vTe637y.jpg

7NVAdIM.jpg

uIGzImB.jpg

BvTVKl6.jpg

6BmIzzf.jpg

3mgwADK.jpg

dcfOtOO.jpg

0woYZWF.jpg

Listening to Anthology of South Indian Classical Music by L Subramaniam.

4 marvellous CD's of well recorded music..

enjoiment !!

R-2134675-1265903616.jpeg.jpg

Got a bunch of CDs from Acoustic portrait. The lilting melodies have been aptly named. Singer is daughter of Neyveli Santhanagopalan. Her rendition is so true to her dad's style - orthodox. It is like switching on Jaya TV when Santhanagopalan's demo classes were running. No gimmicks and outburst just lilting music. Damn that they came in during weekdays. I would need to listen to the entire collection in one go.
AP's recording needs a special mention. The mridangam and violin sounded just like how they would, when you are attending a class room training. I did not feel the electric veil of equipments. There were a couple of moments when artist came close to the mic and you could hear muffled vocals. I wish AP achieves as great a success as it's quality and sincerity to music.

I feel all audiophiles should attend concerts near their place whenever possible.
I like Indian classical music, both Carnatic and Hindustani classical, and I try to attend concerts at small venues nearby whenever I get an opportunity. My best experience so far have been the annual Swathi Thirunal Sangeetholsavam in Trivandrum and Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma concert in Chennai. At many of these venues there is light amplification, and the reproduction would be from common fare PA system. A few venues did have good amplification, acoustics and speakers. In both cases, the experience I get is second to none and I know that my system won’t be able to give the same “goosebumps” and is a fact that I’ve resigned myself to.
While it is true that there are several music labels which provide excellent recordings, like Water Lily, Acoustic Portrait et al, even those have never matched a real event so far in my experience (again this is with mid-fi gear so my views are likely to be wrong).
It could be the uncompressed dynamics of the live event or the audio-visual experience of the musicians performing and their energy that makes all the difference.
Below is a mesmerizing flute rendition by Amit Nadig from Maharaja Swathi Thirunal’s composition during the festival a couple of years ago, a real treat for the senses! [Entry is free and all it costs is to drive to the location and grab your seat for a priceless experience!]

This is a fine short piece. It will have universal appeal. Beautifully recorded, even a mp3 rip sounds nice on a full system. Wonder where the rest of the concert can be dug out from.

Hi, This beautiful piece is from Sangeet Sartaj album released by Music today. I listen to it on Spotify.

Just finished watching the three part interview of Prince Rama Varma - Very interesting in creating awareness/busting myths of Carnatic musician. Extremely down to earth and pragmatic, the artiste does not have any frills and is not trying to fake humility. It also showcases the power of internet - youtube specifically. Talks about all connecting points of music - accompaniment, Guru-Sishya parampara, boon of technology, attitude of private collectors, bad habits of carnatic singers.
One of his lighter songs(you would see distinct Dr.BMK influence in his playfulness):
Interview:

Just finished watching the three part interview of Prince Rama Varma - Very interesting in creating awareness/busting myths of Carnatic musician. Extremely down to earth and pragmatic, the artiste does not have any frills and is not trying to fake humility. It also showcases the power of internet - youtube specifically. Talks about all connecting points of music - accompaniment, Guru-Sishya parampara, boon of technology, attitude of private collectors, bad habits of carnatic singers.
One of his lighter songs(you would see distinct Dr.BMK influence in his playfulness):
Interview:
Thanks Arun, for sharing :) He's a very humble and grounded person. Every year I'm grateful to watch his performance at the annual Swathi Sangeetholsavam, which he organises here.

Jayanthi Kumaresh's electrified version of Raga Kapi on the Saraswati Veena, from the Darbar festival.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back