Sound bar or traditional Home theatre ?

coolcatric

Hello Fellas !

Need some inputs and suggestions on whether I should buy a sound bar or a complete home theatre set. Though I’m inclined towards a sound bar as I don’t want too many wires and it’s easy to carry etc.. only thing I’m concerned about is the quality of sound and does it do justice to 5.1, Atmos etc.

My current set up is -

1. Philips 4K 55PUS 6482 (with Netflix app inbuilt)
2. PS 4 Pro.
3. Room size is medium, distance from TV is 10ft.

My main viewing will be 4K content directly streamed to the TV via Netflix and games on the Ps 4 pro. The TV does support HDMI ARC.

Budget - Anything between 40K to 60K, I live in Sweden so I’m assuming it will cheaper than INDIA prices specially around the Black Friday sales.

Could you suggest me some models ?

Thanks in advance.
Peace.

If you are into the atmos content then no soundbar can do justice. Start doing the dealer place visits to judge this critically for yourself.

Soundbar is no match for a proper 5.1 system.

You can build step by step.
Start with AVR + Bookshelf Pair
Later add Sub, Surround, Center etc.

You can start with Denon 550BT + Polk/Dali/Elac/Mission/SVS/KEF Bookshelf Speakers

You may also consider used AVR/Speakers to start with, later you can upgrade.

Yes, wiring is a requirement, but it's worth. Try to find option for concealed wiring or do casing n caping

One more option. Stereo. Get bookshelf speakers and an amplifier, or go powered stereo speakers.(better than any soundbar IMO).
If you are into the atmos content then no soundbar can do justice. Start doing the dealer place visits to judge this critically for yourself.
Soundbar is no match for a proper 5.1 system.

You can build step by step.
Start with AVR + Bookshelf Pair
Later add Sub, Surround, Center etc.

You can start with Denon 550BT + Polk/Dali/Elac/Mission/SVS/KEF Bookshelf Speakers

You may also consider used AVR/Speakers to start with, later you can upgrade.

Yes, wiring is a requirement, but it's worth. Try to find option for concealed wiring or do casing n caping

Thank you for your suggestions. I’m also of the same opinion that a sound bar is no match to wired AVR with speakers, however given few reasons like - the space constraints and the fact that I will need to move twice next year and I own Onkyo TX NR 737 with Jamo speaker back in India, thought of trying a sound bar which can do some justic to 5.1 and Atmos.

Given these facts, which budget soundbar would you recommend ?

I heard the JBL Bar 5.1 has detachable speakers. Also the mid range by Sony is worth checking.

Any suggestions ?

Soundbar does make the setup simple, especially when you've space constraints.
I've auditioned 'Definitive technology W studio micro' at sounds quite good. It comes with a wireless sub.
Not sure about the surround/atmos as I was considering it only for the music (again due to space constraints).

Thank you for your suggestions. I’m also of the same opinion that a sound bar is no match to wired AVR with speakers, however given few reasons like - the space constraints and the fact that I will need to move twice next year and I own Onkyo TX NR 737 with Jamo speaker back in India, thought of trying a sound bar which can do some justic to 5.1 and Atmos.

I heard the JBL Bar 5.1 has detachable speakers. Also the mid range by Sony is worth checking.

Any suggestions ?
In that case, suggest you forget the atmos part & go for a soundbar that will give you best sound output

Usual suspects are from yamaha, jbl, pioneer but have no clue of pricing as usually Scandinavia pricing is on the higher side.

Hi

With the tech race in the market.....and competition.....brands keep updating their models almost once or twice in a year......no AVR can be total future proof in terms of features to last for 3-5 years........

Get an AVR where you will use almost 75% of the features......if going to use only 50% or less...get a flagship old model of a certain brand which will ensure better built quality, durability, sound quality and performance......

Audition and decide....given the space constraints...decide on speaker placement....type (satellite/bookshelf) etc.

And if you were to suggest a future proof AVR, where will you put your money ?
Hi

With the tech race in the market.....and competition.....brands keep updating their models almost once or twice in a year......no AVR can be total future proof in terms of features to last for 3-5 years........

Get an AVR where you will use almost 75% of the features......if going to use only 50% or less...get a flagship old model of a certain brand which will ensure better built quality, durability, sound quality and performance......

Audition and decide....given the space constraints...decide on speaker placement....type (satellite/bookshelf) etc.

FM @efernand1 has correctly stated scenario. Based on your requirements, look at some mid range model in new or phased out older model that goes on sale at discounted prices. Usually yamaha rx5 series, denon 2000 & pioneer 9 series are all good at their price to features ratio, take demo & decide.

Soundbars will at best do 3.1 (if sub is included with SB) or attempt to mimic 5.x
AVR is recommended for 5.1 and above; if you have the space/budget.

That said, many soundbars can do a decent job of rendering immersive sound in small spaces; though not true surround sound.
Check Monitor Audio ASB-10. Claims to do Dolby digital (if so good enough for most scenarios)
In your budget range too.

Since you are in Sweden, and are familiar with Jamo sound, check their offerings too.

Cheers,
Raghu

I recently heard sonos soundbar which has capability to connect to two wireless sonos play for surrounds and sonos sub to make it 5.1 setup.

The sound was awesome and has all the connectivity options, alexa inbuilt etc.

I guess that's the future... The cost of full setup would be more than 1lac in india while here in denmark it's alteast 40% less than in india. I hope same goes for sweden or you can drive here

Last edited:

Any suggestions ?

You can check the Sony HT ST 5000 soundbar. It comes with a wireless sub and has ATMOS too.

My main viewing will be 4K content directly streamed to the TV via Netflix and games on the Ps 4 pro. The TV does support HDMI ARC.

An AVR + 3.0.2 set-up is better, assuming you get multichannel out thru netflix.. You may consider Pioneer VSX 832, a 5.1 AVR (either surr back or front heights) that supports Atmos & DTS X and a pair of FS/BS with height channels integrated..

Budget - Anything between 40K to 60K, I live in Sweden so I’m assuming it will cheaper than INDIA prices specially around the Black Friday sales.

Anywhere outside India, is defnetly cheaper for hi-fi..

Share some of the most popular sites (links) in that region to suggest speakers..

Hi

You are right, even if the AVR does it;s job for 5 years, i should be good. The ones i'm eyeing have DTS Atmos & DTS:X supported with 7.1 setup. I don'y see going to a 9.1+ setup anytime in near future.

Though very confused with which AVR to go.

FM @efernand1 has correctly stated scenario. Based on your requirements, look at some mid range model in new or phased out older model that goes on sale at discounted prices. Usually yamaha rx5 series, denon 2000 & pioneer 9 series are all good at their price to features ratio, take demo & decide.

I have the Denon AVR X2500H, Sony STR DN1080 & Onkyo TX NR 686 in my list at the moment. Any other suggestions in this range ?

Soundbars will at best do 3.1 (if sub is included with SB) or attempt to mimic 5.x
AVR is recommended for 5.1 and above; if you have the space/budget.

That said, many soundbars can do a decent job of rendering immersive sound in small spaces; though not true surround sound.
Check Monitor Audio ASB-10. Claims to do Dolby digital (if so good enough for most scenarios)
In your budget range too.

Since you are in Sweden, and are familiar with Jamo sound, check their offerings too.

Cheers,
Raghu

Yes, though my current place is very small, but i will moving in 6 months. So rather than spending Euro 700 on a soundbar right now, why not to spend Euro 1000 on a AVR setup (that's the thought i'm having right now).

I recently heard sonos soundbar which has capability to connect to two wireless sonos play for surrounds and sonos sub to make it 5.1 setup.

The sound was awesome and has all the connectivity options, alexa inbuilt etc.

I guess that's the future... The cost of full setup would be more than 1lac in india while here in denmark it's alteast 40% less than in india. I hope same goes for sweden or you can drive here

Sonos is definitely good, but the setup will be very expensive & it lacks Atmos & DTS:X.

You may consider Polk MagniFi Max SR
It is a soundbar with Wireless subwoofer and 2 surround speakers.

I think i'm sold for a AVR setup now :)

You can check the Sony HT ST 5000 soundbar. It comes with a wireless sub and has ATMOS too.

I was considering that & the Sony ZF9, but the HT ST 5000 is EURO 1500, which is lot of money for a sound bar. Hence thought of going for AVR setup.

An AVR + 3.0.2 set-up is better, assuming you get multichannel out thru netflix.. You may consider Pioneer VSX 832, a 5.1 AVR (either surr back or front heights) that supports Atmos & DTS X and a pair of FS/BS with height channels integrated..

Anywhere outside India, is defnetly cheaper for hi-fi..

Share some of the most popular sites (links) in that region to suggest speakers..

Hey thanks for that, here is the links -

https://www.prisjakt.nu/

This site collates prices form all local websites & gives the best price.

Buy sound bar with subwoofer only if you can place the subwoofer near the sound bar..
Otherwise your subwoofer will become a surround speaker

noted sir.

Further to mu above post, the price for AVR's under consuderation as below -

1. Denon AVR - X2500H - 6200 SEK
2. Sony STR - DN 1080 - 5000 SEK
3. Onkyo TX NR 686 - 5600 SEK

Open for inputs, alternate options please.

Thanks in advance.

Back