South Indian Carnatic Classical Music

In the last few days... Prema Rangarajan (vocal, fabulous concert), the veena concert which clashed with the hifivision meet (excellent, though beset with technical problems) and, tonight, a blistering concert from T V Shankaranarayanan, with UKS playing mridangam. Much more to come :)

Yes, it is a very good site for forward planning. Nice search-by-artist capability too. I am hoping they will keep it up all year.

Still, the morning ritual with chai, The Hindu, and a red pen, is hard to beat :licklips:

Yes, it is a very good site for forward planning. Nice search-by-artist capability too. I am hoping they will keep it up all year.

Still, the morning ritual with chai, The Hindu, and a red pen, is hard to beat :licklips:

Wonder if any of you folks would be interested in this forum: rasikas.org very good and learned participants.

cheers

I was strolling on Canbridge Road in Bangalore last thursday (on the way to Annapoorani, as authentic a Thanjavur restaurant as they can come, do give it a try) and was accosted by a sales agent. As the best of surprises, it wasnt about credit card or car loan or insurance. It was for Vaadya, the eight cd set. I am suspicious of Music Today brandings nowadays (keep recycling old stuff under new names), but was convinced about atleast five of the eight titles (atleast i didnt have them).

So, for 499 Rs, i have atleast five more good quality recordings. I heard Prasanna for the first time and it sounds quite good, at times like Mandolin.

I have a query on the Mandoling CD of Shrinivas in the Vaadya set. It is accompanied by Violin very prominently. Does anyone know who is the artiste. The CD itself is very frugal about the details of this compilation.

some salesperson came to my gate, offering classical music.

To be honest, I didn't even look to see what it was, I just told him I have a couple of hundred CDs already and walked away.

Last few days, I have seen TVS again (this time with Thiruvayur Baktavatsalam (excuse spelling) and, today, G Madhavan' RTP concert, and another concert, vocal duet, by Mambalam sisters.

Gobble, Listened to Blue divine by sikkil and anil, sequel to Maaya and Madhirakshi, Not sure if it will grow on me, but sounded good on first listen,

To be honest, I didn't even look to see what it was, I just told him I have a couple of hundred CDs already and walked away.

Last few days, I have seen TVS again (this time with Thiruvayur Baktavatsalam (excuse spelling) and, today, G Madhavan' RTP concert, and another concert, vocal duet, by Mambalam sisters.

I like his playing - Thiruvayur Baktavatsalam. Something nice about it.

Regards

Gobble, Listened to Blue divine by sikkil and anil, sequel to Maaya and Madhirakshi, Not sure if it will grow on me, but sounded good on first listen,

Will check it out thanks ... :)

Right now I've found a new way of controlling my shopping for CD's (which was becoming like alcohol addiction :lol:) - listen to FM radio through my amp. This way I need to turn on my system only once or twice a week and recycle the old CDs/Music. :)

I am unable to renew WorldSpace and listen to Carnatic channel as there is no shop left that does renewals. My old serial is not accepted by website.

Cheers

Anyone heard the new Margazhi Ragam by TM Krishna and Bombay Jaishree? I saw the price of DVD at 1250 and was shocked. I have to wait until they go on sale as its a bit too much irrespective of the quality. C'mon sponsors - how many people can afford DVDs at these prices?

DVDs at the price of Blueray, what a rip-off!

Anyone heard the new Margazhi Ragam by TM Krishna and Bombay Jaishree? I saw the price of DVD at 1250 and was shocked. I have to wait until they go on sale as its a bit too much irrespective of the quality. C'mon sponsors - how many people can afford DVDs at these prices?

Very disappointed.

I read in this forum about the Ravikiran CD missing in Vaadya set and that it is replaced by Sudha Raghunathan.

I had earlier bought the same Ravikiran CD as standalone (Dikshitar Krithis). I was looking forward to a bonus Sudha Raghunathan.

Alas, in my set, it is Ravikiran. Happy to swap it with Sudha Raghunathan , anyone. I am in Mumbai though.

Marsilians - if it is available, I am going to go run out and get it. It is simply riveting. A bravura performance from two top notch artists.

Incidentally it was also transfixing to watch those two in action. Complete contrasts. One - focused completely within and other merrily playing to the audience. P C Sriram's lighting was soothing on the eyes and one the whole it was a different and uplifting experience.

I had the opportunity to go catch this at a movie hall when it was first released.

Thad - just curious. How was the Neyveli Santhanagopalan concert that you attended. I remember you praising it. On the same note what do you think of the Hindu review in the supplementary that they release specially for the Music season. It was pretty scathing in its review and it might be useful to see what you made of it given that you attended it personally.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back