Soundcard performance

Is there any sound card which can do DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD? so that i can take 7.1 analog out to avr?

Is there any sound card which can do DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD? so that i can take 7.1 analog out to avr?

Still no as SC decodes to get 7.1 out I suppose
(Azuntech has new HD card & may it be doing that.),
They can decode & output as LPCM via HDMI.

Still no as SC decodes to get 7.1 out I suppose
(Azuntech has new HD card & may it be doing that.),
They can decode & output as LPCM via HDMI.
User reviews for that card tell it has issues with handshaking to AVRs. 5770 is a much cheaper option to get same or better audio in addition to video.
so i am going for a 5770 itself, yet to decide on AVR though.

hello friends,

Please confirm that:
- does xonar essence stx able to process 5.1 channel sound towards AVR via digital ports(Optical/coaxial).
- does XONAR HDAV 1.3 have Graphic card capabilities.

regards,
vinay singh

thanks spirovious

that means HDAV just pass through the vedio signal that it receive from Graphice card....

what about xonar essence stx, does it able to process 5.1 channel sound towards AVR via digital ports(Optical/coaxial).

Check if it passes 5.1 OR stereo through SPDF.
There is anotherway probably, use players decoder(say vlc & pass it via spdf out of card)by changing some settings in XP.

There is anotherway probably, use players decoder(say vlc & pass it via spdf out of card)by changing some settings in XP.

no offense meant for the HDAV as it is an excellent sound card, but after the launch of the ASUS 5xxx graphic cards there are better alternatives..
If u have a decent AVR which decodes DD/DTS/True HD etc then basically you need the sound card just to decode stereo sound from MP3/FLAC/WAV files. Even movies which have stereo sound can be configured to send output to sound card rather than HDMI
In a HTPC with onboard gfx you already have a SPDIF for DD/DTS passthru, with stereo sound passed on HDMI.
I wd recommend XONAR ST/STX for 8k to handle all the stereo sound needs...
If you want decode TrueHD and higher sound formats in AVR which cannot be passed thru SPDIF and want improved graphic performance then go for 5xxx series starting at 3-4k (5450) with the higher end at 23k (5870) all capable of bitstreaming higher end audio formats to AVR

but this is all possible only if you have PCI x16 + PCI x1 on ur motherboard

Hey friends / Experts / one who own xonar essence stx ,

plz confirm if it able to process 5.1 channel sound towards AVR via digital ports(Optical/coaxial).

I've finally got my soundstorm 5.1 dolby digital soundcard build onto the mobo working with digital signal but the center channel is missing in stereo rofl. looks like ill have to improvise with some driver modifications. 1st gen DDL soundcard tech :)

Update, the dfi nforce 2 ultra 400 infinity mobo requires "createcenter" to be set to 1 from 0 in regedit

Last edited:

Wow, 11.5k for the ST without the daughter card.. sounds expensive. the hdav deluxe with the dc is about 13k odd.... and how come no one else is selling this card. is this guy on techenclave selling imported pieces or is this from asus india, this could effect the warranty. No point getting from 20north for 15k

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back