Source vs Amplification where would you put the 35000$

My guess would be Lampizator top of the line. Or maybe Totaldac. This guess is based on what I would have considered in that price range.

You tease ..Out with more details !! :D
Lol, sorry, don't want to jinx it. Am waiting for it to arrive and bring Coltrane out of his grave and into my living room, before I announce it. If not, I will just drown my sorrows in some single malt, one bottle at a time.

My guess would be Lampizator top of the line. Or maybe Totaldac. This guess is based on what I would have considered in that price range.
Those were the #2 and #3 on the list. But no dealers/support in India :(, also very pedestrian build-quality for the asking price.

I'll probably also spend a couple of lacks on a good present for the significant other to make sure al the stars stay aligned, if you know what I mean _-) - Think of as an investment!
Wisdom for the ages!

Then it probably is the Nagra since you mentioned in the first post it’s probably the best you have heard :)

Lol yes. That was easy enough. Yeah it's the Nagra Tube DAC (the next iteration of the Nagra HD DAC).

Congratulations. Eager to hear if Coltrane comes back from the grave to solo between your speakers or prefers staying buried.

Coltrane is not so cheap. He’s not going to come back for USD 35000 :)
Hahaha true, maybe the guys at Audioexotics have managed to resurrect him, who knows.

The 35K figure was an hypothetical exercise BTW.
But as of now my source costs more than the rest of my system for sure :eek:

For the life of me , I could never enjoy music with a laptop\htpc placed in the chain. I don’t have a single exotic gear in my chain , my entire setup costs less than the speaker cables of some of the folks here - but I have heard high end equipment on DACs and network streamers, they have never surpassed the simple joys of a needle drop.

If I already have the speaker that I wanted then I would have the best source. For me the sequence of building a reference two channel audio system is (most important to least important) Good AC Power framework->Speaker->Speaker placement->Room Acoustics->Vibration Control->Source->Amplifier->Preamplifier->Cables.
If you are looking for a good digital source, then you might consider auditioning two great brands Bricasti and MSB. I have Bricasti M12. It is a very nice DAC (dual mono & fully balanced design) and a line source having analog volume control. At $15K price point it would be very difficult to beat Bricasti. The next level would be MSB/DCS. I auditioned both MSB Reference and DCS Vivaldi (price above $20K). I liked MSB a little better because of their modular design and a little detailed presentation. But I could live happily with either one. Both were better than my Bricasti M12 but the margin was not night and day....

If I already have the speaker that I wanted then I would have the best source. For me the sequence of building a reference two channel audio system is (most important to least important) Good AC Power framework->Speaker->Speaker placement->Room Acoustics->Vibration Control->Source->Amplifier->Preamplifier->Cables.
If you are looking for a good digital source, then you might consider auditioning two great brands Bricasti and MSB. I have Bricasti M12. It is a very nice DAC (dual mono & fully balanced design) and a line source having analog volume control. At $15K price point it would be very difficult to beat Bricasti. The next level would be MSB/DCS. I auditioned both MSB Reference and DCS Vivaldi (price above $20K). I liked MSB a little better because of their modular design and a little detailed presentation. But I could live happily with either one. Both were better than my Bricasti M12 but the margin was not night and day....
I just upgraded from a Bricasti M12 actually :)
It is a lovely DAC, but I think I am a Tube DAC kind of a guy and my only options seemed to be Lampi, TotalDAC and Nagra. The first two don't have any representation in India.

I just upgraded from a Bricasti M12 actually :)
It is a lovely DAC, but I think I am a Tube DAC kind of a guy and my only options seemed to be Lampi, TotalDAC and Nagra. The first two don't have any representation in India.
Congratulations for upgrading the DAC. All three brands that you mentioned above are very well respected all over the world. I am sure that you would love Nagra's performance going forward. Did you get the external clock and the power supply as well?
Thanks.

Hello- what are your speakers and rest of the electronics in your 2 channel system? Do you use any AC power related products in your system?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assume your system is good enough for you to hear the differences.

It boils down to, if you had the means to only buy a world-class source or world-class amplification (amp + preamp) what would you do?

Undoubtedly it would have to be a kickass source as my system is good enough to hear differences. Afaic atleast in my setup 'gido giso'

Congratulations for upgrading the DAC. All three brands that you mentioned above are very well respected all over the world. I am sure that you would love Nagra's performance going forward. Did you get the external clock and the power supply as well?
Thanks.

Hello- what are your speakers and rest of the electronics in your 2 channel system? Do you use any AC power related products in your system?
Thanks.
Nagra 300p -> Devore O96

I use only an online UPS so far to protect my amp. Too many powercuts in Goa.

I have an Acoustic Revive powerstrip on order, but it will take sometime to get to me.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back