SPDIF Transport: Allo Digione or Allo Digione Signature Bundle (seeking opinions)

Logistics and playback update:

Decided to get an external HDD to hold my digital music collection (about 400GB as of now)
Got Toshiba Canvio Basic 1TB A3 USB3.0 (pre-formatted to NTFS)
Dumped all the music into it and categorized into two broad folders:
1. FLAC-WAV
2. MP3-WMA

Hooked up to Digione USB 3.0 port. HDD actually sits nicely on top of the unit.
Indexing took a couple of minutes the first time; not bad Volumio.
Figured out that Volumio player does not play out "cue" files.
So had to convert FLAC to WAV on some albums.
Chose WAV, cause I am too lazy to download the appropriate foobar2K plugin.

The last week or so, it is hooked up to the all Parasound chain (see signature).
Mobile users, use landscape mode to view signature. Someone on the forum figured this one out :)
Re-positioned the KEFs with an aggressive toe-in.

Played out some tracks/albums from:
- Bob Dylan (old ones)
- Elvis Presley (this guy is an eternal charmer)
- Bob Marley
- Lenny Cohen
- Tracy Chapman
- Tom Petty (& The Heartbreakers)

Lenny Cohen and Tracy Chapman sounded really, really good.
Fewer instruments, less busy music and great vocals.
My music collection has come alive again in a less hassle-some way because of Allo Digione.

I've been re-evaluating the Parasound NC275v2 performance.
Last year I felt that it was missing the sparkle up top. The source was laptop/USB.
Now the source is Digione/Coax; this sounds much more balanced.
It may have been a lousy USB cable or new source or new speaker position.
All I can say is, playing around with small stuff can bring a smile on one's face.
I'm liking what the $400 amp brings to the game if fed good content from a decent source.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Good that you moved away from laptop based source to Digione. What I found is Allo setup betters laptop on almost every way, and nothing to do with usb cable.

Good that you moved away from laptop based source to Digione. What I found is Allo setup betters laptop on almost every way, and nothing to do with usb cable.
This is what I felt overall. Can't pinpoint what it is, but it is more enjoyable and balanced.
Cheers,
Raghu

True!
I was using Macbook air as the source, connecting the outboard DAC to the USB. The presentation was forward, bright and aggressive. Not sure if it was the USB interface or the laptop altogether. But Digione signature appeared to be a neutral source without lacking dynamics.

Logistics and playback update:

Decided to get an external HDD to hold my digital music collection (about 400GB as of now)
Got Toshiba Canvio Basic 1TB A3 USB3.0 (pre-formatted to NTFS)
Dumped all the music into it and categorized into two broad folders:
1. FLAC-WAV
2. MP3-WMA

Hooked up to Digione USB 3.0 port. HDD actually sits nicely on top of the unit.
Indexing took a couple of minutes the first time; not bad Volumio.
Figured out that Volumio player does not play out "cue" files.
So had to convert FLAC to WAV on some albums.
Chose WAV, cause I am too lazy to download the appropriate foobar2K plugin.

The last week or so, it is hooked up to the all Parasound chain (see signature).
Mobile users, use landscape mode to view signature. Someone on the forum figured this one out :)
Re-positioned the KEFs with an aggressive toe-in.

Played out some tracks/albums from:
- Bob Dylan (old ones)
- Elvis Presley (this guy is an eternal charmer)
- Bob Marley
- Lenny Cohen
- Tracy Chapman
- Tom Petty (& The Heartbreakers)

Lenny Cohen and Tracy Chapman sounded really, really good.
Fewer instruments, less busy music and great vocals.
My music collection has come alive again in a less hassle-some way because of Allo Digione.

I've been re-evaluating the Parasound NC275v2 performance.
Last year I felt that it was missing the sparkle up top. The source was laptop/USB.
Now the source is Digione/Coax; this sounds much more balanced.
It may have been a lousy USB cable or new source or new speaker position.
All I can say is, playing around with small stuff can bring a smile on one's face.
I'm liking what the $400 amp brings to the game if fed good content from a decent source.

Cheers,
Raghu

You are making give the Parasound chain a serious consideration now :). BTW, it could also be the USB on Parasound Pre. I have found SPDIF implementation to be better on entry level DACs as compared to USB.

Digione, Tidal and FLAC collection has become my primary source now. My extensive CD collection is feeling ignored.

Hi guys,
Note: pardon any noobness shining through in thia. Query.

I didn't know which thread to put this under as it pretty much covers my intended setup. So posting it here.
The Schiit line of products is only for illustration and I would be happy to get something else that is more value.

I'm looking for a solution to a simple problem and it seems to involve buying too much Schiit (or equivalent products)

I want to integrate network streamer like the allo into my setup and now I end up with two sources. And two outputs.

My analog source is a turntable with RCA out.
And my Digital Source is intended to be a Allo Digione RPi Player with SPDIF out.

I want to be able to listen using my active speakers from either source or through headphones from either source. (Edifier S1000db.with two rca inputs one digital input and one coax input and supports bluetooth aptx)

Is this the most elegant way: -

Turntable - Schiit Mani - Schiit Sys - Schiit Magni (rear rca out )- Active Speaker

Digital source - Schiit Modi - Schiit Sys - Magni (Front aux out) to Headphones

Using the sys I can switch source between digital and turntable (through dac and phonostage respectively)

And the Sciit Magni Heresy helps me switch output - outs to headphone when I plug into the front. Else defaults to active speakers via rear out. (?) (My headphone is a Audio Technica atm50x which actually doesn't need much power to be driven.)

I retain Echo dot seperately chained for voice functionality and convenience connected to the empty rca input of active speaker.

Am I missing something ? Or do I need this much Schiit.? Too many small budget schiit boxes stacked up against me and the result is not really budget anymore . Is there a better solution that can combine these functions more elegantly and economically ?

Allo Digione (non signature with stock PS) will do the trick.
Add a HDD and you are set with an offline player too (in addition to streamer)

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi all,

M looking for a cable for connecting a DAC and Allo Digione Coxial/SPDIF output. Being a basic setup, not wanting on Mogami or Belden cables just yet.

Had a very basic query - Will something like this be sufficient for the connection?

Wouldn't a simple RCA cable/ subwoofer cable also do the job?

This will do the job well.

Wouldn't a simple RCA cable/ subwoofer cable also do the job?
Yes, one can use a regular RCA analog cable for digital SPDIF connections. It usually works for short runs unless the impedance of cable vs gear is quite mis-matched. Digital Coax cables are 75 Ohm impedance especially the ones with BNC connectors. But at a pinch, one can use a regular analog 1-RCA cable and get away with it.

This will do the job well.

Yes, one can use a regular RCA analog cable for digital SPDIF connections. It usually works for short runs unless the impedance of cable vs gear is quite mis-matched. Digital Coax cables are 75 Ohm impedance especially the ones with BNC connectors. But at a pinch, one can use a regular analog 1-RCA cable and get away with it.
Thanks for clarifying shyam :) this helps

Hi all,

I added a new dac to the chain, had a query. Though the digione spdif sounds good, i find the usb to be more revealing.

Was wondering can i connect the dac and Digione via usb.. i.e. use the USB output from Digione usb to send digital output to dac usb in? If so, do i need to select NONE in the i2s device setting in Moode and that will do? Also, which usb port can i use for best results - multiple usb ports on the digione?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I added a new dac to the chain, had a query. Though the digione spdif sounds good, i find the usb to be more revealing.

Was wondering can i connect the dac and Digione via usb.. i.e. use the USB output from Digione usb to send digital output to dac usb in? If so, do i need to select NONE in the i2s device setting in Moode and that will do? Also, which usb port can i use for best results - multiple usb ports on the digione?

Thanks!
Consider Allo USBridge instead of Digione.
Cheers,
Raghu

Consider Allo USBridge instead of Digione.
Cheers,
Raghu
Thats on the to buy list for later.. ive spent on the nirvana to feed the digione and have the dac connected via 75 ohms mogami.. Like i said results are good with both mimby and Ares II. But sometimes i like the more resolving, forward sound from the Ares II listening on hd6xx over a usb connection. I wana go wireless with USB - with what i have - for now. Also AFAIK from YT review by Goldensound, the Ares II has its own buffer and internal clocks, so a better upstream source may not make a huge diff.

Now thats out of the way, is USB out from digione doable? Ofcourse USBridge will be better, but wana try digione first..

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back