Speaker Level (High level) output from stereo amp conversion to LFE Out

Shyamtanu

As it may seem evident, I am trying to achieve this - active sub woofer which has LFE in, needs to get the feed from a stereo amp speaker out as the amp does not have pre out/LFE out, can anyone help in achieving this? Frequency control will be a boon. I am looking at this Sub Woofer Processing Low Pass Filter Circuit Finished Board with NE5532 Op Amp | eBay but am not sure it can take speaker level inputs, please help

Thanks
Shyamtanu

The signal will lose its fidelity or whatevers left of it when you do that.

Edit: Yep my Rel T5 does that too ..

--G0bble

to do that, use the "Speaker level to Line level converter" try it on ebay, GEB and you will find a lot of results. Few years ago, I purchased one such device, but was not at all satisfied with it, so I ended up purchasing a new receiver. hope that helps.

As it may seem evident, I am trying to achieve this - active sub woofer which has LFE in, needs to get the feed from a stereo amp speaker out as the amp does not have pre out/LFE out, can anyone help in achieving this? Frequency control will be a boon. I am looking at this Sub Woofer Processing Low Pass Filter Circuit Finished Board with NE5532 Op Amp | eBay but am not sure it can take speaker level inputs, please help

Thanks
Shyamtanu

It can take speaker level inputs after connecting 1M (1/4) watts resistance in series. You can experiment with other values also. Just for extra precaution start with 10M resistance.
As per my understanding of your query, your Subwoofer do not have crossover, only has an inbuilt Amplifier. Please clarify .

Just saw that your Amp has Recorder out, it can be used as pre- out.

Regards,

Vipin.

Last edited:
You are right, it does not have crossover, only LFE input, it is active sub. Rec out on PM6003 will do as Pre out irrespective of the input? Will that be impacted by volume control of the amp? Sorry but I am new to this hence the questions.

to do that, use the "Speaker level to Line level converter" try it on ebay, GEB and you will find a lot of results. Few years ago, I purchased one such device, but was not at all satisfied with it, so I ended up purchasing a new receiver. hope that helps.

You mean you bought a stereo receiver with a pre out or sub out? Another stereo amp with pre out may be also good but I wont be able to use my existing sub with that, pre to LFE converter will be the solution in that case, not sure such things exist. These two are available on ebay, will it work - Pyle - PLVHL60 - 2 Channel Speaker to RCA Converter

Caliber CHL20 Car Stereo Converter High Level Speaker Output to RCA | eBay

Kindly suggest if they will be good for this job, I think the RCA connection needs to be aided by a low pass filter, is that commercially available please?

You are right, it does not have crossover, only LFE input, it is active sub. Rec out on PM6003 will do as Pre out irrespective of the input? Will that be impacted by volume control of the amp? Sorry but I am new to this hence the questions.

Volume control of PM6003 will not have any impact/control on the Rec Out level and you will have to control Subwoofer output with the Volume control provided in the Subwoofer itself.[ I know its bad news]

Have you tried Headphone out. [Amp Volume control will work] Just an Idea, will work only if inserting Headphone jack does not mutes main Speaker. In my Luxman amp it was possible.

Regards,

Vipin.

Volume control of PM6003 will not have any impact/control on the Rec Out level and you will have to control Subwoofer output with the Volume control provided in the Subwoofer itself.[ I know its bad news]

Have you tried Headphone out. [Amp Volume control will work] Just an Idea, will work only if inserting Headphone jack does not mutes main Speaker. In my Luxman amp it was possible.

Regards,

Vipin.

No I tried that, headphone disconnects speakers, I have tried rec out from one of the channels and feeding it into sub, total garbage. it is ruining everything. I will not try this way, rather have a set of floor standers when I have the money, or have a sub which can take speaker level inputs. But the best thing to do probably is to have floor standers. Because balancing separate volumes affect the music negatively. another way will be to feed the CD output into a sub which can bypass filtered high pass signal to a stereo amp, but those many components in the signal path will distort the source signal for sure. What say?

Last edited:
what sub is this.
behringer has a product that can solve this. cant remember the number. search.

No I tried that, headphone disconnects speakers, I have tried rec out from one of the channels and feeding it into sub, total garbage. it is ruining everything. I will not try this way, rather have a set of floor standers when I have the money, or have a sub which can take speaker level inputs. But the best thing to do probably is to have floor standers. Because balancing separate volumes affect the music negatively. another way will be to feed the CD output into a sub which can bypass filtered high pass signal to a stereo amp, but those many components in the signal path will distort the source signal for sure. What say?

By using rec out, you are providing full frequency [20 Hz to 20K] to the subwoofer, thats why it is sounding as full range speaker. Inclusion of following filter will give you the desired results.:)

Active Sub-Woofer Filter

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back