South Indian Carnatic Classical Music

Murali, I absolutely agree with your comments, and would add a further couple of regular carnatic-recording sins:

1. Shruti box blaring
so loud that one has to strain to hear the music over it. Engineers either have some very odd idea of what music is, or they simply didn't listen to the mix.

2. Knob twiddling
... Oooh! What does this one do?

Whilst I understand that The Grateful Dead got some great results doing this, and drove the studios absolutely mad doing it, most effects are absolutely inappropriate to classical music. I have a Balamuralikrishna CD with added echo! It is impossible to listen to. Acoustic engineers stuggle to eliminate echo from concert halls, and these studio guys thought it was clever to add it! :mad:

Let the knob twiddlers stick to making wedding videos!

Of course, if one suffers listening to the CDs, how much more does one suffer in the concerts themselves? I can go on about this at length, but... bad acoustics, sound engineers without a clue, and bowing and scraping sabbha managers who believe that the artist should be allowed to control the sound from the stage. Many artists do not have a clue about microphones anyway; almost none of them appreciate that they do not hear what the audience hears.

Last weak I went to a T V Gopalakrishnan concert. He obviously had difficult hearing himself and his crew. Despite there being monitors on stage, the idiot techician kept raising the hall level. Add to this that, despite his seniority and undeniable genius as a musician, he does not understand uni-directional microphones. Hey, maybe he shouldn't have to; maybe the crew should understand when they have to mic someone who moves his head a lot! Of course... they don't.

Whoa! Hey, thanks for reading my rant. I'll try not to do it again ;)

But before I go, one more sin: the veena played through a booming, base-heavy, guitar amp.

Oh, and, crosspoted with...

Gobble, two sides of a mridangam on left and right CD channels... I've heard that too: makes utter rubbish of a recording.

Sunder, I only saw N Rajam play once, and don't have any of her recordings

Redd; I saw a cd of telegu lullabies by a classical artist, might be appropriate for your youngster. Otherwise, as even small children love rhythm, I'd suggest some tala vadya stuff. Particularly, I suggest TVG's (mentioned above singing, also an incredible mridangist) solo CDs. He can play mridangam in a way that is so soothing, hypnotic, unbelievably peaceful for percussion!

Lots of CDs produced by Tharangini are of good quality recording and the price is also very reasonable (Rs.75- Rs.125) .

Dev.

I beg to differ. These are the worst recordings I have heard in CDs and often I have wondered whether Sri Jesudas, a great singer, started this to make money rather than share his musical passions. Their earlier tape recordings were much better.
I presume you are either a dealer/distributor for Tharangini or grade CDs by their prices, the cheaper the better. Otherwise, you should not have made this observation.

cheers.
murali

I beg to differ. These are the worst recordings I have heard in CDs and often I have wondered whether Sri Jesudas, a great singer, started this to make money rather than share his musical passions. Their earlier tape recordings were much better.
I presume you are either a dealer/distributor for Tharangini or grade CDs by their prices, the cheaper the better. Otherwise, you should not have made this observation.

cheers.
murali

Most of Yesudas Classical recordings used to be LIVE, so that may be reason for the poor Rec Quality. The poor acoustics at the venue may be revealed in the recordings. But who complained of Rec Quality those days.
I think Kosmic music is doing full justice to the artistes by their Rec Qual. Also most of Music Today Recordings are good.

N.Murali

I concur with the general feeling of the recording quality of the carnatic music. Most of them are awful. The voice/instruments suddenly shift in the middle of the piece, no sound stage etc. Someone mentioned charsur. I read about them in Mint last year (before the music festival) and bought a few CDs when I was in Chennai. The recording quality is ok and nothing to rave about.
For the first time, I attended carnatic concerts last Dec in chennai. The hall acoustics were terrible.
I picked up the ticket for Sudha's concert in Mylopre fine arts from a sabha member. He told me that the acoustics in the hall is very good. I had a first row seat and found a giant speaker in front of me. Through out the concert, the music was in mono and it was weird to see the musicians in one place where as the music was coming from a different place. The music was divine and that made up for the poor acoustics. In the next concert, after 20 mts or so, the singer asked the audience if they can hear her. The guys at the back were shouting no. So, they increased the volume. Now the people in the front complained that it was too loud.
I don't mean to be patronizing but I think most of the sound technicians, organizers or 'rasikas' have no clue about good acoustics. No wonder even second rate recordings are accepted gleefully.
The best concert I attended was in Davies Symphony hall in SFO with NY phil playing Beethoven's 5th. I was seated all the way at the back. I could not only hear each and every instrument clearly but its position as well. I don't expect to get a similar experience in India anytime soon.
That reminds me, I need to do some acoustic treatment of my listening room.

I dont expect the quality of recordings to go up anytime soon.

There was a time when Music Today was churning out good quality recordings. But these were priced at Rs 400 to Rs 500 in late 90s. The price was steep, the margins would have been enough for them to invest in the quality of recordings.

With MP3, the demand for good quality CDs has nosedived, irrespective of how many members hifivision has. Many people buy the lifetime collection of artistes in two or three MP3 CDs are happy listening to them. I have even seen (for a fleeting weekend) MP3 CDs of Music Today Hinduastani titles in Planet M.

As a result, fresh recordings are becoming rare. I am unable to spot even one fresh carnatic recording of Music Today. With the drop in demand, they also had to drop their prices. I just recived a Mysore Doreswamy Iyengar CD from landmark. The original price is 395 in 2000. On top of it they have pasted a new price of Rs 195 in 2006. It means thay have been holding this inventory for the past nine years and have dropped prices 50% in during this period.

I dont think the listening tastes (swinging towards MP3 and live concerts) and the price points (125 to 200) are making good recordings economically viable. Maybe the listening community needs to grow and also cultivate an appetite to pay, before this trend can get reversed.

I thought Marghazi Raagam was a single movie with Bombay Jayashree and others - is there a series for various other artistes as well?

and I have a CD recording where the "thoppi" or larger side of a Mridangam is in the left speaker and the "valanthalai" is on the right. That makes for a Mridangam that is 1.8mtrs wide ... :)

Talk about larger than life imaging!! :lol:

just imagine if the recording engineers of the same caliber that worked with the likes of Diana Krall (and all those other intimately recorded artistes in western music), also had recorded a young BalaMurliKrishna and all the other greats we have in our music world ... :clapping:

Alas its just a daydream ... :sad:

Cheers

Yeah, if dreams were horses...and all that.

Margazhi Raagam is a Carnatic recital which features Bombay Jayshree and T M Krishna. Both superb artistes. T.M.Krishna's extravagant gestures and Jayshree's immense concentrating powers are shown with beautiful and subtle shades of light in this one of a kind movie.

Does this CD have electronic instruments? I'm afraid that will negate all the benefits. In all the carnatic fusion CD's I have (I have a dozen or more) I find that even the hint of a keyboard in the background ruins some of the effect and wholesome experience of the sound of purely acoustical non-amplified instruments. And then I have this great CD of a jugalbandi between Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam and Pt. Anindo Chaterjee - it has a electronic keyboard providing "Santoor" accompaniment.I can't help grating my teeth every time it plays prominent melodic pieces in between :mad:

Dr. HarreHarren from Puducherry also makes great light classical carnatic music for music therapy in an instrumental ensemble format.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=133599088902&index=1

Regards

Last edited:
Does this CD have electronic instruments? I'm afraid that will negate all the benefits. In all the carnatic fusion CD's I have (I have a dozen or more) I find that even the hint of a keyboard in the background ruins some of the effect and wholesome experience of the sound of purely acoustical non-amplified instruments. And then I have this great CD of a jugalbandi between Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam and Pt. Anindo Chaterjee - it has a electronic keyboard providing "Santoor" accompaniment.I can't help grating my teeth every time it plays prominent melodic pieces in between :mad:

Dr. HarreHarren from Puducherry also makes great light classical carnatic music for music therapy in an instrumental ensemble format.

Carnatic lecture desmonstration & Concert by Dr. Harre Harren | Facebook

Regards

Actually Gobble, you may want to listen to 'Maaya'. It can probably be characterized as Carnatic Fusion with Anil Srinivasan on the piano and Sikkil Gurucharan with the vocals. I think its an excellent amalgamation. But I see where you are coming from and I also accept that to combine these things is pretty difficult.

I would be interested to see what you make of 'Maaya' - its a Charsur recording.

Actually Gobble, you may want to listen to 'Maaya'. It can probably be characterized as Carnatic Fusion with Anil Srinivasan on the piano and Sikkil Gurucharan with the vocals. I think its an excellent amalgamation. But I see where you are coming from and I also accept that to combine these things is pretty difficult.

I would be interested to see what you make of 'Maaya' - its a Charsur recording.

Already have it. Its great! One of the best albums one can buy.

PS:Its not keyboard as in piano I was complaining about - its the electronic version that I was referring to.

Cheers

Already have it. Its great! One of the best albums one can buy.

PS:Its not keyboard as in piano I was complaining about - its the electronic version that I was referring to.

Cheers

Oh Ok. I see where you are coming from In that case, I absolutely agree.

cheers.
murali

LOL I am not a Dealer neither Distributor for Tharangini records, i have heard few tharangini Cds and the quality is quite good , I dont know when it was produced. Cds like Pononam Tharangini and onam pattukal are decent recordings,. you cant compare these with a Music today or other recordings, but for the price you pay , they are worth.

Dev.

I recently heard the CD from Great master series ,Dr.Balamurali krishna. The sound quality was horrible, but the ragas were so good that I forgot about the sound quality and did not bother if the mirudangam is coming from the centre or from left or from back :rolleyes: Dr.Balamurali's voice is so sweet that you forget what system you are listening to. To me the music should be placed first rather then the system.

I also bought this collection: Vaadya: A Timeless celebration....

But there is a big goof-up by the India Today group. The CD titled N.Ravikiran does not have any Ravikiran music at all. Infact, it has vocals by Sudha Raghunathan. Very disappointed with this. I still haven't check all the CD's yet. The CD's of Doreyswamy Iyengar, T.N. Krishnan and Kadri Gopalnath and Mandolin Srinivas are fine. Very disappointed to not find Ravikiran's CD.

There is a mention of this goof-up by other too on other sites, and looks like I am not the only victim here. I have lost the bill and not sure if this can be rectified.

Harish

I recently heard the CD from Great master series ,Dr.Balamurali krishna. The sound quality was horrible, but the ragas were so good that I forgot about the sound quality and did not bother if the mirudangam is coming from the centre or from left or from back :rolleyes: Dr.Balamurali's voice is so sweet that you forget what system you are listening to. To me the music should be placed first rather then the system.

The platinum series has good recording of BMK.

Regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back