South Indian Carnatic Classical Music

hi murali
can you give the address of this place at vadapalani so that i can buy the same collection from him.

thank you.

Hai All,

I recently purchased "Vaadya" - A timeless Celebration of Carnatic Classical Music by MUSIC TODAY group. It is a 8 CD Collection . The artists are
V.Doreswamy Iyengar - Veena
TN Krishnan - Violin,
N.Ravikiran - Chitraveena,
Mambalam MKS Siva - Nadaswaram,
Kadrigopalnath - Saxophone,
U.Srinivas- Mandolin,
Prasanna - Guitar,
Dr.N.Ramani- Flute.

Each Cd is about 1 hour duration. The selection of songs are good. Recording is top-class.
I paid Rs.500/- for the entire set ( Purchased from a direct selling agent at Vadapalani). The actual MRP is Rs.2000/-.

N.Murali

Its a steal.
Would this be available in Mumbai? Where?

Hai,

Try if Music Today has any Direct selling agents at Mumbai. Contact the Music Today people from their website and get the details or else find out if the same is available as offer at any Music store in Mumbai.

N.Murali

Hai All,

I recently purchased "Vaadya" - A timeless Celebration of Carnatic Classical Music by MUSIC TODAY group. It is a 8 CD Collection . The artists are
TN Krishnan - Violin,
U.Srinivas- Mandolin,
Prasanna - Guitar,
Dr.N.Ramani- Flute.

Each Cd is about 1 hour duration. The selection of songs are good. Recording is top-class.
I paid Rs.500/- for the entire set ( Purchased from a direct selling agent at Vadapalani). The actual MRP is Rs.2000/-.

N.Murali

Murali sir, thats a great collection and an even sweeter price!

Hai All,

TN Krishnan - Violin,
U.Srinivas- Mandolin,
Prasanna - Guitar,
Dr.N.Ramani- Flute.

N.Murali

is the tracklist available online? couldn't find this album on their website

Hai,

The tracks are the same as the Earlier release titled as "Maestro's Choice" by the same artists. I have the TN Krishnan Violin concert in Tape, the Cd has the same songs. Maybe a couple of the CDs may be new release.

N.Murali

As has been mentioned, take care to ensure that these are not a rehash of older recordings under a new series. Music Today makes some of the best quality recordings, but their sales strategy misleads.

It does not look like they create many new recordings nowadays. One way they keep things ticking is by repackaging. For example Doreswamy Iyengar is available under Maestros Choice, Sangeeta Kalanidhi, Gems of Thyagaraja and now this one. You will find many scores common.

I have the Shrinivas, TN Krishnan and Ravikiran under different names. I have also seen Mambalam Siva under a different name.

None of this is a case against buying Music Today, but for exercising caution to ensure that you are not buying the same thing twice.

5. Maestro's Choice TN Krishnan Violin- Music Today.
This was one of my first-ever favourite carnatic CDs from maybe ten years ago...
Hi Asit,gd evng. Glad to hear that you are having interest on INDIAN classic. I am a fan of Dr.N.Rajam(violin) ...
... and I never knew, until this year, that he had a Hindustani-music-playing sister!

T N Krishnan and N Rajam are brother and sister.

I've seen TNK play a few times, he remains my absolute favourite violinist, although the other two in the violin "trinity", MSG and LGJ come pretty close. I had the pleasure of seeing N Rajam play at a house concert, which was great: I believe that both Carnatic and Hindustani music are best experienced in an intimate environment

This was one of my first-ever favourite carnatic CDs from maybe ten years ago...
... and I never knew, until this year, that he had a Hindustani-music-playing sister!

T N Krishnan and N Rajam are brother and sister.

I've seen TNK play a few times, he remains my absolute favourite violinist, although the other two in the violin "trinity", MSG and LGJ come pretty close. I had the pleasure of seeing N Rajam play at a house concert, which was great: I believe that both Carnatic and Hindustani music are best experienced in an intimate environment
Hi Thad, I am the fan of Dr.N.Rajam, can you write me for what are the titles availabe on cds for her works in which labels and the availability?
regards.

Hai All,

Yesterday been to Dream Emphasis, to exchange a CD. I was informed by the sales person that another collection of Instrumental CDs from Music Today is for sale titled SAAZ containing 16 CDs - both Hindustani and Carnatic. It is priced @ Rs.1200/- per set.

Pl go thro the website for artists details :

Music Today

Thought will be useful for classical music fans.

N.Murali

Just a personal experience and observation on this subject, though not a keen follower of Carnatic music, but I do listen at times...
The most disappointing part of the several CDs I had listened to is the complete lack of "recording purity" by which I mean the soundstage which is of paramount importance to enjoy this music unless one is happy listening to this music in radios. I had been once to Navaratri festival held each year in Trivandrum where there are no electronics or microphones; prominent singers sit right across and sing and it is the most sublime to hear. The soundstage is so natural in which the side instruments like mridangam, violin etc are located precisely and the music becomes whole.
In the CDs, I often get distracted when suddenly the violin which was sounding on one side moves to the other, suddenly everything sound from centre, many a time it turns into mono rather than stereo. Carnatic music is pure and even the minute distractions are enough to take away the music to inferior and hard-to-listen levels. This is especially true when you listen to the so-called "digitally mastered" old recordings of stalwarts in the field. If they were alive now, I am sure they would have murdered the mixing and recording guys.
One classic example I can cite is an old CD I still own (even after 15 years) bought from USA (made in Japan), which is a original JVC recording live of the veena maestro, S. Balachander, and sounds so sublime and pure (no accompanying instruments, just solo veena). You should hear it to believe.
Talking of the same gentleman, several decades back, once he came for a concert in the temple where I lived. Though he was well known for his temper, that day was special. He spent nearly an hour to tune his bass with the PA system employed by the poor temple authorities and the latter system was so antique and bad that he angrily stood up and said he was leaving without playing. Several people intervened to console him and finally he played without microphones and speakers, just live music which still reverberates in my memory.
Sorry, some nostalgia.
Can someone wake up our recording and mixing personnel and ask them to be true and faithful to music?

Happy listening.
murali

Quite true, Murali. But hope is still there. There are some good recording studios like Charsur which are doing a lovely job of maintaining good recording quality.

Nothing beats live music, though. I have gotten that live feeling in a few cases when I hear through my system. Very few though. One notable situation where I thought the situation was quite near live was when we attended the Margazhi Ragam (filmed Carnatic recital) at Sathyam Cinemas (6 degree). The theatre was small and comfy and the I think the acoustics were modified specifically for this showing. Greatly enjoyed it.

I would buy at least a couple of DVDs of Margazhi Raagam if it came out. But sadly it has not come out even now. I would love to be proven wrong on this though:)

Quite true, Murali. But hope is still there. There are some good recording studios like Charsur which are doing a lovely job of maintaining good recording quality.

Nothing beats live music, though. I have gotten that live feeling in a few cases when I hear through my system. Very few though. One notable situation where I thought the situation was quite near live was when we attended the Margazhi Ragam (filmed Carnatic recital) at Sathyam Cinemas (6 degree). The theatre was small and comfy and the I think the acoustics were modified specifically for this showing. Greatly enjoyed it.

I would buy at least a couple of DVDs of Margazhi Raagam if it came out. But sadly it has not come out even now. I would love to be proven wrong on this though:)

I thought Marghazi Raagam was a single movie with Bombay Jayashree and others - is there a series for various other artistes as well?

and I have a CD recording where the "thoppi" or larger side of a Mridangam is in the left speaker and the "valanthalai" is on the right. That makes for a Mridangam that is 1.8mtrs wide ... :)

Talk about larger than life imaging!! :lol:

just imagine if the recording engineers of the same caliber that worked with the likes of Diana Krall (and all those other intimately recorded artistes in western music), also had recorded a young BalaMurliKrishna and all the other greats we have in our music world ... :clapping:

Alas its just a daydream ... :sad:

Cheers

I somehow managed to miss this both the times they screened it and am hoping they would screen it once more. I too was hoping to see if this concert would be released on DVD but looks unlikely...

Hi Thad, I am the fan of Dr.N.Rajam, can you write me for what are the titles availabe on cds for her works in which labels and the availability?
regards.

Hi Sunder

You should hear the Title " The enchanting Violin of Dr.N.Rajam accompanied by Ustad Zakir Hussian , the Raga is Mian Malhar , Chaya Nat and Khamaj . The Cd is released by Oriental Records.
The recording quality is decent and the rendering is Fantastic

Dev.

Hai murali_n,

can you recommend some classical music to my one and half year old kid to enhance her concentration and learning skills.I have bought the VAADYA collection recommended by you from dream emphasis and thats a good one.

thank you.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back