Source vs Amplification where would you put the 35000$

Honestly , if I had that much dough , I would bug the living hell out of vinyl collectors and acquire the best , the absolute best pressings of my favourite albums in the best physical condition. The UK first mono pressings having double digit catalog numbers of Beatles studio albums alone would exceed this hypothetical budget.If I had any left I would get the highest end VPI.

It’s the source media that makes or breaks the sound and one should spend the maximum possible budget on it, IMHO.
But if you don't have an analog setup that can extract every bit of the beauty from these pressings.......

But if you don't have an analog setup that can extract every bit of the beauty from these pressings.......

Yes , will allocate around 7-8L for a reference grade TT from VPI.

Any TT above that range I feel are more art-deco pieces rather than acoustically better.

Another 8L for a Koetsu reference MC cart.
There goes 16L out of your generous 25L. :)

Last edited:
I assumed the question asked was about buying something now for listening to music and bringing relatively more improvement in SQ and not whether it holds its value in the future. For investment purposes, there are other items to be bought and not audio equipment...
Yes. That is correct. The question is what is the best way to go out of ONLY these two choices. Not future investment purposes (for that one should put it all in the SP500 index fund :) ).

Basically a source vs amplification question.

Assume your system is good enough for you to hear the differences.
This sentence presumably takes care lots of issues, amp speakers synergy, cables etc...
The obvious Choice from my perspective will be Source / DAC instead of Amplification.

Yes , will allocate around 7-8L for a reference grade TT from VPI.

Any TT above that range I feel are more art-deco pieces rather than acoustically better.

Another 8L for a Koetsu reference MC cart.
There goes 16L out of your generous 25L. :)
9L for the phono stage :p

I would go Source. If its Analogue - TT+Cart+Phono and else CDP/Streamer+ DAC.

Any setup benefits from an improvement in source, but amplification at that level would not be of much use without an equivalent quality source !

Now you are contradicting your own ‘parameters of the question’ (only one change). Especially as you’ve stated “Assume your system is good enough for you to hear the differences.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you are contradicting your own ‘parameters of the question’ (only one change). Especially as you’ve stated “Assume your system is good enough for you to hear the differences.”
I don't understand how. The point I was making was you can have the best pressing, but you might need a world-class analog setup to hear all that the $500 first edition pressing has to offer.

Again I maintain that the parameters of the question is only about the gear, not the source material.

It was my bad that I answered a tangent that was outside the parameters of a question :) as you rightly point out. Was that it?

How so ? OP is talking about analog source only.

I agree with Nikhil whole-heartedly. :)
If I have a choice I would spend that money on source/DAC.

Source might be a TT, SACD player, a transport cum server (whether custom built or branded like Aurneder W20SE) or a DAC.

Next inwould buy speakers and then amplifier.

Amplifier for me. At that price level I am assuming that source is of equally good quality but for me good amplification is the first love.

I would invest in source - it portably wont change - what recorded is recorded!
Amplification technologies, products and listening preferences will change as we get older and our tastes change or we expand our horizons.

On a side note, I'll pimp the f*** out of room with soundproofing/management before I spend on amplification.
I'll probably also spend a couple of lacks on a good present for the significant other to make sure al the stars stay aligned, if you know what I mean _-) - Think of as an investment!

For me it would be sources. With this fabulous amount of money I shall buy vinyls( obviously first pressing in NM condition), UK pressed CDs . Had I been allowed to spend some amount for sources and some others for amp and speakers even, I would have spent that total amount for sources.
Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back