South Indian Carnatic Classical Music

Marsilians - if it is available, I am going to go run out and get it. It is simply riveting. A bravura performance from two top notch artists.

I have seen it in couple local places in B'lore. I believe its avail at landmark stores in Chennai.

Thx for the update, I will still hold off until its avail for 500/600 or if the pricing does not change, I will have to go in for a split buy with some of my friends. 600 is the upper limit I would pay for a single DVD.

Thad - just curious. How was the Neyveli Santhanagopalan concert that you attended. I remember you praising it.
Did I? I think I have only seen him sing once, and that was quite a few months ago. He's on my list to see regularly, but somehow it never seems to happen! I do regard him as a first-class artist. I enjoy seeing him in the audience too: no nonsense, just pure attention to the music.

Did I? I think I have only seen him sing once, and that was quite a few months ago. He's on my list to see regularly, but somehow it never seems to happen! I do regard him as a first-class artist. I enjoy seeing him in the audience too: no nonsense, just pure attention to the music.

I actually might have gotten confused, Thad. Maybe I mixed up T.V.Shankaranarayanan with Santhanagopalan. :)

Excellent suggestions guys.. thank you :) I wanted to share an experience with you. I visited Guruvayur Temple last year and at around 5:30 the temple artists played various instruments for about 20 mins or so, I am not sure what it's called though some people tell me that it's panchavadyam but I am not sure there were 5 instruments playing.

If you guys can get a recording or better still hear it live I would strongly recommend it. I was completely spell bound hearing them play.

Excellent suggestions guys.. thank you :) I wanted to share an experience with you. I visited Guruvayur Temple last year and at around 5:30 the temple artists played various instruments for about 20 mins or so, I am not sure what it's called though some people tell me that it's panchavadyam but I am not sure there were 5 instruments playing.

If you guys can get a recording or better still hear it live I would strongly recommend it. I was completely spell bound hearing them play.

Hi crisscross,

I am providing a link here: Krishnattam (Krishnanattam)

In this link, at the top of the page you will find a video (unfortunately quite large file - 117MB) containing a performance. I believe this is what you are referring to. This is called the Krishnattam Keli - basically an announcement done around 6PM to let people know that there will be a Krishnattam performance that night (generally starting after 10PM). The Krishnattam performances take place throughout the year, with the exception of the Summer months. For example, right now I believe they are not performing, they will start again from September, I think.. A dear friend of mine has put up and maintains that page. That page provides information about this old dance-drama form.

Regards.

This is an exhilarating experience! It has to be experienced live to appreciate the sheer energy that is present. They take decades of training and sheer dedication to reach there.

I used to enjoy this a lot when I lived in my grandpas house during my teen years. There used to be a kathakali and chenda vadyam training school nearby.

You cannot recreate the experience on a music system. Live is live !

Can anyone please help me?
I'm looking for a song whose lyrics are:
"bhaja re sriramam he manasa"
"bhaja re raghuramam he manasa..."

I got the following Google book result:
Sacred songs of India - Google Books

This probably falls under the carnatic "light music" category as I think it is a bhajan. I also think that O.S. Arun has sung this song.

I was able to find the lyrics from google, but I am unable to find the CD that has this song.

This is also one of the most melodic and haunting Carnatic songs I have ever heard. I would dearly like to get hold of a CD, and would deeply appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!

Hi crisscross,

I am providing a link here: Krishnattam (Krishnanattam)

In this link, at the top of the page you will find a video (unfortunately quite large file - 117MB) containing a performance. I believe this is what you are referring to. This is called the Krishnattam Keli - basically an announcement done around 6PM to let people know that there will be a Krishnattam performance that night (generally starting after 10PM). The Krishnattam performances take place throughout the year, with the exception of the Summer months. For example, right now I believe they are not performing, they will start again from September, I think.. A dear friend of mine has put up and maintains that page. That page provides information about this old dance-drama form.

Regards.

Wow! thanks Asit that's the one :) no chance of getting a CD i suppose?.

on asliarun's lines I did hear a caller tune the other day which started with the words "om aim shreem after which the bhajan started with instruments playing in the background I didn't catch all the slokas but I think it started with sree rama gana...." if anyone knows the name of this sloka and the singer that would be wonderful :)

Hi friends, I hope that some of our forum members can help.
Please list the 'Best Recorded' Hindustani, Carnatic, Bhajan and Gazal
music cds in all labels. We may have very good hifi systems but in our
music collection,We still dont have the cds as convincing recorded INDIAN
music CDs. Film producers are ready to spend enomous money to make a
failure movie with a weak story, but not ready to make the songs which will be listened for 100 years as recorded as best! We have thousands of classic
Indian songs, but most of the songs suitable only listen to on Radio!
Thank you,
sunder.

Can anyone please help me?
I'm looking for a song whose lyrics are:
"bhaja re sriramam he manasa"
"bhaja re raghuramam he manasa..."

I got the following Google book result:
Sacred songs of India - Google Books

This probably falls under the carnatic "light music" category as I think it is a bhajan. I also think that O.S. Arun has sung this song.

I was able to find the lyrics from google, but I am unable to find the CD that has this song.

This is also one of the most melodic and haunting Carnatic songs I have ever heard. I would dearly like to get hold of a CD, and would deeply appreciate it if anyone can help me out.

Thanks!

Google a little deeper!

???? ???????? bhajarE SrIrAmaM ???? ??????? ??????????

There is a Flash object on the page that will play you the song.

Sorry, I can't help with a CD

EDIT: Goodness, that link makes it look as if I can speak/read/write Telugu! Nope: the display text must be coming from the link <Blush>

Last edited:
Hi friends, I hope that some of our forum members can help.
Please list the 'Best Recorded' Hindustani, Carnatic, Bhajan and Gazal
music cds in all labels. We may have very good hifi systems but in our
music collection,We still dont have the cds as convincing recorded INDIAN
music CDs. Film producers are ready to spend enomous money to make a
failure movie with a weak story, but not ready to make the songs which will be listened for 100 years as recorded as best! We have thousands of classic
Indian songs, but most of the songs suitable only listen to on Radio!
Thank you,
sunder.

Somewhere earlier in this thread, there is a discussion on quality recordings.

I have found Music Today and Charsur of good quality. Saregama has some mind blowing performance but with junk recording quality. Chhanda Dhara is supposed to be good quality (mostly hindustani with a sprinkling of Carnatic), but dont own any yet.

Regards

Google a little deeper!

???? ???????? bhajarE SrIrAmaM ???? ??????? ??????????

There is a Flash object on the page that will play you the song.

Sorry, I can't help with a CD

EDIT: Goodness, that link makes it look as if I can speak/read/write Telugu! Nope: the display text must be coming from the link <Blush>

Thanks a ton for your help, Thad!!

I listened to the song. Unfortunately, the version I heard was in a different raaga, and was also a lot more melodic. I will keep looking.

First person comes in my mind when i think about southern carnatic music is Bombay Jayasri. She is repertoire of meditative music.She has also composed music for dance ballets and documentaries.
Jayashri has performed in:
The Music Academy, Chennai
Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai
Sri Shanmukhananda Sabha, Mumbai
Sri Shanmukhananda Sabha, New Delhi
Sangeet Sammelan, All India Radio, All India
Vasantha Habba, Nrityagram, Bangalore
Sri Vishnudigambar Festival, New Delhi
Bhakthi Utsav, New Delhi
Spirit of Unity Concerts for National Integration, All India
Spic Macay Festivals, All India
Soorya Festival, Trivandrum

First person comes in my mind when i think about southern carnatic music is Bombay Jayasri.

Sorry for jumping in (I am not into carnatic music). The mention of Bombay Jayashree brings this song to my memory. Not sure if she has performed in other hindi movies (agreed, this hindi movie was indeed a remake).

Zara Zara behakata hai ... perenially mesmerizing!

Panchavadyam is mesmerising and the most energetic performance that i have heard and seen. Intermittently, the different instruments play together in seeming cacaphony. But if you close your eyes, they tantalisingly come together. I was lucky enough to stand a foot behind the column of performers and wasnt shooed away (unlike most other people who were). I stood transfixed for about an hour that the performance continued.

Late in the evening, i bought a CD of it and listened at home. Difficult to recreate the magic and aura, but i guess is a lot to do with the aura of Guruvayoor.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back