SONY SS-NA2ES Speakers $10,000. Worth?

I would audition it with an open mind if I had the money. Ofcourse, it would be easier to tell your folks that the price is, say 20000 INR, after all 'it's (just) a Sony!'. ;-)

Well said;
Just a small 'twist' - audition it - regardless of intent or ability of purchase.
That will give to you a 'fresh' perspective on the product.
Besides, you will be in a position to form an opinion on it - outside the commercial realm of things. That I think is a rather balanced point of view. You are not a 'concerned' or 'interested' person & hence your opinion is 'just' !
That is what I do, each time I listen to an audio product - at home or globally.
Sit outside the sphere & gaze at it - nothing can polarise your view;;;:D

The more you listen the more plural will be your point of view...just my humble suggestion..

Oh yes, absolutely. I don't think I would give away a chance to listen to any good speaker, affordable or otherwise.

Some 'older' Sony models;
These were 'expensive' back in the days too [1990's @ 16/- K US $'s]
:eek:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is an even older model :- 80's i.e.

Sony ES SS-M9ED loudspeaker Specifications | Stereophile.com

So just to give to you an example - Sony did make 'high end' audio gear - just that no one ever appreciated it - just because the brand value for it never existed - VW Volkswagen Phaeton - Great Car - no one expects a People Car to be made like this :-

I do hope my point of view I have expressed in a manner that it could be understood by all..

The more you listen the more plural will be your point of view..

Well said, would like to add few more things....:) The more you listen the more you understand the SQ and then you keep upgrading your music system ;)

Thanks for sharing this gem here.
Yes, I understand your point... I am curious to audition (at least) any of these high-end Sony's speakers :yahoo:

Some 'older' Sony models;
These were 'expensive' back in the days too [1990's @ 16/- K US $'s]
:eek:

This is an even older model :- 80's i.e.

Sony ES SS-M9ED loudspeaker Specifications | Stereophile.com

So just to give to you an example - Sony did make 'high end' audio gear - just that no one ever appreciated it - just because the brand value for it never existed - VW Volkswagen Phaeton - Great Car - no one expects a People Car to be made like this :-

I do hope my point of view I have expressed in a manner that it could be understood by all..

IMHO, their is a limit to what an ear can perceive. Eventually after a period of 3 Months - 6 Months, most of the speakers sound the same. I would believe, that there is not extraordinary crisp clarity than can come from a $10,000 Speakers, that can not come for good floorstanders from brands like Klipsch, Jamo etc. I auditioned the RF-82II from Klipsch recently and found them to be amazing. Came back home, tried to tweak a lot of settings on my system(Onkyo-3400), and could feel 90% of the sound at 1/3rd the price. Speakers like this might give you a sound or two extra, but are seriously not worth the steep price. You might not sit at home all day just to listen to music on your $10000 system, but rather want a great bang for your buck.
Also, surprisingly Sony should not make such a steep offering. They have some great sounding systems. But all their systems(>Rs.20000) are nothing in front of the competitors.

@ devilwearsprada.
Hi Lady **,
** Nobody it seems gave a thought to your name The Devil Wears Prada - The Devil Wears Prada (2006) - IMDb , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_Wears_Prada_(film) is a chic flick ,where Devil Wearing Prada is portrayed by Meryl Streep , one of the finest lady actor. Even the poster shows a Prada high heel ( dunno what it is called) with devils tail.
It is surprising a lady deeply in love with Prada ** fail to understand normal male fascination for gadgets and brands. I mean you have Prada , Louis Vetton , Victorias Secret , then we have fascination for Rolexes , Oakleys , Hayawords 5000 and our stereo systems or impractical bikes or cars.
One should respect each other I mean I have to understand that My daughter will play with Barbie and Dora and Guns , Swords , Cars have no value for her. Ditto in this discussion it would have been good if you have experience same / similar sony speakers. Frankly many ignored that your rant that all speakers are same after 6 months and your Onkyo 3400 ( a good VFM system ; but speakers are strictly average) sounds same as US 10 K speaker system . When most of the persons find the difference ; problem may be your choice of accompanying gear ; or problem may be with you.
So you keep spending money on Prada ,book those 10000 $ Hermes purses and carve of victoria's secret ; I will save money by using discounted laptop bag and entry level Hanes , and planning to spend on 200US$ cartridge and a good speaker stand ----- ;):eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::yahoo::lol:

( ** Sorry If I gauge you wrong , In my reasonably complex friend circle I never saw men admiring Prada or LV or Jimmy Choo although some of these brands have Pour Homme ( For Men ) range. In fact male brand fetish for ladys brand was funnily used in climax of Legally Blond)

Attachments

• The_Devil_Wears_Prada_main_onesheet.jpg
    The_Devil_Wears_Prada_main_onesheet.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I just rated the thread 5 stars:)
2ka843322472.jpg

SS-M3-640.jpg

2kab4df4d6ca.jpg

apm-66es-logo.jpg

Authors note: Top notch sound, unique design. Drivers were made from a thin aluminum honeycomb sandwich. These speakers are still sought after even today and are very collectible.
apm-8%281%29.JPG

sonyapm66esnr2.jpg

Sony%20APM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this gem here.
Yes, I understand your point... I am curious to audition (at least) any of these high-end Sony's speakers :yahoo:

Very beautiful speakers.
One day, in the future, my rooms will look like this. (the owner is "Acudeftechguy from avsforum.com")
8d3ad22a_DSC02940.jpeg

900x900px-LL-a660458c_DSC02389.jpeg

900x900px-LL-43402ffb_Seven.jpeg

The list of gears He owns are:

"Revel Salon 2 (2) . B&W 802 Diamond (2) . KEF 201/2 (6) . TAD 2201 (2) . ATC SCM7 (2) . FOCAL 826V (2) . DYNAUDIO X32 (2) . Linkwitz Orion v3.2.1 (2) . Philharmonic 3 (2) . Funk Audio 18.0 TSAD (2) . RBH SX-1010N (2) . Velodyne SC-600 IF/IC (4) . Denon AVP-A1HD/AVR-5308/AVR-3310 (2)/AVR-3312/AVR-990/4010UD/3800BD . ATI 3005/3002/2004/6012 . Crown XLS2500 (2) . SilverStone CW2 (2) . BenQ 6000W (2) . Mitsubishi 73" DLP"

I love this guy. Hope all you idiots would too.:cool:

We all love to see the specifications don't we :p

Sony%20SS-M3%20Setup.jpg

Cabinet:
- 2-Way sealed enclosure Loudspeaker System.
- Anhedral baffle design minimizes frontal area to minimize cabinet diffraction; musical tones remain clear and distinct, with amazing detail, transparency and three-dimensionality.
- Non-parallel cabinet surfaces to minimize standing waves; bass response is ""tight"" and accurate, even during loud passages.
- One-inch thick Cabinet Walls made from Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) with a burst strength of 4,000 psi for phenomenal resistance to vibration; even when the speaker is playing full blast, you hear the drivers' vibration, not the cabinet's.
- Individual Cabinet Pieces are cut by Computer Numeric Control (CNC), dadoed and assembled with high-strength wood glue, instead of conventional hot-melt glue, for superb rigidity.
- Extensive Cabinet Bracing made from inch- thick MDF.
- Slanted baffle board and meticulous crossover design for time and phase coherence at a listening distance of 3 meters (10 feet); musical transients are clear and distinct, stereo imaging is broad and deep.
- Cherry wood veneer on all sides, even the back, for a deep, lustrous finish.

Crossover network:
- Steep-slope 24 dB-per-octave crossover for reduced comb filtering, more focused, more linear, more natural sound.
- Crossover Frequency kept more than one octave away from any driver resonance or nonlinearity for smooth, consistent frequency response.
- Computer-optimized crossover design for maximum effectiveness and maximum simplicity.
- Separate high-and low frequency circuit boards for reduced interference, more direct connection between crossover and driver.
- Polypropylene capacitors for superior stability regardless of frequency, heat or humidity.
- Laminated steel core inductors exhibit ultra high saturation for superb power handling, low DC resistance for high efficiency.
- Ceramic resistors for excellent heat dissipation, simpler impedance.
- 5% Tolerance crossover parts compared to the typical 10%, for far higher uniformity, far better matching between the left speaker and the right .

Drivers:
- Mineral-filled polypropylene woofer and midrange cones for optimized stiffness, extremely low distortion, extremely linear response.
- Butyl rubber woofer and midrange surrounds for high compliance and high internal damping.
- Computer-optimized theile/smallparameters for deep bass extension and superb bass transient response.
- Extended woofer voive coil with increased overhang for high power handling, lower distortion during demanding musical peaks.
- Aluminum voice coil formers in the woofer has a large diameter, uses high-temperature wire for high power handling.
- Pro-flux demodulation rings in the woofer cancel harmonic distortion that arises from inductive coupling between voice coil and magnetic field.
- Fabric dome tweeter with directivity control plate for optimal high-frequency dispersion pattern.
- Ferrofluid tweeter

Awesome share. This thread is getting more interested :clapping:

2ka843322472.jpg

SS-M3-640.jpg

2kab4df4d6ca.jpg

apm-66es-logo.jpg

Authors note: Top notch sound, unique design. Drivers were made from a thin aluminum honeycomb sandwich. These speakers are still sought after even today and are very collectible.
apm-8%281%29.JPG

sonyapm66esnr2.jpg

Sony%20APM.jpg

I agree with Devilwearsprada in the spirit of what he says. To me, a lot of high end gear is just the emperor's new clothes or at least dangerously in the snake oil category. But hey, if someone can see a difference because of them, I'm not going to say they are lying. I also understand that hearing, as are other senses, are subjective.

On a different note, I wonder why sony makes only these ultra high end products, and then the mass market consumer stuff (for speakers). Usually most halo products usually spawn a line of derivative products bridging the gap. Wonder why sony doesnt.

Last edited:

With so much of good info on Sony here, it deserves to be rated 5 star. I did too :)

Oh btw, when people quote they should leave the piccies from the quote unless something to say about them. Makes the pages unnecessarily long :)

Agree, another point is... if somebody replied late or his reply comes on next pages; without images it may difficult to understand the comment for :)

Like I did above for Sony speakers which resembles like B&W, but I have removed other images as you suggested now :D

when people quote they should leave the piccies from the quote unless something to say about them. Makes the pages unnecessarily long :)

It is very similar to ONKYO GRAND INTEGRA series, Complete series was awesome and impressive.

Wow that is a really close resemblance.

Prepress, as others have mentioned already Sony did have very high end products at one time. The company grew at a rapid pace until they became a victim of their own success and lost focus. Even during those times, the company remarkably turned out some genuine winners. Its good to see a marquee name like Sony take a serious look at High End Audio.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back