Sony 8G vs LG C9

So someone claims Samsung is sharper, and I give proof their flagship models are not. Vincent says so himself. Flatpanelshd goes in-depth into why it's not sharp. Proof is there. Yet no one actually counters that but instead they make jabs at me. The level of discussion in this forum seems astoundingly low.

So someone claims Samsung is sharper, and I give proof their flagship models are not. Vincent says so himself. Flatpanelshd goes in-depth into why it's not sharp. Proof is there. Yet no one actually counters that but instead they make jabs at me. The level of discussion in this forum seems astoundingly low.
This is hysterical. Resolution is not the same as sharpness. Check out the link below -
Also, go watch the video again if you are so obsessed with it. I can't help it if you can't comprehend what you see and hear.

Samsung is sharper when compared to the OLED. Did you notice any lack of brightness on the TCL? I am contemplating on TCL 85 inch if the picture quality is decent. My budget is 1.8l. will wait for this year models. In any case, my priority is the screen size.
I always stay away from Samsung. Never ever I have went to the area where Samsung tv’s are placed. Colours are always overwhelming and not natural. Heard good about TCL.

This is hysterical. Resolution is not the same as sharpness. Check out the link below -
Also, go watch the video again if you are so obsessed with it. I can't help it if you can't comprehend what you see and hear.

Wow! Strawman argument. When did I say resolution is sharpness? Google it. Don't use such dumb arguments again. Moving on, resolution does affect sharpness though. In Samsung Q90, you're losing both sharpness and detail, along with the effective resolution being lower than 4k. All three are happening, as clearly mentioned by Flatpanelshd. When did I say they are all the same?

Jeez! Like I said, the level of discussion on this forum is filled with fallacious arguments. First instead of countering what Flatpanelshd has clearly demonstrated and Vincent has also mentioned, you rely on jabs. Then you move the goalpost and use a strawman argument. Can you quote me and tell me where I said resolution is sharpness?

Last edited:
I always stay away from Samsung. Never ever I have went to the area where Samsung tv’s are placed. Colours are always overwhelming and not natural. Heard good about TCL.

And as shown by Vincent, Samsung's color science makes it tough to perfectly calibrated the sets either. Oh! There was a thread here about this guy who had bought Samsung's The Frame and regretted it big time. He shifted to C9. Super happy customer. Search for it.

I have a 40 inch TCL TV. It's alright for the cost. TCL does have issues with DSE even more than OLED uniformity, and they are more noticeable in all the content. Since it's cheap, I'm not bothered about replacing it right now. Maybe later.

Wow! A) Strawman argument. When did I say resolution is sharpness? Google it. Don't use such dumb arguments again. Moving on, resolution does affect sharpness though. In Samsung Q90, you're losing both sharpness and detail, along with the effective resolution being lower than 4k. All three are happening, as clearly mentioned by Flatpanelshd. When did I say they are all the same?

Jeez! Like I said, the level of discussion on this forum is filled with fallacious arguments. First instead of countering what Flatpanelshd has clearly demonstrated and Vincent has also mentioned, you rely on jabs. Then you move the goalpost and use a strawman argument. Can you quote me and tell me where I said resolution is sharpness?
I said I prefer a sharper and brighter image and you quoted flatpanel review which ironically says Samsung is unnaturally sharp. Then you copy paste a paragraph which talks about resolution loss due to filter. This is getting silly as if it's some philosophical debate.

I said I prefer a sharper and brighter image and you quoted flatpanel review which ironically says Samsung is unnaturally sharp. Then you copy paste a paragraph which talks about resolution loss due to filter. This is getting silly as if it's some philosophical debate.

Unnaturally being the operative word. You can make C9 unnaturally sharp too. You can make any TV unnaturally sharp, but can you turn it off completely? Not is Samsung. So Q90 is unnaturally sharp while losing and smudging fine details, with artifacting and lower effective resolution. You prefer that and think that's sharp? Awesome! Purely on an argument basis, you post a screenshot from a video, in which Vincent clearly says Samsung is softer. But no, Samsung is sharper than OLED. Amazing intellect.

Heard good about TCL.

Have two experiences from TCL. One my BIL bought 55in - moderately happy. The OS and internals (RAM/memory/processor) were crap. Panel and colors on the screen that I saw were good. It was playing Airtel Star Plus HD channel and my viewing distance was 7 feet. I liked that I saw. those 1080p were upscaled relatively well and I enjoyed seeing the content.

Second is 75in C2 - except the backlight dim, the screen, motion, up-scaling seemed very good. I think they are good. TCL just need to launch good TVs here and not stick to budget only segment. Plus they need to strenghten their CS and support.

Have two experiences from TCL. One my BIL bought 55in - moderately happy. The OS and internals (RAM/memory/processor) were crap. Panel and colors on the screen that I saw were good. It was playing Airtel Star Plus HD channel and my viewing distance was 7 feet. I liked that I saw. those 1080p were upscaled relatively well and I enjoyed seeing the content.

Second is 75in C2 - except the backlight dim, the screen, motion, up-scaling seemed very good. I think they are good. TCL just need to launch good TVs here and not stick to budget only segment. Plus they need to strenghten their CS and support.
If you are really concerned about picture quality and motion just go for a Sony. It’s the best. For me it’s very difficult to choose the next tv just because I got used to Sony picture quality. Even with a budget of 1.5-1.8L I am unable to finalise on something.sony is best period. Get a sony and be happy for many years to come. Even now I am looking to upgrade just for the size as I am 100% satisfied with the picture quality of my current tv.

Same with me - looking to upgrade from 42in. Otherwise, I am very happy with my Sony.
Well trust me you will not be happy with the budget brands if u switch from Sony. Initially you will be happy with the size but after some time you won’t enjoy and will have the itch to upgrade if you happen to visit a showroom and see latest models .If not oled you can check the led line up. X950G except for viewing angles has good reviews. I had a rough demo and it was good.

c9 upscaling isn’t good.I have Blu-ray file aqua man which I always use to test the video quality and it was not good . 4K HDR John wick was awesome. LGc9 is definitely a winner for 4K but not if you will play 1080p contents so I am planning to avoid the c9.

Initially I too thought like you that LG C9 upscaling is not good, just comparing it with other brands in showroom. I too tried playing 1080p content stored in pen drive but was not satisfied. I was really confused because almost all the reviewers clearly mentioned that LG C9 is the best TV and there is no major difference between other brand's premium TVs, particularly upscaling is at par with other brands.

Reading this forum and asking some questions (Thanks to @Marakk) I understood that it is all about tweaking. Finally, I preferred LG C9. After getting familiar with WebOS applyed FlatpanelsHD setting with minor changes, I am completely satisfied. Here the real culprit is the default settings of C9. Now, I accept it is the best TV and value for money too as it is cheaper than other top brand' premium TVs.

Initially I too thought like you that LG C9 upscaling is not good, just comparing it with other brands in showroom. I too tried playing 1080p content stored in pen drive but was not satisfied. I was really confused because almost all the reviewers clearly mentioned that LG C9 is the best TV and there is no major difference between other brand's premium TVs, particularly upscaling is at par with other brands.

Reading this forum and asking some questions (Thanks to @Marakk) I understood that it is all about tweaking. Finally, I preferred LG C9. After getting familiar with WebOS applyed FlatpanelsHD setting with minor changes, I am completely satisfied. Here the real culprit is the default settings of C9. Now, I accept it is the best TV and value for money too as it is cheaper than other top brand' premium TVs.
C9 is good no doubt. I tried almost all settings in the c9 and somewhat got it to a decent settings but upscaling was no way near Sony. But when i tested 4K it was awesome but still the sharpness and richness in colours was clearly evident with the Sony. If 55 inch I’ll just go with Sony but now I am looking at 65 inch and Sony is way to expensive so I am waiting for a good deal on the c9. I am willing to compromise on the picture quality of Sony over size. 2.45L for Sony A8 is out of budget for me. My target is 1.8-1.9

C9 is good no doubt. I tried almost all settings in the c9 and somewhat got it to a decent settings but upscaling was no way near Sony. But when i tested 4K it was awesome but still the sharpness and richness in colours was clearly evident with the Sony. If 55 inch I’ll just go with Sony but now I am looking at 65 inch and Sony is way to expensive so I am waiting for a good deal on the c9. I am willing to compromise on the picture quality of Sony over size. 2.45L for Sony A8 is out of budget for me. My target is 1.8-1.9

Not sure if this has been posted or not:

Just have a look. Now this A9G vs E9. A8G has a slightly less powerful chip than A9G, but E9 and C9 have the same one. Also, Dolby Vision is better on LG. Every new Netflix show and movie being produced has Dolby Vision. Anyway, tired of useless debates, especially with that guy who just comes in to bash OLEDs without even having one good argument. Just watch the video. Make up your mind. Over and out.

Not sure if this has been posted or not:

Just have a look. Now this A9G vs E9. A8G has a slightly less powerful chip than A9G, but E9 and C9 have the same one. Also, Dolby Vision is better on LG. Every new Netflix show and movie being produced has Dolby Vision. Anyway, tired of useless debates, especially with that guy who just comes in to bash OLEDs without even having one good argument. Just watch the video. Make up your mind. Over and out.
I have seen this video. But based on my audition I am very certain with the difference between lg and Sony. When it comes to 4K the Sony is slightly natural,soft and smooth to my liking and lg was almost equal.But upscaling Sony smoked the c9. I was about to make the purchase of A8 but felt 55 will be small. So now I am leaning towards the 65 inch and I am waiting for the offers on c9. I see in the thread that some got it for 1.87L with cash back offers. All dealers took my number and I asked them to contact me when c9 65 is available for 1.87. A8 is 2.45 L. I am willing to compromise on Sony picture quality over size. C9 does win in some areas over the Sony. It has 2.1 HDMI, ALL, variable refresh rate and is much brighter then the A8 but costs less. VFM for sure

Last edited:

I still believe that you have not configured it correctly, otherwise you feel like this because you are Sony fan boy.

The answer is simple. If you can afford then go for Sony otherwise go for LG.

IMO, even if I can afford I will not go for Sony, I prefer LG as both are equal in terms of PQ.

But as I was working in electronic retail field, I know very well why Sony product is costlier. It is not only for quality but also for the brand name.

Final decision is yours. Advance congratulations on your new TV whichever brand it is. Enjoy the new year with New TV.

I still believe that you have not configured it correctly, otherwise you feel like this because you are Sony fan boy.

The answer is simple. If you can afford then go for Sony otherwise go for LG.

IMO, even if I can afford I will not go for Sony, I prefer LG as both are equal in terms of PQ.

But as I was working in electronic retail field, I know very well why Sony product is costlier. It is not only for quality but also for the brand name.

Final decision is yours. Advance congratulations on your new TV whichever brand it is. Enjoy the new year with New TV.
Well I am a Sony fan boy because of its picture quality. Like I said for my liking I preferred the sony for its sharp, smooth and natural image but c9 being almost equal in terms of 4K content.But for sure the Sony is better in upscaling. I myself want the c9 to be better cause it will save me some cash and is future proof with 2.1 Hdmi and has ALL, variable refresh rate which the Sony doesn’t. I have finalised on a budget of 1.8-1.9 max with size being 65 for sure.So I have spoken to the dealers and asked them to contact me when c9 is sold at that price. Sony is not coming down and quoting 2.45 for the A8. I don’t want to invest that much on a TV.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back