South Indian Carnatic Classical Music

For a lay person like me it sounded just like Abheri of Nagumomu fame.
See what Sanjay Subramaniam has to say.
Carnatic Music and anything else: Pantuvarali, Abheri etc
Either way the song was beautiful.

Yes, Abheri is very close. I agree. And, you are not really a layman, even though you may think you are one, because you are able to identify the melody. I actually learned a composition a long time ago in Abheri, but the above DKP sung piece goes as Karnataka (or Carnatic?) Devagandhari. I do not think it matters too much by which name we call it, as long as the melody is well developed, complete and self-consistent (please do not ask me what I mean by these attributes). In the Hindusthani nomenclature of ragas, there are many similar examples of almost the same or very similar melodies having different names. At times, these were done even deliberately, as the stories go.

Any way, I have no doubt in my mind, whatever it is called in Carnatic tradition, in North India the DKP piece is in raga Bhimpalashi (sometimes known also as Bhimpalas, Bhimpalasree etc).

Regards.

wow! You seem to be one serious student of Carnatic! :)

--G
No, not really. I went to mridangam class for years, and it was partly my friendship with my Guruji that led to meeting some artists. The first time I met DKP I just happened to be with some people who were giving me a lift, and seeking her blessings for her daughter. The second time, a mutual friend from London was staying at Nithyasree's house.

The years I spent in class would have been enough, with practice, to make a professional of any serious student, but my memory, calculation powers and discipline were just not up to it.

I am, though, as serious (albeit uninformed) lover of carnatic music. Or... if not serious, at least regular :eek:

No, not really. I went to mridangam class for years, and it was partly my friendship with my Guruji that led to meeting some artists. The first time I met DKP I just happened to be with some people who were giving me a lift, and seeking her blessings for her daughter. The second time, a mutual friend from London was staying at Nithyasree's house.

The years I spent in class would have been enough, with practice, to make a professional of any serious student, but my memory, calculation powers and discipline were just not up to it.

I am, though, as serious (albeit uninformed) lover of carnatic music. Or... if not serious, at least regular :eek:

Its always good to start early when the young mind and ones reflexes can cope with the permutations and combinations played with variations of speed. At least you are trying the best way you could :)

Cheers to that! :cheers:
--G0bble

Guys,

Some of you might have seen my post about my upcoming venture of streaming music to smartphones - http://www.hifivision.com/music/28198-new-music-streaming-app-smartphones.html

Part of our mission is to enable twaang to be a platform for young artists/groups/bands to launch, share, promote and potentially monetize their music (the last part is more an exception rather than a rule today, and we want to play a small part in changing that).

Check out the 'unplugged' track on our FB page by one of the first 'twaang talents'. A soul-stirring rendition of Raag Yaman by Jaya Vidyasagar. If you like 'Bhaavayaami Gopala' by MS, you surely enjoy this....

Hear the track here: http://www.facebook.com/Twaang

Thanks

:confused:

the dates are on the link you posted.

Chennai December season is getting under way now, with a big increase in the number of daily concerts

"Gentle Perfect Knight" of Carnatic music - K.V. Narayanasamy
42ms.jpg

1wwl.jpg

Gottuvadyam: N Ravikiran hailed as Mozart of Indian Music

tocp.jpg

2vid.jpg

Last edited:
Got a rare Carnatic classical record today and would like to share in this forum.

Classical veena recital : dedication to her guru Veena Dhanammal by Savithri Rajan.

Madras-based Savithri Rajan, a virtuoso veena player who never performed in public
She was the disciple of the legendary musicians Tiger Varadachari and Veenai Dhanammal

Contents: Varnam-Raga-Begada-Tala-Adi / Tiruvattiyur Thyagayyar --
Ninu vina gati gana-Raga-Kalyani-Tala-Adi / Subbaraya Sastry --
Sri Raghuvara Sugunalaya-Raga-Bhairavi-Tala-Adi ; Nee chittamu naa bagya-Rafa-Vijavasantha-Tala-Adi / Saint Thyagaraja --
Thanam-Ghana ragamalika panchakam --
Padam-Maname bhushanamu-Raga-Sankarabharanam-Tala-Chapu-Javali-Mariyadateliyakane-Raga-Surati-Tala-Roopakam / Patnam Subramania Iyer.

jhs7.jpg

b50b.JPG

A Long, Hard Day At The Chennai Music Festival.

Oh dear, I started late, had to drop off my wife somewhere, lost my sense of direction in an unfamiliar street and walked the wrong way ...and eventually arrived at the Music Academy at least half an hour late for a 12.00 concert that was over by 1.30.

The concert was a veena recital by Ashwin Anand. A young player, who, even I can say has accomplished some rare feats with the veena even before the playing starts. His instrument stays in tune. He has the pic-ups/mics and the amplifier completely sorted out, and the tone is rich and delightful, and his performance amazingly musical. I had thought that the concert would last until 2.30: I was so disappointed when it ended!

On my way to the canteen to grab lunch, I met Ashwin's teacher, who happens to be my number-one-favourite musician, Smt R Vedavalli. She asked me if I was staying for the next concert. I said that I had not planned to, but would be at another venue by 4.00pm to listen, for the first time, to two more of her students, young twins, performing a vocal concert. She requested me to stay at the Academy for at least some of the coming concert, as it was by another of her students.

After my lunch, I returned to the hall to see Usha Padmanabhan singing. Well, I was having a mixed-up day, and I hadn't read the concert list properly, and of course I recognised the lady at once. The auditorium was less full, and I was able to get a comfortable seat in the middle of the second row for what was a really superb and lovely concert.

On the way out, I met a friend whom I know to be 20 years older than I am. Yesterday, I'd told him that I was shocked by my face in the mirror, and I felt very old, never mind the numbers: he was certainly younger than me! Today I was able to tell him that I felt a little younger.

Wondering if my sense of direction would return, and I would succeed in driving a short way South, or whether I would be lost forever in the streets of some place like Royapuram... After a quick tea (Rs.20, at the MA, this year!) I returned to the car and succeeded in driving to Raga Sudha Hall, Luz, where the twin ladies, Archana and Arathi, where in full flow. The mridangist was the same guy who had played for my first concert of the day!

Two concerts is enough for me, three is rather too much. I was feeling over-fed! But an old friend from London was singing at T N Rajarathinam Hall, Adyar. I didn't want another season to go buy saying, yes, I'll come to your concert and failing to do so. The price was crossing Adyar Bridge to do a u-turn in Adyar, then crossing it again to reach the hall (thinking that I had to cross it yet again on the way home). When I arrived, a young girl in a pretty half-sari was performing a pretty song (More than that: an MSS favourite, but don't ask me about ragas or song names! :eek: ) She ably performed a Thillana, and then it was my friend's turn to take the stage. It's been a long time since I saw Manickam Yogeswaran (Originally from Sri Lanka, now resident in Germany, student of T V Gopalakrishnan) sing, and I had expected something fairly simple. I was surprised by a high-energy concert, full of enthusiasm and passion, but lacking nothing in content, with extensive raga alapana for several songs, nereval and swaras. I told him that someone had turned up the knob to one hundred and eleven since I last saw him sing!

Finally got home by about 9.30pm, having left at about 11.30am. A long, hard, music-loving day! :lol:

Tomorrow...

Last edited:
A Continuing Tale of Chennai Musical Days...

Yesterday, I went out to one concert. The artist was K P Nandini. She is seen as a violin accompanist, and is making a name for herself now as a vocalist. Her voice is entirely pleasing to listen to, and her concert was very fullfilling. This is the second time I have heard her sing: she is my favourite new-to-me youngster of this year.

This morning, once again late :eek:, to the flute duet of Sikkil Neela and Mala Chandrasekhar, at the music academy. Reaction to concerts is really a personal thing: I enjoyed, but not with any great sense of involvement. I can never forget a house concert where Mala Chandrasekhar arrived very late, very humbly apologising to everyone, she promised to try hard to make up for it. She played an amazing four-hour concert!

I spent some time, still at the Academy at Rithvik Raja's concert. Again, maybe me, but I have enjoyed his singing more on other occasions.

After a short nap in my car, I was heading off again, when I called out a hello to flute Shashank, walking his dog. He invited me for a cup of tea at his nearby house. This I did enjoy! :)

I then drove South to Thiruvanmiyur, where a London friend, Balu Raguraman was due to play violin for Roopa Mahadevan. This was my favourite concert of today. She has an excellent voice, sang beautifully, and presented some very challenging rhythmic calculations in her kalpana swara. I don't like it when music becomes mere maths, but turning maths into music is the great accomplishment. I was surprised, when speaking to her afterwards, to hear her speak with a strong American accent! Balu told me that, no, she did not sing with any accent at all.

This was an open-air venue (Hare Krishna Centre) and the crows contributed to the music too. Unfortunately, though, some of the audience also wondered around, going kaa, kaaa, kaaa! :lol:

It was an afternoon concert. I gave my friend a lift to a railway station and came home for the evening.

Maybe no music tomorrow. I have to welcome a very old friend, arriving with a companion, as a tourist to the city.

On Sunday, whatever super-human (well, for me!) effort it takes, I must be on time for Smt R. Vedavalli's 9.00am Music Academy concert. Any of my managers could tell you that 9.00am is something that I am really bad at! :D

Last edited:
Ramnad Krishnan's classical music recordings are not that common to get in LP
For you-two of his discs released by Nonesuch Records' legendary "Explorer Series"
7wgb.jpg

iun8.jpg

8wei.jpg

yb8u.jpg

Chennai Sunday, Song and Dance!...

Smt Vedavalli was wonderful as ever ...and I was there early :)!

Luckily, my two American friends were able to appreciate and enjoy.

I had meant to take them shopping (no more music) for the rest of the day, butone of them had that disinclinclination to be far from a toilet (Ahhh! Memories of my own tourist-in-India days!) and didn't want to walk far either.

They had mentioned a desire to see some dance while they were here, so we set out for Kalekshetra, and just managed to get tickets for the evening, before taking rest at my home.

There were two performances. Bharatnatyam and Odissi. I'm sorry: it is such an injustice to the amount of work and dedication that goes into learning any dance, but I'm more of a music person than a dance person and Bharatnatyam usually has me watching the musicians.

On the other hand, a year or two ago, another American friend of mine took me to see the ladies from Nrityagram, Surupa Sen & Bijayini Satpathy. This lady was into dance of all cultures, worldwide and she told me that these two were, simply, the best dancers she had ever seen.

I don't have even the beginning of enough experience to make that judgement, but I was wowed then, and utterly amazed tonight. Apart from my personal dance heroes, Saswati Sen and Birju Maharaj, I have never experienced anything like it.

On top of physical perfection, they have an artistic ability that seems not to just represent, but to invoke the subject of their dance. Absolute magic!

Tonight also had the advantage of a live orchestra, and the Odissi music is different. Different enough to feel to me like listening and watching something new --- and the musicians were superb too.

An absolutely wonderful treat of an experience.

25th December, evening...

Never the twain shall meet, and all that... so I bought my wife a ticket to see Parveen Sultana, and gave it, along with my strongest possible recommendations.

It is sad that I could not go too, she really is wonderful, as my wife found out, but a certain attachment to the music of Smt R Vedavalli might have been noticed in my posts, and her 25/12 concert at Raga Sudha Hall is always a very special occasion indeed, so wife went North, and husband stayed South.

Wife reported that, sadly, Parveen Sultana's concert was sparsely attended --- to the extent that those present were asked to come to the front rows. Hindustani music is getting better acceptance in Chennai, but it is a slow process. Wife also said that the seats at Kamaraj hall were uncomfortable, and that the artist complained of the heat, and was visibly uncomfortable. However, she had no complaints about the music, and reported multiple instances of goose bumps.

Husband experienced three full hours of musical bliss and serenity. Most carnatic concerts last a sort-of-standard 2.5 hours. When I met her at the end, I commented that giving us three hour concerts would lead to requests for four hour concerts: she smiled and said, "yes!" She is over 75. Wow.

26 December

This morning, Husband and wife stayed South for Sri R K Srikantan, who is still performing at over 90 years of age. Still performing, still sprightly, still full of energy and overflowing with creativity. The Music Academy stage backdrop says "87th year...." The artist was older than that!

Another great veteran on stage was mridangist U K Sivaraman, whose accompaniment was fantastic.

Night and morning... soaking up the benefit of over 160 years of musical life!

In the evening, managed to catch my Guruji playing mridangam for a dance performance. It's always good to hear one's guruji, even if one is a music student, lapsed.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back