South Indian Carnatic Classical Music

The Chennai music festival continues, but readers have probably had enough of my blow-by-blow experiences for this year.

(But, hey, I just got home from another blissful concert by Smt R Vedavalli :) )

No let up in event density, at least for the next few days.

For those who want to see the New Year in to classical music, there is a multi-artist event at the Music Academy which begins at 10.00pm on New Year's Eve. I have no idea when it finsihes --- but there is quite a list of participants!

Tales from The Chennai Music Festival...

I'm just about to leave a venue after one event has finished, when I meet a woman I see at a hall where we are both regulars. "Hello Thad! I'm glad you are here! It is my nieces from USA singing next." I promise to stay, at least for a while.

I go around the back to visit the toilet, and, entering the hall from a door on the other side, I meet a man who I know from another internet forum. "Hello Thad! I'm glad you are here! It is my daughters from USA singing next."

So now I know that brother and sister (father and aunt) are brother and sister, and get to see the youngsters sing. Afterwards, I explain the obtuse way in which I know their family, without having known that it was a family!

(And later, wandering the streets of Mylapore to pass time before another concert, I meet the guy whose company does the pest control for our house...)

Hi Thad, me too attended the Srikantan concert. Attended his concert some 6 years back and good to see him on stage at this age. The Thani was outstanding and was lacking in the other concerts, viz. Sanjay at narada gana sabha (though sanjay was outstanding) and a few other concerts.

Great, cooltoad! It seems like a long time ago now, already. Sadly, I can't even recall who was playing mridangam!

That just proves that I'm not a real rasika, able to give concert reports years later!

To Begin January 2014...

...An amazingly beautiful concert by Shashank, at the Academy :)

Hi, It was Umayalpuram sivaraman and BTW if someone who attends so many concerts is not a rasika, who is?

Great, cooltoad! It seems like a long time ago now, already. Sadly, I can't even recall who was playing mridangam!

That just proves that I'm not a real rasika, able to give concert reports years later!

To Begin January 2014...

...An amazingly beautiful concert by Shashank, at the Academy :)

Hi, It was Umayalpuram sivaraman...

And I think I mentioned that in my post, even. Yes, his playing was magnificient, as was that of the ghatam player with him.

I love the way UKS makes just a few strokes go such a long way :)

Tonight I saw Vijay Siva. The mridangist was Trichy Sankaran, and I had missed his concerts this year so far. I think this Thiruvanmiyur concert is an annual event. Previously, I have been there and found the hall full, so today I arrived an hour early to get a good seat. A stonkingly good concert!

Milestones in learning... Tonight I was able to follow some of the vocal phrases in the violinist's neraval returns, and not just the final phrase. That might have been Embar Kannan's skill rather than my growing ability :). I find that, after this intense month of music, when I break through fealing full up, I am listening in much more detail.

Intention for tomorrow: Sumithra Vasudev at 5.30am!

Last edited:
Some of the musicians I liked listening to on Amrutavarshini FM channel in Bangalore. One of the problem with this channel is there is no listing of programs you can refer after the program is over so you have to listen carefully get the name of the musicians. If anyone knows listing of programs it would be helpful.
Manakkal Rangarajan

Vikku Vinayakram I like his voice. He almost converts percussion into a song. Percussion only Carnatic concerts are also quite rare.

Madurai Mani Iyer

I like the channel too. You should write to the radio channel requesting that they publish the details,I guess.

MMI leaves me in jaw dropping wonderment as the rendition unfolds. Even without understanding the technicalities of the raaga and his style, I am all awe for the connection he has achieved with the divine within himself, through his singing. It exemplifies the goal of Yoga - achieving unity of the mind, body and spirit.

G0bble

Nature of Carnatic music

The main emphasis in Carnatic music is on vocal music; most compositions are written to be sung, and even when played on instruments, they are meant to be performed in a singing style (known as g?yaki) Like Hindustani music, Carnatic music rests on two main elements: r?ga, the modes or melodic formul, and t??a, the rhythmic cycles.

Today, Carnatic music is presented by musicians in concerts or recordings, either vocally or through instruments. Carnatic music itself developed around musical works or compositions of phenomenal composers (see below).

Important elements of Carnatic music

?ruti
Main article: ?ruti (music)

?ruti commonly refers to musical pitch.[19] It is the approximate equivalent of a tonic (or less precisely a key) in Western music; it is the note from which all the others are derived. It is also used in the sense of graded pitches in an octave. While there are an infinite number of sounds falling within a scale (or raga) in Carnatic music, the number that can be distinguished by auditory perception is twenty-two (although over the years, several of them have converged). In this sense, while sruti is determined by auditory perception, it is also an expression in the listener's mind

Swara
Main article: Swara

Swara refers to a type of musical sound that is a single note, which defines a relative (higher or lower) position of a note, rather than a defined frequency.[19] Swaras also refer to the solfege of Carnatic music, which consist of seven notes, "sa-ri-ga-ma-pa-da-ni" (compare with the Hindustani sargam: sa-re-ga-ma-pa-dha-ni or Western do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti). These names are abbreviations of the longer names shadja, rishabha, gandhara, madhyama, panchama, dhaivata and nishada. Unlike other music systems, every member of the solfege (called a swara) has three variants. The exceptions are the drone notes, shadja and panchama (also known as the tonic and the dominant), which have only one form; and madhyama (the subdominant), which has two forms. A 7th century stone inscription in Kudumiyan Malai[21] in Tamil Nadu shows vowel changes to solfege symbols with ra, ri, ru etc. to denote the higher quarter-tones. In one scale, or raga, there is usually only one variant of each note present. The exceptions exist in "light" ragas, in which, for artistic effect, there may be two, one ascending (in the arohanam) and another descending (in the avarohanam).
Raga system
Main article: Raga

A raga in Carnatic music prescribes a set of rules for building a melody very similar to the Western concept of mode.[22] It specifies rules for movements up (aarohanam) and down (avarohanam), the scale of which notes should figure more and which notes should be used more sparingly, which notes may be sung with gamaka (ornamentation), which phrases should be used or avoided, and so on. In effect, it is a series of obligatory musical events which must be observed, either absolutely or with a particular frequency.

In Carnatic music, the sampoorna ragas (those with all seven notes in their scales) are classified into a system called the melakarta, which groups them according to the kinds of notes that they have. There are seventy-two melakarta ragas, thirty six of whose madhyama (subdominant) is sadharana (perfect fourth from the tonic), the remaining thirty-six of whose madhyama (subdominant) is prati (an augmented fourth from the tonic). The ragas are grouped into sets of six, called chakras ("wheels", though actually segments in the conventional representation) grouped according to the supertonic and mediant scale degrees. There is a system known as the katapayadi sankhya to determine the names of melakarta ragas.

Ragas may be divided into two classes: janaka ragas (i.e. melakarta or parent ragas) and janya ragas (descendant ragas of a particular janaka raga). Janya ragas are themselves subclassified into various categories.
Tala system
Main article: Tala (music)

Tala refers to a fixed time cycle or metre, set for a particular composition, which is built from groupings of beats.[citation needed] Talas have cycles of a defined number of beats and rarely change within a song. They have specific components, which in combinations can give rise to the variety to exist (over 108), allowing different compositions to have different rhythms.

Carnatic music singers usually keep the beat by moving their hands up and down in specified patterns, and using their fingers simultaneously to keep time. Tala is formed with three basic parts (called angas) which are laghu, dhrtam, and anudhrtam, though complex talas may have other parts like plutam, guru, and kaakapaadam. There are seven basic tala groups which can be formed from the laghu, dhrtam, and anudhrtam:

Dhruva tala
Matya tala[citation needed]
Rupaka tala
Jhampa tala
Triputa tala
Ata tala
Eka tala

A laghu has five variants (called jaathis) based on the counting pattern. Five jaathis times seven tala groups gives thirty-five basic talas, although use of other angas results in a total of 108 talas.

You want the best song from the output of several major composers and lots of minor ones over several hundred years? This is not pop music.

Start with a major raga.Say Kamboji.Take one famous composition.Say O rangasayi.Listen to multiple versions repeatedly.By atleast 5 singers.My suggestion.Semmangudi,KV Narayanaswamy,MS.And contempory singers like TM Krishna, Sanjay Subrahmaniam etc.Then another composition eg Sri Subrahmanyaya namaste.
After that another raga say Sankarabharanam then Bhairavi.Repeat the process.
By this time the aspirant would have gained an insight into the concept called RAGA and the specific way in which it is articulated in various kritis.
Reading the theory of Ragas is not the way.Start listening.
Use Youtube.Liberally.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back