Sony KLV-40V550A vs KLV-40W550A - Surprise news

GKV

All of a sudden the scenario looks changed !!

(1) Sony has decreased the prices of its TVs. The following are the new prices - MRP as in website and festival prices available in my city

KLV-40V550A MRP: Rs 78,900 Festival Price: Rs 74,900
KLV-40W550A MRP: Rs 93,900 Festival Price: Rs 89,900

(2) Also it is surprising to note that the specifications of 40W550A has changed all of a sudden. The WCG-CCFL and 10bit panel are "vanished". The addition from V550A is only Motionflow 100Hz. (Please check the Sony website). 10 bit panel is still maintained in W450A and price is still at Rs 1.13L.

(I am not sure what Sony has delivered to those who purchased W550A last month at Rs 1.2 L. As per the declared spec it was supposed to be 10 bit panel with WCG-CCFL and that was the projected reason for high cost)

My query now is whether 40W550A is worth considering for the price of Rs 90K? (I have seen 100Hz feature is really making difference, at least in the demo discs.)

the W550A indeed doesn't have the WCG-CCFL i had said this months ago,when it was first launched.
now the price premium for the W series is mainly due to the 100hz and yes it does make a differenc in some videos,if u look at some animated movies u will notice that they are more life like i.e 3d like.even movies like transformers look more better,it also help reduce judder in 1080p/24 movies .overall the images are much sharper and crisp compared to plasmas.
the W550A also uses a different panel,u can notice a trace of more shadow detail,with hint of deeper blacks.the W550A is indeed a better buy,but even better if u can buy it from the grey market where it costs 75k.

the sony Z550A is now available in the grey market priced around 95k,it has the 200hz motion flow and WCG-CCFL& 10bit.

Last edited:
tthe W550A is indeed a better buy,but even better if u can buy it from the grey market where it costs 75k.

the sony Z550A is now available in the grey market priced around 95k,it has the 200hz motion flow and WCG-CCFL& 10bit.

Adder buddy - The one's in grey market ..where are the LCD MADE IN FROM- Malayasia or Thailand..? Ihve heard that Thailand one's are cheaper this lacks in quality of LCDS and Malayasian one's are gud as they dont comprmise on quality ..?

What do u think ...advise with ur expertise comments..

Adder buddy - The one's in grey market ..where are the LCD MADE IN FROM- Malayasia or Thailand..? Ihve heard that Thailand one's are cheaper this lacks in quality of LCDS and Malayasian one's are gud as they dont comprmise on quality ..?

What do u think ...advise with ur expertise comments..

well both have the same quality,its just that the lcds made in thailand are cheaper to make due to cheaper labour.sony shut its japans assembly line a year ago and has increased the output of the assembly line of both thailand and malayasia.i did compare a model 32V300A made in malayasia vs thailand and couldn't spot any difference in performance or quality

All of a sudden the scenario looks changed !!

(1) Sony has decreased the prices of its TVs. The following are the new prices - MRP as in website and festival prices available in my city

KLV-40V550A MRP: Rs 78,900 Festival Price: Rs 74,900
KLV-40W550A MRP: Rs 93,900 Festival Price: Rs 89,900

(2) Also it is surprising to note that the specifications of 40W550A has changed all of a sudden. The WCG-CCFL and 10bit panel are "vanished". The addition from V550A is only Motionflow 100Hz. (Please check the Sony website). 10 bit panel is still maintained in W450A and price is still at Rs 1.13L.

(I am not sure what Sony has delivered to those who purchased W550A last month at Rs 1.2 L. As per the declared spec it was supposed to be 10 bit panel with WCG-CCFL and that was the projected reason for high cost)

My query now is whether 40W550A is worth considering for the price of Rs 90K? (I have seen 100Hz feature is really making difference, at least in the demo discs.)

The V550 specs doesn't seems to mention about 100 Hz on Sony website !

.overall the images are much sharper and crisp compared to plasmas.
the W550A also uses a different panel,u can notice a trace of more shadow detail,with hint of deeper blacks.the W550A is indeed a better buy,but even better if u can buy it from the grey market where it costs 75k.

ADDER:
(1) Are you saying W550A is capable of giving better picture than plasma ?
(2) Grey market is not a possibility for me. If I get W550A with warranty for 85K, will you recommend that?

ADDER:
(1) Are you saying W550A is capable of giving better picture than plasma ?
(2) Grey market is not a possibility for me. If I get W550A with warranty for 85K, will you recommend that?

well the plasmas will never look as sharp and crisp as a lcd,the 100hz and 200hz will amplify this effect.again at the same time some like the less sharp/crisp image of the plasma,like u are watching a movie,in a lcd u are more like u are in the movie.
as far as 85k showroom,buy at ur own discretion.what is the exact reason u can't buy it from the grey market.

as far as 85k showroom,buy at ur own discretion.what is the exact reason u can't buy it from the grey market.

The Sony showroom guy told me that the old W series is better than the 550A as WCG-CFL & 10Bit in the old W series more than compensates the lack of BE3. Any comments..

When do you think Z550A will be available in India. can you please PM me the contact if you know any to get it from grey market in Delhi?

The Sony showroom guy told me that the old W series is better than the 550A as WCG-CFL & 10Bit in the old W series more than compensates the lack of BE3. Any comments..

V550A with BE3 is giving indistinguishable PQ compared W series with WCG-CFL & 10Bit. (Eg W450). The only area where it was lacking was the performance for fast motion. The 100Hz feature of W550A covers that also and costs much less than W450.

When do you think Z550A will be available in India. can you please PM me the contact if you know any to get it from grey market in Delhi?

the same sony guy after some 6months will say the exact opposite,when the old stocks of W400/W450A is cleared.well most cannot spot the difference b/w 10 bit and 8 panel,atleast i can't,i would take a better image processing over 10bit any day.the WCG-CCFL can make the colors look different,its upto the individual whether he or she likes it or not.the W550A also uses a newer efficient backlight which helps reduce power consumption.there are other things that effects the colors, like color filter used in the panel.the newer W550A also have improved contrast.

the same sony guy after some 6months will say the exact opposite,when the old stocks of W400/W450A is cleared.

I would totally agree with that! In fact the original price I was quoted for W550A was 1.15L and after I gave a counter offer of offering to sell the same at 90K :lol: and informing them that the new price is sub 90K, I was offered 89.9K if I make a cash down payment (Im sure I will get a better deal at Reliance digital and also with credit card).

I wanted to see the performance of V550A on display for performance with tata Sky, They connected the component cable and the PQ was very bad with the whole picture being washed in red. I told them that there is some issue with the componet cable, but they tried to reason that this is how it looks on V series, W series is OK as it has better brightness, the store incharge even reprimanded the demo guy for not propoerly telling me this difference from V to W (see they were trying to sell me W over V). Any way when I pointed out that S series also has better PQ than the V, they tried to fix the cable but there seemed to be some problem with the connector which they could not fix!

How about Z series, at 90-95K I would want to go for it.. but I'm a bit uncertain about the grey market "gamble"

I wanted to see the performance of V550A on display for performance with tata Sky, They connected the component cable and the PQ was very bad with the whole picture being washed in red. I told them that there is some issue with the componet cable, but they tried to reason that this is how it looks on V series, W series is OK as it has better brightness, the store incharge even reprimanded the demo guy for not propoerly telling me this difference from V to W (see they were trying to sell me W over V). Any way when I pointed out that S series also has better PQ than the V, they tried to fix the cable but there seemed to be some problem with the connector which they could not fix!

How about Z series, at 90-95K I would want to go for it.. but I'm a bit uncertain about the grey market "gamble"

well using a good component cable does make a difference,better to take ur own component cable.
well given that sony gives only a 1 year of warranty and considering the price difference i think the gamble is worth taking IMO.well sony W550A in showroom vs Z550A in grey market,i would pick the Z550A.the Z550A does give a more sharper 3d like image very noticble in animated movies,normal movies are also sharper.better 1080p/24 performance.

the Z550A does give a more sharper 3d like image very noticble in animated movies,normal movies are also sharper.better 1080p/24 performance.

Would there be any difference for the SD content specially Tata Sky +. My main usage will be that only. (Tata Sky + 75%, 25% DVDs, Blu Rays only in future and will eat up into the DVD viewing percentage)

Would there be any difference for the SD content specially Tata Sky +. My main usage will be that only. (Tata Sky + 75%, 25% DVDs, Blu Rays only in future and will eat up into the DVD viewing percentage)

yes it does,fast action videos will be more fluid,animated movies will look better,

Sony Z-series is fantastic. I have seen 46" z series performing superbly with TATA sky. Images were sharp from a distance of 6-7 feet.

:) adder and i have had many battles on this point, and let me reiterate that you shouldn't rely on any such blanket statements. Try them out for yourself. Certain LCDs will have better pictures than certain plasmas, and certain plasmas will have better pictures than certain other LCDs, it is more useful to do a model-to-model comparison than plasma v. LCD. For what it's worth I much prefer the pictures on plasmas for a variety of reasons, plus they're superb value.

For 85k (price before negotiation at e-zone bangalore) you can a Full HD 50" plasma from samsung, why would you even be bothering with 40 inch (or even 46 inch) TVs in that price range unless you had severe space constraints, in which case again there are compelling options from the Plasma stable.

well the plasmas will never look as sharp and crisp as a lcd,the 100hz and 200hz will amplify this effect.again at the same time some like the less sharp/crisp image of the plasma,like u are watching a movie,in a lcd u are more like u are in the movie.

:) adder and i have had many battles on this point, and let me reiterate that you shouldn't rely on any such blanket statements. Try them out for yourself. Certain LCDs will have better pictures than certain plasmas, and certain plasmas will have better pictures than certain other LCDs, it is more useful to do a model-to-model comparison than plasma v. LCD. For what it's worth I much prefer the pictures on plasmas for a variety of reasons, plus they're superb value.

For 85k (price before negotiation at e-zone bangalore) you can a Full HD 50" plasma from samsung, why would you even be bothering with 40 inch (or even 46 inch) TVs in that price range unless you had severe space constraints, in which case again there are compelling options from the Plasma stable.

well i haven't said one is better then the other,all i have said is lcds in general be it a cheap VU or a high end sony produce a sharper crisp image ,thats the nature of lcds,by its design.i agree that there are some plasma better then some lcds and vice versa sine there are other factors.one of the main reason people prefer lcds even ifs its quite a lot more expensive then a similar sizes plasma ,is because of the sharer crisp nature of lcds.
secondly i have said again and again always trust ur own eyes.
as far why people bother about a 40inch tvs vs a 50inch samsung plasma,how about 50inch plasma vs a panasonic 42inch G10,there are may reasons why people buy a smaller tv even though they can very much buy a 50inch plasma,some have bought 32inch lcds tvs for the price higher then that of 42inch plasma.now u know the reasons for that ,they are plenty:).just like why one would buy a BMW 3 series which is smaller sedan compared to a bigger honda accord or skoda superb.

Last edited:
hey adder, there's actually very little to choose between the panasonics and the samsungs when it comes to plasmas, the panasonics have slightly better blacks, and the samsungs have slightly better colour reproduction, so the BMW-Honda Accord logic doesn't quite work. It would perhaps work if you were speaking about a Pioneer plasma. I do hear that the top-of-the-line panasonic plasmas this year are fantastic, but they're also very very expensive, and quite out of the budget ranges being discussed here.

50inch plasma vs a panasonic 42inch G10,there are may reasons why people buy a smaller tv even though they can very much buy a 50inch plasma,some have bought 32inch lcds tvs for the price higher then that of 42inch plasma.now u know the reasons for that ,they are plenty:).just like why one would buy a BMW 3 series which is smaller sedan compared to a bigger honda accord or skoda superb.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back