Sony klv-40v550 or klv-40s550

@Geo tracks
how can u confirm for sure that the sonys use SPVA.

That's what I said in the post. I cannot confirm, since I have not taken a visual (neither on the packaging box nor behind the LCD panel). But since sales guys from both, Ezone & SONY Center, confirmed the same thing (SONY using SPVA panels in both 40S550 & 40V550), had to take it at face value.

If you do get a chance and check out the panels for these 2 SONY LCDs with the 10x magnifying glass (as you said in your earlier posts), please do let us know your findings and confirm.

What is reported with SONY is high brightness in auto mode which can cause prob with dark scenes .Secondly viewing from sides,colour/image accuracy can change.(I m yet to find that)

That's what I said in the post. I cannot confirm, since I have not taken a visual (neither on the packaging box nor behind the LCD panel). But since sales guys from both, Ezone & SONY Center, confirmed the same thing (SONY using SPVA panels in both 40S550 & 40V550), had to take it at face value.

If you do get a chance and check out the panels for these 2 SONY LCDs with the 10x magnifying glass (as you said in your earlier posts), please do let us know your findings and confirm.

well the people in the showroom don't even know what SPVA stands for,or whats the advantage,they only know whats said in the brochure.

the magnifying glass trick can be done,but only when there aren't many or no people in the showroom,since the last time i tried that for 08 models,people were amused seeing me do that.best place to do it is in grey market.

the magnifying glass trick can be done,.

Buddy - Whats an magnifying glass trick ..? How do we work on this with LCD and what are the findings,,,?? Sorry on my silly questionare as im not an proffessional wizard ..but just trying to catch up bu gaining knowledge..

Please advise .. how do we perform the above..

Buddy - Whats an magnifying glass trick ..? How do we work on this with LCD and what are the findings,,,?? Sorry on my silly questionare as im not an proffessional wizard ..but just trying to catch up bu gaining knowledge..

Please advise .. how do we perform the above..

well using a high powered magnifying glass u can spot out which panel the lcd uses, whether they use a SPVA,AMVA in sonys,in samsung lcds they use one more type called SMVA,panasonic uses IPS or SMVA in their low end models,so by seeing the shape of the pixel structure u can come to know which panel they use.

the 100hz is only available in W450A and W550A.

well the KLV-40V550A is good ,but i for one find the 10k difference a lot,5k more would have been fine,offcouse u can always buy in the grey market and save atleast 10 to 20% compared to showroom,minus the warranty.i heard via one of the fellow members of this forum that they are getting the sony KLV-40W550A for 75k in delhi,which is mostly from grey market.

How is the 2008 SONY 40V400A compared to the SONY 40V550A? Understand that the 40V400A has BE2 while the 40V550A has BE3. Other than this, the 40V550A having a USB & an additional HDMI input (4 total), is there any other difference?

If the 40V400A is at a discounted price (8K to 10K less) as compared to the 40V550A, is it worth it?

How is the 2008 SONY 40V400A compared to the SONY 40V550A? Understand that the 40V400A has BE2 while the 40V550A has BE3. Other than this, the 40V550A having a USB & an additional HDMI input (4 total), is there any other difference?

If the 40V400A is at a discounted price (8K to 10K less) as compared to the 40V550A, is it worth it?

well u use it for gaming or for playing HD videos, then yes at 10k less is a good deal,but then again u can get a V550A for even cheaper if bought via the grey market or even a samsung B650A

well u use it for gaming or for playing HD videos, then yes at 10k less is a good deal,but then again u can get a V550A for even cheaper if bought via the grey market or even a samsung B650A

Thanks for your inputs. However, by the time I went to the store they were sold out. So did not get it today.

However, in retrospective, the salesman said that the new 40S550 with BE3, at about the same price that the 40V400A was being offered, is a much better buy in terms of specs & features, if Tata Sky is primary use (which it is) of the LCD. Not much into gaming or BR DVDs.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for your inputs. However, by the time I went to the store they were sold out. So did not get it today.

However, in retrospective, the salesman said that the new 40S550 with BE3, at about the same price that the 40V400A was being offered, is a much better buy in terms of specs & features, if Tata Sky is primary use (which it is) of the LCD. Not much into gaming or BR DVDs.

Your thoughts?

well i haven't seen the 40inch version of S550A yet,but going by the last year models they are more of a cosmetic difference with some slightly different factory colors compared to the V series and slightly tweaked dynamic contrast algorithm.

I was also confused about those two models finally I bought KLV-40S550 LCD, technically everything looks same except the looks which I didn't think was worth 10k.. :)

well i haven't seen the 40inch version of S550A yet,but going by the last year models they are more of a cosmetic difference with some slightly different factory colors compared to the V series and slightly tweaked dynamic contrast algorithm.

While comparing the 40 S & V series on SONY Singapore site, see that the KLV- 40V550 (called KDL-40v550 in Singapore) has an additional DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) feature for which the price difference between the 40 S & 40 V series can be justified. But the same 40 S & V models sold in India do not have the DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) feature on the 40 V series.

Curious as to why then is SONY India still charging Rs. 10K more for the KLV-40V550 as compared to the KLV-40S550. Surely only the panel difference (if any) alone between the 2 LCDs will not be 10K. This is kind of confusing, unless there is an explanation that I missing somewhere?

While comparing the 40 S & V series on SONY Singapore site, see that the KLV- 40V550 (called KDL-40v550 in Singapore) has an additional DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) feature for which the price difference between the 40 S & 40 V series can be justified. But the same 40 S & V models sold in India do not have the DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) feature on the 40 V series.

Curious as to why then is SONY India still charging Rs. 10K more for the KLV-40V550 as compared to the KLV-40S550. Surely only the panel difference (if any) alone between the 2 LCDs will not be 10K. This is kind of confusing, unless there is an explanation that I missing somewhere?

well apart from the DLNA,the KDL version have a built in digital tuner or a freeview tuner,well unfortunately in india sony pricing is always on the higher side,IMO they are making profits in india and losses in other countries,since sonys global lcd division is still under loss,according to sony they will only get even in 2010 and perhaps start making profits sometime later.
time and again i say buy a sony in the grey market,where its more VFM,u also have the liberty to check the unit u buy for dead pixels,backlight bleed etc.

I have bought a klv-40v550 yesterday for 1521 $.
I have hi res. photo of panel in which the pixels are magnified. I'll add in next post if you are interested.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back