was set to by the showroom. Moreover, there's a setting for for store mode in the Service Menu which pushes brightness even more and who knows what else. This is why I have mentioned many times on the forum in different threads too, that showroom comparisons are kinda futile.
Yes in both Sony and lg the other modes such as cinema home,ISF the colours are way washed out and that is why I always use standard

Yes in both Sony and lg the other modes such as cinema home,ISF the colours are way washed out and that is why I always use standard

So you should totally ignore the calibration score, because they are the most accurate out of the box modes. If you don't like them, the calibration score is meaningless for your taste, which is completely fine btw. You want colors to pop, go ahead. Turn them up. Changing color gamut to wide for all content will help you get there in accurate modes with some more tuning.

So you should totally ignore the calibration score, because they are the most accurate out of the box modes. If you don't like them, the calibration score is meaningless for your taste, which is completely fine btw. You want colors to pop, go ahead. Turn them up. Changing color gamut to wide for all content will help you get there in accurate modes with some more tuning.
Ok will check again with the suggested settings

Try the ISF dark mode. See how it looks. Then go to ISF Bright. In ISF Bright, the color gamut is set to Wide by default. I don't know about modes in Sony so can't recommend what to do for that, but you can follow the rtings guide as start and then change settings to your preference.

I would also suggest checking shadow details in the darker areas in dark scenes or scenes that contain a mix of dark and averagely/well lit areas. While this is not bad i like LG to address this especially when I compared it to the Panasonic. I couldnt play around with the Sony to confirm how it compared.

Also while gaming may not matter now if you so choose in the future for whatever reason the A8G isnt fit for multiplayer gaming

Don't bother with so much testing :)The C9 comes highly recommended by HDTV test, Whathifi (best tv) and the score on rtings is one of the highest. Usually these people won't go wrong (not all of them).
Sure I’ll try a home demo. Checked with 3 dealers and all of them offered it for 3 days

Does LG provide professional calibration? Cause most of the reviews are good for the c9 post calibration only. Calman calibration

Does LG provide professional calibration? Cause most of the reviews are good for the c9 post calibration only. Calman calibration

Would you really like the calibrated image? It tends to be warm and duller than others modes. Avforums and Rtings give info about pre-calibrated image too. You can also read avforums' review of the C9 to get a better idea of its capabilities. Flatpanelshd is good too.

And no, LG won't do professional calibration. You'll have to hire pro calibrators for that. Someone had posted links for ISF certified calibrators on the forum in some thread. Factory calibrations are good enough nowadays, unless you're used to perfectly calibrated image, as panel variance can't be perfectly tuned in calibration in mass production. They probably took a large sample size and calibrated the average.

Would you really like the calibrated image? It tends to be warm and duller than others modes. Avforums and Rtings give info about pre-calibrated image too. You can also read avforums' review of the C9 to get a better idea of its capabilities. Flatpanelshd is good too.

And no, LG won't do professional calibration. You'll have to hire pro calibrators for that. Someone had posted links for ISF certified calibrators on the forum in some thread. Factory calibrations are good enough nowadays, unless you're used to perfectly calibrated image, as panel variance can't be perfectly tuned in calibration in mass production. They probably took a large sample size and calibrated the average.
Oh warm and dull not my cup of tea. Professional calibration costs a lot right ?

@Love4sound, sorry if this post is OT. I can move it to another thread if you want.

I visited Croma on Saturday evening around 8:30. Just to review televisions and have fun. Still haven't made up my mind on what to buy - which means I had the whole ocean to explore. Being the eve before christmas, store of empty and sales guy spent his good time talking to me

Croma has a huge collection of TVs and I managed to see them all.

1. Samsung QLED Q80 65"
2. Samsung RU7100 - 65"
3. Samsung NU7100 - 75" (This is apparently 2018 model - on sale at Croma for 1.5L)
4. Sony A9G - 65"
5. Sony X80G - 65"
6. LG C9 - 65"
7. LG UM7300 - 65"
8. TCL C2 - 75"

I didn't change setting in any of the TV on display - so if showroom had any agenda with any of the TV and tuned the setting in particular manner - it'll have a bias on me. In terms of what the sales man spoke, he totally discouraged the TCL - said "chinese brand" word like 3 times. Samsung, Sony and LG were his favorites in the same order.

Most of the TV were hooked onto some 720p content that showroom was playing. Not sure if it was 720p or 480p - but it definitely wasn't FHD or above. All my assessments are based on this 720p content and not on marketing videos.

Both Sony and LG OLED did a crappy job in up-scaling and there wasn't any visible signs of motion handling. I asked if upscaling in turned off in them and sales guy said "NO". I still doubt if he told me the truth, or he knew the truth. The built-in marketing demo video looked like playing on a different TV compared to the 720p video. This was an eye-opener for me. Those OLEDs are being reviewed with a specific content which makes them great - your content is not going to be the same. The choice of TV depends a lot on what content you are going to use it for.

Compared to both OLEDs, Samsung QLED did a better job in up-scaling. With a non-HDR 720p content, the visuals were slightly better than those OLEDs.

Now talking about other LEDs. Sony definitely had an edge with their triluminous display and image processor on X80G. Samsung RU7100 stood very close and to me I liked Samsung better as I felt the upscaling was better and colors were more natural and appealing. LG UM7300 was just fine. I mean you won't be disappointed with it but the nanocell were not making any decisive impact.

Talking about 75in TV - for both the TV(Samsung NU7100 and TCL C2), the backlight was turned down. It was turned considerably down and you could easily make it out from the screen. NU71 did look like of last year as RU71 certainly seemed to have better colors and better up-scaling. Now the difference could have been in the 10" screen size but who knows. It was clear that watching a 480p or 720p on these 75in TV will never be a good idea. But then TCL C2 surprised me. It produced nice natural colors (which were looking slightly washed out due to toned down backlight), and had great up scaling. The 720p content looked lot better on this TV vs other OLEDs, QLEDs and flagships brand TVs. Plus the motion flow - boy, I could see the better motion flow or MEMC (not sure what TCL is calling it) - than any of the TVs I saw.

Now I know this may not tell us anything. But it is important for us to keep in mind the content that is going to be watched. I watch Prime, Hotstar mainly (yet to convince myself of 800 bucks a month for Netflix) or the TV from my Tata Sky HD box. My mom watches only TV. So this factor needs to be looked at as well.

I do have a Vu75 in office and I know it produces good colors. I have seen some HDR videos off Youtube and I have been happy. The challenge with TCL and Vu both is stupid remote and not so great android TV UI. Also - the service is a nightmare. Both these brands have started expanding in India recently and they seem to focus more of sales and nothing on service. The bad service stories all all over the internet.

I do feel that Samsung and LG are catching up with VU and TCL brands with both LG 7600 and Samsung RU7100 available within 1L for 65in. Given another 4-5 months - they'll come even further down.

I am yet to demo a Mi 4x TV though. That is one TV I have high hopes on. With 10bit, LG IPS panel - I do feel it'll have good things to offer.

@Love4sound, sorry if this post is OT. I can move it to another thread if you want.

I visited Croma on Saturday evening around 8:30. Just to review televisions and have fun. Still haven't made up my mind on what to buy - which means I had the whole ocean to explore. Being the eve before christmas, store of empty and sales guy spent his good time talking to me

Croma has a huge collection of TVs and I managed to see them all.

1. Samsung QLED Q80 65"
2. Samsung RU7100 - 65"
3. Samsung NU7100 - 75" (This is apparently 2018 model - on sale at Croma for 1.5L)
4. Sony A9G - 65"
5. Sony X80G - 65"
6. LG C9 - 65"
7. LG UM7300 - 65"
8. TCL C2 - 75"

I didn't change setting in any of the TV on display - so if showroom had any agenda with any of the TV and tuned the setting in particular manner - it'll have a bias on me. In terms of what the sales man spoke, he totally discouraged the TCL - said "chinese brand" word like 3 times. Samsung, Sony and LG were his favorites in the same order.

Most of the TV were hooked onto some 720p content that showroom was playing. Not sure if it was 720p or 480p - but it definitely wasn't FHD or above. All my assessments are based on this 720p content and not on marketing videos.

Both Sony and LG OLED did a crappy job in up-scaling and there wasn't any visible signs of motion handling. I asked if upscaling in turned off in them and sales guy said "NO". I still doubt if he told me the truth, or he knew the truth. The built-in marketing demo video looked like playing on a different TV compared to the 720p video. This was an eye-opener for me. Those OLEDs are being reviewed with a specific content which makes them great - your content is not going to be the same. The choice of TV depends a lot on what content you are going to use it for.

Compared to both OLEDs, Samsung QLED did a better job in up-scaling. With a non-HDR 720p content, the visuals were slightly better than those OLEDs.

Now talking about other LEDs. Sony definitely had an edge with their triluminous display and image processor on X80G. Samsung RU7100 stood very close and to me I liked Samsung better as I felt the upscaling was better and colors were more natural and appealing. LG UM7300 was just fine. I mean you won't be disappointed with it but the nanocell were not making any decisive impact.

Talking about 75in TV - for both the TV(Samsung NU7100 and TCL C2), the backlight was turned down. It was turned considerably down and you could easily make it out from the screen. NU71 did look like of last year as RU71 certainly seemed to have better colors and better up-scaling. Now the difference could have been in the 10" screen size but who knows. It was clear that watching a 480p or 720p on these 75in TV will never be a good idea. But then TCL C2 surprised me. It produced nice natural colors (which were looking slightly washed out due to toned down backlight), and had great up scaling. The 720p content looked lot better on this TV vs other OLEDs, QLEDs and flagships brand TVs. Plus the motion flow - boy, I could see the better motion flow or MEMC (not sure what TCL is calling it) - than any of the TVs I saw.

Now I know this may not tell us anything. But it is important for us to keep in mind the content that is going to be watched. I watch Prime, Hotstar mainly (yet to convince myself of 800 bucks a month for Netflix) or the TV from my Tata Sky HD box. My mom watches only TV. So this factor needs to be looked at as well.

I do have a Vu75 in office and I know it produces good colors. I have seen some HDR videos off Youtube and I have been happy. The challenge with TCL and Vu both is stupid remote and not so great android TV UI. Also - the service is a nightmare. Both these brands have started expanding in India recently and they seem to focus more of sales and nothing on service. The bad service stories all all over the internet.

I do feel that Samsung and LG are catching up with VU and TCL brands with both LG 7600 and Samsung RU7100 available within 1L for 65in. Given another 4-5 months - they'll come even further down.

I am yet to demo a Mi 4x TV though. That is one TV I have high hopes on. With 10bit, LG IPS panel - I do feel it'll have good things to offer.
I am surprised you didn’t find the upscaling good in lg and Sony. I didn’t test cable channels. I took a 1-2 gb movie file and Sony was fantastic with lg doing good. I stay away from Samsung always when it comes to tv’s. The greens and red are to saturated for me. Lg and Sony have a natural picture. I know Sony is the best for sure cause been using a Sony already.

I am surprised you didn’t find the upscaling good in lg and Sony

I was equally surprised. Even the sales guy seemed surprised. I said to him, "non-HD content to bilkul gobar hai isme" (Non HD content looks like shit in these TVs) - and he gently nodded.

Knowing LG and Sony have given best of the best in those TV - I just feel that there were not setup to handle that. Demo mode meant they did their best to play their built in demo.

Either way - I felt that the TV and its quality totally dependent on content you are pushing to it. Hotstar is 1080p and Tata Sky HD is 720 or 1080 depending on various factors. These two account for 30-50% of my viewing put together. 4K OLED, blackest of black, DV etc is not worth spending 1L extra for when my eyes won't be able to differentiate it at all.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back