Sony klv-40v550 or klv-40s550

When at a showroom, is there anyway to confirm that the SONY 40V550 indeed has the AMVA panel? Would it be printed on the box or behind the TV?

If it is behind the TV, challenge will be, since LCD are wall mounted, kind of difficult to request the sales person to have a look behind the LCD.

there is no way to know which panel it has,unless u look at the pixel shape,which i had said in some earlier threads.the new 3rd generation of AMVA panels are realy hard to know since they now start to look like the SPVA,some slight variations are there which are hard to see even with best magnifying glass.but one thing is the AMVA panels have a wider viewing angles compared to SPVA and since sony only uses AMVA and SPVA the viewing angle can be good way knowing which panel it uses.

@Srinivas29
well the W550A may use a different backlight and appears to have a SPVA panel,so the colors do vary and preference is subjective and yes i too prefer the colors of the AMVA.but u should see the shadow details where the W series has the edge.its not that AMVA is inferior ,Z series and some X series models use AMVA but a higher spec one.

sony will eventualy IMO stop SPVA panels,due to relations of sony and samsung at all time low.will mostly uses AMVA and sharp lcds from 2010,with AMVA being better compared to ASV tech found in sharp lcd.

If I consolidate the major points as I understood..

* Sony KLV-40V550A is a good performer having BE3 engine and AMVA panel which gives the following advantages -- better picture, handling SD content in a better way, wider viewing angle etc.

* This gives better picture than W series W400 for majority of the scenarios. (Probably except for cases which involve extremely fast motion where 100HZ of W series is relevant). V550 was however doing a good job during IPL. So KLV-40V550A is a much better value for money considering the high cost of W series.

* KLV-40V550A is supposed to be better performer than KLV-40S550A and is better looking. (Probably worth the additional Rs 10K)

If everybody support me for going ahead with KLV-40V550A, that will be hanging in my wall in a couple of weeks.

* This gives better picture than W series W400 for majority of the scenarios. (Probably except for cases which involve extremely fast motion where 100HZ of W series is relevant). V550 was however doing a good job during IPL. So KLV-40V550A is a much better value for money considering the high cost of W series.
the 100hz is only available in W450A and W550A.

* KLV-40V550A is supposed to be better performer than KLV-40S550A and is better looking. (Probably worth the additional Rs 10K)

If everybody support me for going ahead with KLV-40V550A, that will be hanging in my wall in a couple of weeks.
well the KLV-40V550A is good ,but i for one find the 10k difference a lot,5k more would have been fine,offcouse u can always buy in the grey market and save atleast 10 to 20% compared to showroom,minus the warranty.i heard via one of the fellow members of this forum that they are getting the sony KLV-40W550A for 75k in delhi,which is mostly from grey market.

Last edited:
If I consolidate the major points as I understood..

* Sony KLV-40V550A is a good performer having BE3 engine and AMVA panel which gives the following advantages -- better picture, handling SD content in a better way, wider viewing angle etc.

Try for grey market in ur place. I bought in early May from grey. It costed 13K less (compare to current prices) and it was not launched in here by that time. Even the dealers out here were not aware about this model in early May. The piece was seal pack with Apr'09 mfd date. Looks wise W & V 550 go hand in hand and certainly will add value in your living room as compare to S.

the new 3rd generation of AMVA panels are realy hard to know since they now start to look like the SPVA,some slight variations are there which are hard to see even with best magnifying glass.but one thing is the AMVA panels have a wider viewing angles compared to SPVA and since sony only uses AMVA and SPVA the viewing angle can be good way knowing which panel it uses.

Are they(AMVA) better than IPS panals?

Are they(AMVA) better than IPS panals?

well interms of contrast yes,by a huge margin.IMO AMVA are kinda like all rounder,they have high contrast comparable to SPVA,lower input lag and wider viewing angle compared to SPVA.
where the IPS based tvs have the edge are in input lag and viewing angle.

Do not mean to hijack this SONY thread, but in many other forums the SONY 40W550 was compared to the SAMSUNG LA40B650T1R. However, for around 72K the LA40B650 is supposed to give very good feature set. Thus, pricewise it is lesser than the SONY 40V550. Certainly an attractive LCD when one thinks of features to price ratio.

One quick question for the Gurus here, which, the SONY 40V550 or the SAMSUNG LA40650 will display regular SD content (Tata Sky, DVD, VCDs etc.) better?

SONY is advertising that with BE3 in it can shows SD content better. Has anyone done comparison of these 2 LCDs?

Do not mean to hijack this SONY thread, but in many other forums the SONY 40W550 was compared to the SAMSUNG LA40B650T1R. However, for around 72K the LA40B650 is supposed to give very good feature set. Thus, pricewise it is lesser than the SONY 40V550. Certainly an attractive LCD when one thinks of features to price ratio.

One quick question for the Gurus here, which, the SONY 40V550 or the SAMSUNG LA40B650 will display regular SD content (Tata Sky, DVD, VCDs etc.) better?

SONY is advertising that with BE3 in it can shows SD content better. Has anyone done comparison of these 2 LCDs?

i would also love to hear the answer for this quest...;)

One quick question for the Gurus here, which, the SONY 40V550 or the SAMSUNG LA40650 will display regular SD content (Tata Sky, DVD, VCDs etc.) better?

Im also looking for an answer to this, before closing in.

well the BE3 whether its in a S or W series is better for SD content.no doubt the samsung as better features and VFM.
the samsung offcouse as the 100hz which makes the image look a bit sharp in fast action scenes like animal chase to a small extent on football etc

the samsung offcouse as it drawbacks its has a glossy screen which reflects,so if u have a bright room or windows at the back or in the sides of the tv u will see glare,so in areas of the screen that reflects u won't be able to see those deep blacks or details in shadow regions,its sound quality is by far the worst compared to the top tier lcd brands like sony,lg,panasonic etc.
samsung uses upto 3 different lcd panels ,with the SMVA tech CMO panel the worst with the least viewing angle,washed out colors.in india its mostly dumped with CMO panels.

but still in showrooms the sony prices are quite high,which is why i said it before and saying it again if u want to buy a sony buy it in the grey market,where u can get a W550A for about 75k vs showroom price 1.10 lakh.

well the BE3 whether its in a S or W series is better for SD content.no doubt the samsung as better features and VFM.
the samsung offcouse as the 100hz which makes the image look a bit sharp in fast action scenes like animal chase to a small extent on football etc

the samsung offcouse as it drawbacks its has a glossy screen which reflects,so if u have a bright room or windows at the back or in the sides of the tv u will see glare,so in areas of the screen that reflects u won't be able to see those deep blacks or details in shadow regions,its sound quality is by far the worst compared to the top tier lcd brands like sony,lg,panasonic etc.
samsung uses upto 3 different lcd panels ,with the SMVA tech CMO panel the worst with the least viewing angle,washed out colors.in india its mostly dumped with CMO panels.

but still in showrooms the sony prices are quite high,which is why i said it before and saying it again if u want to buy a sony buy it in the grey market,where u can get a W550A for about 75k vs showroom price 1.10 lakh.

technically speaking you're correct.
but still if any one who has seen both can compare how'z SD content on both models leaving behind the glossy screen of samsung one(i bet most of us, will dont be having problem with it) and most will not be buying from grey market, including me

technically speaking you're correct.
but still if any one who has seen both can compare how'z SD content on both models leaving behind the glossy screen of samsung one(i bet most of us, will dont be having problem with it) and most will not be buying from grey market, including me

the sd content is still better in the V series,in some fast action scenes the 100hz does make the picture sharper in the samsung,now its entirely upto to the buyer ,which he or she can live with or without.in a forum all one can tell is the plus and minus of a tv,if u ask some else to choose a tv for u ,its the tv they prefer.
but what i don't understand is why don't u people see for urself find out which is better in SD i for one will always trust my own eyes.

Last edited:
I agree with you adder,V series shows best results with SD (DTH),
Toshiba was second to Sony & Pany 3rd.

Pany LX800 is better ,but has uneven panal.

the sd content is still better in the V series,in some fast action scenes the 100hz does make the picture sharper in the samsung,now its entirely upto to the buyer ,which he or she can live with or without.in a forum all one can tell is the plus and minus of a tv,if u ask some else to choose a tv for u ,its the tv they prefer.
but what i don't understand is why don't u people see for urself find out which is better in SD i for one will always trust my own eyes.

yeah it's true that one should trust his own eyes. But until now i'm unable to find a dealer which keeps both the lcds & has some dth service available for comparison. Also if they keep both samsung & sony, they dont have both the models at that time. That's why i was asking for opinion.

So finally my search quest will carry on.

yeah it's true that one should trust his own eyes. But until now i'm unable to find a dealer which keeps both the lcds & has some dth service available for comparison. Also if they keep both samsung & sony, they dont have both the models at that time. That's why i was asking for opinion.

So finally my search quest will carry on.

If you visit big dealors(like croma,sumaria in Mumbai)they usually connect Dth to all models & do connect DVDp to LCDs.

I agree with you adder,V series shows best results with SD (DTH),
Toshiba was second to Sony & Pany 3rd.

Pany LX800 is better ,but has uneven panal.

Toshiba SD and HD resolution is quite good and I found that it has has one of the best sound as it uses SRS WOW technology. I am saying this because I purchased the Toshiba CV 500 Series 32 inch LCD and connected to Dish TV and resolution wise it quite good although we all know Dish uses a highly compressed signal.

If you can get a chance to audition the CV series then do so. The AV series is a bit oudated and would not recommend that...

Spiderman

Since there was some discussion in this forum on SD (Tata Sky) content and how it would appear on SONYs with BE3, auditioned the SONY 40S550 & 40V550 at Ezone & Sony Center this weekend. My viewing is 90% Tata Sky and 10% VCD / DVD. So mainly SD content. Viewing distance is about 8-9.

Both stores confirmed that there was NO DIFFERENCE between the 2 SONY models except the outer frame design and looks. Spec wise both are identical. From both stores got confirmation that they both were using SPVA panels and not AMVA. The only difference between 2008 models and 2009 models other than the spec difference was this years 2009 models are manufactured in Thailand while 2008 models were manufactured in Malaysia. The sales guy in Ezone was of the opinion that 2008 SONY models (Malaysia) had better build quality compared to the 2009 SONY models (Thailand). But this is very subjective and each one may have an individual opinion.

SONY Center testing: Tested both these LCDs (SONY 40S550 BE3 & 40V550 BE3) with Tata Sky in SONY Center. The Animal Planet & National Geography channels were crisp compared to the other channels. Did not check for all channels but randomly selected channels from Movies, Entertainment, News & Kids channels of Tata Sky. Kept the setting on both sets identical so that they could be compared. There was no difference in PQ on both these sets, so not sure why 40V550 is almost 10K more (now knowing both are using SPVA panels). The V series stand had swivel while the S series did not have a swivel. Not sure where / how to justify the 10K price difference. At about 8 feet distance the PQ of Tata Sky was passable, but got better as we moved to about 10. At 8, the SONY 32 S550 & V550 as also the SONY 37S400 with BE2 were really looking nice. So I guess the 8 is threshold distance for 32 & 37, but for a 40 screen size at 8, there could be some very slight pixilation on some channels (except Animal Planet, National Geography etc.), but passable (again considering one is not a videophile). My distance is about 8-9 and hence I am leaning towards 40, even though I understand that some pixilation may be seen on certain channels.

Sony Center had all 2009 BE3 models, except for the 37S400 which was a 2008 BE2 model. Price was approx. 58K. However, Ezone had the 2008 40S400 model. The cost of the 40S400 has reduced from 68K approx. to 64K approx., since the 40S550 with BE3 is now at 68K approx. Sony has however not reduced the price of 40V400 (74K approx.) even though the 40V550 (78K approx.) with BE3 is now available.

Ezone testing: Ezone had not got the 40S550 as yet. Hence, compared the 40S400 BE2 with 40V550 BE3 side-by-side. While not very much difference in PQ, on the BE3, Tata Sky PQ appeared to be a few shades better than the BE2. Incidentally there were also SAMSUNG 40B530 & LG 42LG80FR Jazz sets close by playing the same Tata Sky channels. The LG Jazz picture appeared to be a bit more natural (because of IPS panel), while the SAMSUNG & SONY appeared to be a bit more brighter, aritificial?????? (not sure if this is the correct term)....maybe.....but hard to really say.

However, IMO the PQ of the BE3 (40V550) was a few shades superior (crispier?? if I may use the term) compared to the 40S400 BE2, SAMSUNG 40B530 & LG 42LG80FR Jazz. Most people would not make out the difference, but IMO there certainly was a difference from what I could see. Infact the sales guy, insisted that the LG looked most natural ( bcos of the IPS panel) and hence thought that was the best looking, better than the SONY BE3. For me, I thought the BE3 SONY was a few shades better. So it is very subjective discussion and one needs to see personally and conclude. Finally convinced the sales guy, what I meant by PQ and he had to agree that the BE3 appeared slightly sharper in PQ for SD Tata Sky signal. For the special full HD content DVD that the stores play for advertising, PQ on all 4 LCDs was good, but I was checking it out mainly for SD signals.

I asked the Ezone sales guy his very frank opinion, what he thought sold best these days. He very candidly said that while he understood that SONY BE3 was superior in PQ, bcos of the pricing difference, LGs were selling the most the past weeks / months, followed by SAMSUNGs. Reasoning was, even though the PQ of a SONY with BE3 was slightly better for SD content (Tata Sky) etc., feature wise consumers were getting a lot more bang for their buck from a 42 LG (may it be Jazz or Scarlet 2.0). While the comparable features in SONYs was easily 1L+ in price.

So if PQ is important and main watching will be Tata Sky / SD content (VCD / DVD) SONY with BE3 appears to be better, however, am not able to justify the price premium SONY charges. For a slightly less???? PQ experience an LG or SAMSUNG gives a lot more features, e.g. 100Hz Motionflow equivalent, 42 (iso of 40 panel) in case of LG, USB with DivX (in case of LG) playing capability etc. SAMSUNG 40B530 had a very nice PQ too, but the color appeared to be too bright and artificial??, compared to the SONY (of course I did not tone down the SAMSUNG / LG settings to compare with the SONYs, since I never intended to audition the SAMSUNG or the LG. They just happened to be placed at the side). The SAMSUNG 40B530 is available for approx. 55K+-, much lesser than the 40 BE3 SONYs I was auditioning.

While it is very clear that the LGs 42 & SAMSUNGs 40 are more VFM with a few shades lesser PQ (IMO) to the SONY with BE3, somehow I am still leaning towards the SONY 40S550 with BE3. Ask me to give justification / reasoning for the price difference or price to feature ratio and why I am still leaning towards a SONY, I have no answer currently :). For some it would be a no brainer and theyd certainly choose the LG or SAMSUNG based on price:feature ratio, but for others they will still keep looking hard to try and justify the higher price for a SONY with BE3.

Throw in the 42 Plasma angle with its price & VFM reasoning in all this and surely it gets more fun with the thought, let me go back to the drawing board and see, what I really need...a SONY with BE3 for SD content or a 42 LCD that has VFM or a 42 Plasma which is really good for Tata Sky / SD content with great savings (considering one does not have too much of a brightly lit room and is willing to adjust by putting some curtains during the day time etc.).

Have fun guys! For me, I am still thinking if I should really go in for the SONY 40S550 with BE3 or look at the 42 LG / 40 SAMSUNG or think 180 degrees and consider the 42 Plasma option.

Sony looks natural than others.
V series has special surr sound mode than S,even Live colour is absent on S?
Check even 1080p/24p is present in S.

@Geo tracks
how can u confirm for sure that the sonys use SPVA.
the BE version 1 itself was realy good,introdced in 2006 this was strongly responsible for sony taking the lead in sales from sharp to be no 1 in sales,despite the huge price premium of sony,despite basicaly using samsung panels at that time.

the main advantage of BE3 vs BE2 ,is the handling of interlaced videos which u get in tata sky+ ,Big tv and in other deviced like DVD player etc. BE1 was actualy better in this department VS BE2 tvs.but overall BE2 was better with various refinements in upscaling and other algorithms,the BE3 just combines all this with further refinements,which still can't match the BE2 pro engine.
to see all those difference u need to take a DVD and compare,since the video of DTH is compressed heavily filled with artifacts,so if the source itself sucks there isn't much the tv can do or u can't realy see the difference because of the artifacts.like image playing a mp3 in 64kbps in a dynaudio setup.

now comparing sony/samsung lcds & plasmas vs lg,panasonic and other based on ips based lcd.to see the advantages u need to see a video that has details in low light or shadow details,where tvs with low contrast like IPS struggle,there dynamic contast engines screws up the image.take dvd like I am legend,Dark knight,Matrix which have lots of shadow /low light scenes.

now as to why the sony cost so much is because of the tax,the lg and samsung are assembled in india,where as the sony is directly imported either from malyasia or thailand.the grey market units are all souced from thailand since its cheaper,except X series which is still made in malyasia.even in 2007,2008 sony lcd tvs made in thailand where sold in india ,so those dealers/showrooms don't know much.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back