South Indian Carnatic Classical Music

Its a bit of a late response.

My suggestions would be to choose good recordings. I prefer Music Today (dwindling stock) and Charsur. Some of the Sony recordings are good.

In Vocal, i prefer Bombay Jayashri (Azhagha, Bharathiyar Songs, Vatsalyam, Nekkurugi), Sikkil Gurucharan and Sanjay Subhramanyam

In Instrumental Veena - Please look for Doreswamy Iyengar/Gayathri, Violin - TN Krishnan/ Lalgudi Jayaraman,

Live experience this week...

Saturday: Balu Raguraman + student, violin duo. Mrs Raguraman, veena solo (friends from London)
Tuesday: Sumithra Vasudev, vocal
Wednesday: Manakkal Sriram, vocal, but it was a light temple concert
Thursday: Lalhudi Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi, violin

Both Akkarai sisters are excellent. They sing too :).

Today I saw

Bharat Sundar (vocal),
Parur MS Ananthakrishnan (violin),
K Arunprakash (mridangam)

in a no-amplifier/speakers house concert. No electronics to spoil the music!

(You will see mics: they are just for recording, there are no speakers in the room)

Webcast on Youtube

(I haven't checked the sound on that)

Last edited:
Both Akkarai sisters are excellent.

Even though I recognise him and, as regulars, we have exchanged nods and smiles at concerts, I was ignorant, until a couple of weeks ago, that their father is an eminent violinist (although I think he leaves performance to the girls) and is their guru.

BTW... I had the please of getting a short lift from the hall to my car, in the rain, from Subhalakshmi and parents, after seeing her play a few weeks ago :eek:hyeah:

Tonight I saw Bharathi Ramasubban at the same location.

The problem with unamplified concerts is that the artists are just far to used to mic+speakers. I have seen them struggle to be heard above the sound of their own sruthi boxes! Well, to be honest, the problem is that they don't struggle!

Yesterday's concert was pretty good, although Bharat Sundar does sing quietly. I would have had some trouble hearing both him and the violin if I had not been sitting 2 metres in front of them. The mridangist has the opposite problem. It can be very difficult for him to turn his playing down to the gentle levels needed. Arunprakash has no difficulty: he can make his mridangam whisper!

Tonight's concert was well balanced. Bharathi has a good, carrying voice, which she projects well, and the accompanists held a good balance.

It was a beautiful concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmE57Zu4o0

It struck me, while I was listening with closed eyes, how wonderful the soundstage was. At the same time, I was aware of occasional notes distorting due to acoustic problems with the room.

Whilst the soundstage thing doesn't quite equate with stereo sound (the artists are in exactly the right places because they actually are in those places :lol:) it is still making sound in a room. Whilst we achieve the best we can, we expect too much of speakers. The cure for room acoustics is room acoustics! Perhaps people who doubt that should try hosting a small musical ensemble!

A wonderful solo concert, this afternoon, from one of my favourite violinists, Dr R Hemalatha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-klmulzGEqU

The Youtube webcast does not preserve either the beauty of the instrument's tone or the subtlety of the dynamics in her playing. It seemed to me to be perfect in its balance, conveying the sense of voice (gayaki), full of feeling, but never sentimentality.

A wonderful solo concert, this afternoon, from one of my favourite violinists, Dr R Hemalatha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-klmulzGEqU

The Youtube webcast does not preserve either the beauty of the instrument's tone or the subtlety of the dynamics in her playing. It seemed to me to be perfect in its balance, conveying the sense of voice (gayaki), full of feeling, but never sentimentality.
Nice. Whose student is Dr. Hemalatha? Or rather what school of style?
You are right YouTube doesn't capture the sweetness of the tone with violins...

G

Whose student is Dr. Hemalatha? Or rather what school of style?

Hmmm... I had to google which, basically, means "not any of the current 'trinity,' or another living artist I am actually familiar with." And I'm so used to hearing and enjoying her playing that I hadn't thought too much about it.
Dr. R. Hemalatha is a qualified musicologist with a M.A. Indian Music, (1994), M.Phil. (1996) and Ph.D. (2002) from the University of Madras. 'A Study of Desiragas of Post Ratnakara period' and 'A Study of the Ragangaragas in the Sangita-sampradaya-pradarsini of Subbarama Diksitar' are respectively the titles of her M.Phil. and Ph.D. dissertations. Hemalatha started learning violin at the age of 8. She first learnt under Shri. K. Sivaraman and later came under the tutelage of Late. Shri. T. S. Narayana Rao, Retd. Staff Artiste of A. I. R. Madras. She is a professional violinist performing for over 2 decades accompanying all the leading Karnataka musicians in their concert performances in India and abroad. She has recieved numerous awards and titles, including Best Violinist from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha (1993), The Indian Fine Arts Society (1995), The Music Academy (1994, 1998, 2000,2002,2005,2006) as well as Yuva Kala Bharati (2000), Nada Oli (2002).

That is her father playing Kanjira, and her sisters are vocalists, Mambalam Sisters. She has two young daughters. That is the extent of my knowledge, but hey, I'm not a real rasika! :eek: :lol:

I can say, though, that as an accompanist, she adapts amazingly to the style of the main artist, and also that she must have an amazing brain for numbers, as she never seems to be phased by laya calculations, even in a complex tani.

Ariyakudi Ayyangar is one of greats of Carnatic music. But I came across him only today :):eek:. His name was not mentioned in this thread, so adding. AIR has very good collection.

I can recommend two artists.

1. Hariprasad Kaniyal on Vocals. He usually sings for Classical dance concerts and is one of the most sough after artists. Sadly, you are unlikely to find his songs in any source form.
He doesn't sing for Movie soundtracks either, per se. "Madhava Masamo" in the Malayalam Movie "Swapanam" is an exception. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjUG035yag]

2. Vedakrishnan Venkatesan Ram on the Mridangam. His Mridangam sings! Again, you are unlikely to find CDs.

Here is a sample of their works that I have put up on soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/uma-govind/janani-mamava
https://soundcloud.com/uma-govind/parka-parka-paravasam

(I "produced" these, ie these songs are recorded for a concert that I sponsored. )

Folks in Chennai, I would strongly recommend dance concerts where they both perform as accompanists. It is a musical treat.

Yesterday was Smt MS Subbulakshmi's 100th birth anniversary. On this occasion, a befitting picture that I've posted before, but had misplaced the second pic in this series. Finally found it yesterday!
This pic was taken in 1991 in Chennai. After a function at which Smt MS Subbulakshmi sang and as she was leaving the hall, I mustered enough courage to go upto her and ask for a photo with her and Sri T Sadasivam. "Dhaaralama edakalaame", she said, extremely magnanimously. After the 1st pic, she said "Kai naduvle vandootho?" and insisted a second one be taken since her hand was covering her face! That gesture just blew me away.
( For the record, I am standing between and behind MS Amma and her husband Sri Sadasivam).
28c7aa67ea694e4162252b822d9dfe5b.jpg

4bb7cf2d7dd6de9201704980f5779498.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today i got

Paddhati - Palghat Mani Iyer Live in Concert ( charsur )

but i find the recording quality to be quite poor.

Possible the recording may be quite old but can the more knowledgeable amongst you guide me to well recorded South Indian Classical CD's

I have an old affinity for the Mridangam since i used to play it before and am looking to expand my CD collection.

appreciate your inputs

regards

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back