Sony TA-F4A Amplifier : VU meters, finally!!

Do this pairing have a matching tuner and tape deck? I mean in general..

Yes, I believe the matching tuner would be the Sony ST212AL

here's a picture found on the web..

206059--26369532-m750x740.jpg

And.. Sony TC-U2 would be the matching cassette player unit as a part of the set/stack.

Here's a picture found on the web..

images

Last edited:
here's a catalog
Sony 1980 Catalog - High Res Scans - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

and my TC-U2 in action

the U5 would also have been a match

Your TC-U2 and the pioneer looks fantastic in action!

I have another vintage sony receiver and TC-U5 coming in today :yahoo:
The TC-U5 seems in decent nick but would need a service (probably a belt and cleanup).

Congrats pathakajit :cool: Sony TA-F4A is a beautiful looking amp & VU meters looks great!!

My Kenwood has big cool looking VU meters!!

Kenwoods.jpg

The Kenwood looks fantastic, Anil!
Looks fairly large.. i am guessing its fairly powerful too! What model is it?

Pathak and Anil,

Guys you have nice stuff!!:clapping:

Thanks, Shafic!
I am on the verge of getting thrown out of the house with all my 'nice stuff'..
I believe a diamond ring is in order to remedy a situation :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Your TC-U2 and the pioneer looks fantastic in action!
Thanks,
I am myself using a Sony STR 242L (slightly newer) reciever right now in the UK.

Thanks, Shafic!
I am on the verge of getting thrown out of the house with all my 'nice stuff'..

I have become very generous, and have loaned out all my vintage stuff to my close friends. Some of them are close to getting themselves thrown out of their houses :D

Thanks,

I have become very generous, and have loaned out all my vintage stuff to my close friends. Some of them are close to getting themselves thrown out of their houses :D

I like the idea of loaning the stuff out to friends.. will try it If I can bear to actually part with it. ;)

Here are more pictures of the amp.. less grainy, hopefully

HDkLRDw.jpg

g9wvLx6.jpg

FTcnl61.jpg

Looking dashing and so is the Akai amp below it. Congrats on a great find!!

Would be nice if you get the knobs buffed and polished, then the amp will look as good as new.

Last edited:
Looking dashing and so is the Akai amp below it. Congrats on a great find!!

Would be nice if you get the knobs buffed and polished, then the amp will look as good as new.

Thanks, Reuben.

buffing/polishing the knobs is definitely needed.. the corrosion on big volume knob is an eyesore..
These Sony knobs have a plastic core and I am scared that the covering aluminum thickness may be insufficient to polish out the corrosion. Will take them over to the aluminum polish guy and see what he thinks..

If you are up to it, take off the knobs and faceplate and keep them soaked in water and then gently wash them. Get some bike Polish fluid and polish it at home yourself. You'll notice the difference after the cleaning up! Just be careful about the lettering when washing and you'll be glad you did it... :)

If you are up to it, take off the knobs and faceplate and keep them soaked in water and then gently wash them. Get some bike Polish fluid and polish it at home yourself. You'll notice the difference after the cleaning up! Just be careful about the lettering when washing and you'll be glad you did it... :)

The home treatment of removing oxidization and polishing are already done. The corrosion (pitting) of a few knobs needs sorting..

Beautiful!
Any tips on where I could get such items? I am in India - understand finding one is a matter of luck and persistence. But where do I start?
Wary of the usual chor bazaars, but what do you guys think?

Landed myself the beautiful Sony after waiting patiently for an amp with VU meters.
Spotted it lying in the middle of a stack and initially mistook it to be a power amp! Inquired about it, got it hooked up and Agreed to buy it the minute the Meters lit up :lol:

Quick cleanup at home and fired it up. Working without any problems and sounding good while doing it.
Could not resist posting pictures of the awesome looking yellow ish green illuminated meters :eek:hyeah:

bsZJgLE.jpg

DzGZTt0.jpg

Apologies for the grainy pictures.. Will post better ones in a day or two.
Dear Ajit Pathak, how much have I been searching for you since last week when I read your 2015 post on Sony Tuner Amplifier in which you said that you wanted to sell and cancelled it. I liked the post and wrote to HiFi Vision. They replied that I can write to you individually but I can't reply on the thread. Now I'm very happy to be getting in touch with you. I am old time deep lover sound systems but my job (and other things not mentionable here) I could not pursue it for last 25 years but before that I spent 10 years in desperate changes of systems. I lived in small town away from Pune. Now I'm settled here. After so many selling buying of two in ones, ampli deck, amplifiers, tuner amplifiers all Philips.. I purchased Philips DH 898 having 75 RMS each channel with matching speakers and I have cherished it. I have Lenco turn table and 300 vinyl records. Well all these years I have been wanting tuner or tuner amplifier. I saw one with you which you cancelled. Last week I got offer of Sony ST 2950 S tuner for Rs 5000 from Delhi. Meanwhile I had spotted your review on You Tube of this or some other tuner or tuner amplifier. Please share your number by text message on my number 9370691812 or reply here. I will be very happy to get your reply

I like the idea of loaning the stuff out to friends.. will try it If I can bear to actually part with it. ;)
Did you get my long reply earlier?

Dear Ajit Pathak, how much have I been searching for you since last week when I read your 2015 post on Sony Tuner Amplifier in which you said that you wanted to sell and cancelled it. I liked the post and wrote to HiFi Vision. They replied that I can write to you individually but I can't reply on the thread. Now I'm very happy to be getting in touch with you. I am old time deep lover sound systems but my job (and other things not mentionable here) I could not pursue it for last 25 years but before that I spent 10 years in desperate changes of systems. I lived in small town away from Pune. Now I'm settled here. After so many selling buying of two in ones, ampli deck, amplifiers, tuner amplifiers all Philips.. I purchased Philips DH 898 having 75 RMS each channel with matching speakers and I have cherished it. I have Lenco turn table and 300 vinyl records. Well all these years I have been wanting tuner or tuner amplifier. I saw one with you which you cancelled. Last week I got offer of Sony ST 2950 S tuner for Rs 5000 from Delhi. Meanwhile I had spotted your review on You Tube of this or some other tuner or tuner amplifier. Please share your number by text message on my number 9370691812 or reply here. I will be very happy to get your reply

Did you get my long reply earlier?
Hi. I too am intrested in this vintage stuff. How is the sony St 2950 S that was offered to you.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!