Sony BDP-S480 or some other 3D Blu-ray Disc Player?

vprasad84

hi guys,

I got new 3D TV couple of weeks back & now i want to buy a new 3D Blu-ray player. Currently i have an LG BD 550 which is good but i would sell it off & get a new one. below are my prime requirements

Should support BD/DVD/CD/USB HDD
PQ & Audio should be excellent
3D should be great
Must have USB & able to read & play media from atleast a 500GB USB HDD having NTFS Partition
HD Audio decoding/bit stream
FLAC Support (optional as i think no bd player supports it currently)
2D-3D conversion & built in wifi (optional)

I am ok importing from US by buying online but again it should support atleast region C dvd's & blu-rays. Again i could also opt for a Blu-ray+Media player combo but again it should support the region part & i think it's not yet available here as per the above features.

Till now i have inclination towards Sony BDP-S480 but i do not see any actual user/owners reviews on it.

Specs wise Panasonic DMP-BDT110 also looks good but i think i read somewhere that it does not supports NTFS partition. Please provide your suggestions & information about it.

I read bad reviews about LG BX580 that 3D is not at all good & audio is also ok & hence not considering it.

I have a budget of 15-20K & may be can stretch a bit.

just came across this site Blu-ray Disc Player which seems to have good bd players & the prices seems good as well but not sure how reliable it could be

Pioneer LX54 & Sony BDP485 is tempting me to go for it

check samsung D5500 3D bluray player, apart from bluray playback, it supports a lots of codecs and can play any HD filed from HDD or USB too, 2D to 3D also

I got it for around 11k, but if ur budget is higher then go for its upgraded model 6900 or something , samsung is good if you are looking for good codec support, sony doesnt

OK but i do not see Samsung 6900 model in Indian site but can see in the Samsung us site. How to get it here & importantly the power supply specs & region playback concern also

secondly i have my Samsung 3d led TV with the updated firmware & it (Samsung Smart Hub) does not recognizes many of my video files say .mp4 & some .mkv files as well. It can play few of .mkv & .m2ts files. It doesn't even recognizes some .avi files....but it all can be play back in my lg bd 550 player. I am not sure if it can be fixed as did not got time to work more on it.

More importantly when i play music from USB attached to TV, the sound is output to my HTS via the HDMI ARC & i must say that the sound output is not as good when i play the same music in my LG BD 550 & it is the main reason i want to invest more in BD player just to have great sound & video output.

Can you please tell me how is the A/V quality in your BD player. I can get Samsung too since i have Samsung tv.

its strange ur samsung TV does not play these types of files, when I was looking for my LED TV, I liked samsung just bcoz of their codec support, maybe try to do a factory reset and updrage firmware or its something to do with ur TV model, bcoz series 5 onwards they play mostly all files

yeah 6900 is not here in india but I think D5500 is more than sufficient, it also does HD lossless audio streaming through HDMI which most of the bluray players dont (AFAIK)

pic quality is great no complaints, great reviews as well, they say its very good budget 3D bluray player...

and yeah play ur music on bluray player or any player connected to ur AVR directly rather than TV ARC, that reduces audio processing circuitary and gives you clean sound

do one thing, take the movies files on a USB drive to places like croma, ezone etc and test those files there and se if it plays all or any othet player you choose, I did the same and LG 3D bluray player failed my test which did not played most of mkv files, but sammy D5500 did all..

yeah ill do it. my TV not able to read files may be as i have thousands of folders in my hdd. may be i have to create a single folder in entire hdd & try putting up few files...r u from mumbai too?...does ur players converts 2d-3d & does it has inbuilt wifi?

I am from pune, player does 2D to 3D but personally I dont think its of use, you wont like 3D converted pictures

it does not have a inbuilt wifi

yeah thats right...did you got any free 3d blu-rays dics...did you got to play 3d blu-ray & if yes then how were the effects....sorry for putting it separately as i missed asking in earlier post.

OK but i do not see Samsung 6900 model in Indian site but can see in the Samsung us site. How to get it here & importantly the power supply specs & region playback concern also

secondly i have my Samsung 3d led TV with the updated firmware & it (Samsung Smart Hub) does not recognizes many of my video files say .mp4 & some .mkv files as well. It can play few of .mkv & .m2ts files. It doesn't even recognizes some .avi files....but it all can be play back in my lg bd 550 player. I am not sure if it can be fixed as did not got time to work more on it.

More importantly when i play music from USB attached to TV, the sound is output to my HTS via the HDMI ARC & i must say that the sound output is not as good when i play the same music in my LG BD 550 & it is the main reason i want to invest more in BD player just to have great sound & video output.

Can you please tell me how is the A/V quality in your BD player. I can get Samsung too since i have Samsung tv.

i just copied few files to a pen drive & yeah they were well played in my samsung tv hence it seems it was because of the no of folders in the hdd. Also the PQ is quite good comparing when played from lg blu-ray player.

no did not got any 3D blurays, they were giving with sony ones but I didnt liked it

played harry potter the last one in 3D, played perfect

hi guys,

how about going for a sony ps3....i just went ezone & it was for 19990rs. 320gb & camera included....what could be the limitations i would face....it was running version 3.56 & it was unable to detect my usb ntfs 8gb pendrive & 500gb transcend hdd...but he was saying that if we upgrade to 4.x version it will....plEASE PROVIDE YOUR VIEWS...

hi thanks,

but i read that there is a firmware update which makes it play 3d blu-ray....is sony ps3's hdmi port is 1.4? does it supports decoding or bitstream of hd audio?

3D is very difficult to support by just software upgrade and given that ps3 do not have 1.4 hdmi, makes it impossible, fyi check sony website and check detailed ps3 specs

hi thanks,

i read that it supports 3d & hd audio as well in latest firmware & 3d playback is very good...however the major problem seems to be that it doesnot plays ntfs formated drives.....does it? also what all extensions it could playback

hi saj,

i finally get sony bdp-s480 as wasnt able to find out samsung 3d bluray in most of the stores including chroma, ezone & local stores. Infact wasnt able to find a 3d blu-ray player itself in any of the store in mumbai...i read on this forum that someone bought sony 3d bluray from reliance digital so i called their mumbai store & it was available there...i reached there & i plugged my transcend 500gb hdd & it was able to detect it but it couldnt read the folders...earlier i thought it could be a software issue but i told him to pack for me as i thought it would get solve after a software upgrade...bought to home, updated the software & the issue was still there. I realised that in my hdd i had 2 folders in root viz data & entertainment & obviously all my media was under entertainment folder. ther data folder contained more than 2500 folders & the entertainment folder has more than 200 folders. so i renamed the data folder to Z so alphabetically the bd player could read the entertainment folder first. Plugged back to bd & yes it was able to read all the media folders & i can playback all content which my lg player was. so anyone face this issue, then you can note it as a solution.

i got 2 free 3d blu-ray titles. The player is quite good & i must say that audio quality is much more improved comparing to my earlier lg bd player. happy that player is performing well good. thanks for guiding about ps3 & dropped it & got this one.

ps3 wont play 3D bluray but its a good choice since it can also play games if you like playing

PS3 very well support 3D. In fact this is the best player I have seen which does not become outdated because of technology upgrade.
I bought my PS3 6yrs back.Upgraded to latest firmware and its perfectly playing 3D discs!!!!PS3 got one of the best processors.
Similarly I have an OPPO 83 bought some 2yrs back. You can't make it 3D compatible whatever firmware u upgrade to.
Ya, PS3 do have restrictions reg file formats, but this is the best option if you ask me.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back