Sourcing 90s Bollywood...best SQ?

essrand

I grew up listening to 90s Bollywood.
Currently listening to them on Tidal and SQ is abysmal for many tracks (except AR Rahman's). Very bright and tinny. I often have to use the equaliser in my Roon so my ears don't bleed.

Are the CDs any better?
We used to listen to them in cassettes which isn't an option, and they are not old enough for them to be nicely recorded in vinyl.

Any audiophiles here listening to 90s bollywood?

Currently listening to them on Tidal and SQ is abysmal for many tracks (except AR Rahman's). Very bright and tinny. I often have to use the equaliser in my Roon so my ears don't bleed.

Are the CDs any better?
We used to listen to them in cassettes which isn't an option, and they are not old enough for them to be nicely recorded in vinyl.

I agree; feel that they are just upscaled. Did you try the remasters? They sound better than before. Of course, currently available only for the 'Tips Music' albums & if you got the MQA supportive device. Purchasing the old, popular & good CDs is an expensive affair now unless someone's just discarding them!

I rely on Gaana, yes, not even Spotify, for non-english content & is my favourite. You may try that in case you haven't. Saavn, too, is quite good.

even CD's in 90's were bright and there was also this Jhankar Beats version ....First Edition and subsequent editions of Tips and Venus are mostly bright .....I have a lot of them ....I also purchased the latest Tips-Sony DADC version and those are not bright ....You still get some of them on Amazon

They were bright because they have low dynamic range and compressed sound - target audience being millions playing them on their basic decks.

even CD's in 90's were bright and there was also this Jhankar Beats version ....First Edition and subsequent editions of Tips and Venus are mostly bright .....I have a lot of them ....I also purchased the latest Tips-Sony DADC version and those are not bright ....You still get some of them on Amazon
Tips -sony dad version CDs really better than old CDs ???? Brother, ,

@Mahi - More bass or less treble ...recorded as per today's standards ....I have heard a lot of them like Sarfarosh , Parinda , Rangeela , Taal etc ..

In 90's people used to like what is called today as bright sound ...

Surprisingly Tidal has a good 90s collection not many but still a lot. check it out

@Mahi - More bass or less treble ...recorded as per today's standards ....I have heard a lot of them like Sarfarosh , Parinda , Rangeela , Taal etc ..

In 90's people used to like what is called today as bright sound ...
Thank you brother for your reply, you compare both edition same titles CDs??? ( first edition CDs vs Sony dadc version CDs)

@Mahi - yes . I heard the titles mentioned above in my post ....both the versions (except Parinda - I dont have the TIPS CD .. but Sony DADC is not bright at all)
Thank you for your reply brother, , I need few CDs any chance to get your city ??, iam staying in Bangalore, all CD shops closed,

Thank you for your reply brother, , I need few CDs any chance to get your city ??, iam staying in Bangalore, all CD shops closed,

Yes, all the CD shops in Bangalore is either closed or they don't have stock of any CDs. 2 Years back I visited Calypso, Jayanagar and could find only few devotional CDs(In which I was not interested). Finding new sealed CDs with its actual cost is merely impossible nowadays(Only if you know any shop who is clearing his stock). But there are many sellers who are still selling CDs both new as well as used CDs through OLX and through WhatsApp group.

Yes, all the CD shops in Bangalore is either closed or they don't have stock of any CDs. 2 Years back I visited Calypso, Jayanagar and could find only few devotional CDs(In which I was not interested). Finding new sealed CDs with its actual cost is merely impossible nowadays(Only if you know any shop who is clearing his stock). But there are many sellers who are still selling CDs both new as well as used CDs through OLX and through WhatsApp group.
Thank you for your reply brother, calypso CD shop closed, & iam not interested buying olx dealers, I have bad experience in olx seller's, 3 to 4 times I last my money, , in your city any chance to audio CDs , new ones or older ones, with good condition, iam interested in buying

With my ears in doldrums, I have painstakingly restored around 60% of my old Hindi cassette collection in the last one month.
More to go followed by Tamil cassettes.

Might start digitising the collection as well.
On the lookout for a decent USB Audio Capture device with minimum 24 bit/96 khz ADC option.

Ordered some Bollywood CDs from

Got the delivery today.

Hi - Share your experience in more detail - about shipping ,customs charges . did you get it delivered here in Mumbai etc . Total order value any cancellations or out of stock cd's etc ...

I saw some soundtracks which I am thinking of ordering

Are the CDs any better?

I agree. When I got my creative multimedia kit for my PC in 1995, bought DDLJ and Rangeela Audio CDs. I still remember the feeling, the clarity I felt in those creative speakers. Awesome. I still have those CDs and they still sound best. :)

Hi - Share your experience in more detail - about shipping ,customs charges . did you get it delivered here in Mumbai etc . Total order value any cancellations or out of stock cd's etc ...

I saw some soundtracks which I am thinking of ordering
I ordered three CDs and were delivered to me here in Mumbai. The total value of the three CDs including shipping was $56.00 and there was no customs duty levied. I guess if I had ordered more CDs, the shipping cost would have been the same. I got what was ordered and there was no stock-out. Hope this helps.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back