Speaker Positioning with Turntable

shankyys

Hi,

Is there any thumbrule thats being followed as what should be the minimum distance of the Tower Speakers from the Turntable?

I am aware of that there are many tutorials and writeups available but generally any idea as what is the distance one should maintain.

There is a definite feedback that the turntable picks up. The quantom depends on how well damped it is. You could test that by putting the needle down on a stationary platter+record, and turning up the volume on the amp.

Placing the table a few feet away from the speakers helps if it is not in the direct line of fire of the speaker. Having an absorbent mat and a weight on the top of the record takes care of most of the issues.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Keep the TT on one side of the Speaker about 3 feet away, so that it is not facing the drivers. Also try and damp the turntable. I have used a sand box with good effect for the projects. If not that, placing the TT on a slab of stone will clean up the sound. In case you are in Bangalore I can let you try out a sand box which I have lying unused.

There is a definite feedback that the turntable picks up. The quantom depends on how well damped it is. You could test that by putting the needle down on a stationary platter+record, and turning up the volume on the amp.

Placing the table a few feet away from the speakers helps if it is not in the direct line of fire of the speaker. Having an absorbent mat and a weight on the top of the record takes care of most of the issues.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Thanks for your feedback.
You mean to say that putting a Mat on the surface and then placing the Turntable on the Mat can reduce the feedback/hum which it picks up? Kindly confirm.

Keep the TT on one side of the Speaker about 3 feet away, so that it is not facing the drivers. Also try and damp the turntable. I have used a sand box with good effect for the projects. If not that, placing the TT on a slab of stone will clean up the sound. In case you are in Bangalore I can let you try out a sand box which I have lying unused.

I keep my TT on the top of the audio showcase where I keep my other audio hi fi units. So do u recommend me to keep it on some slab and then place the slab on the top of the showcase?

A picture of your set up would help fm's to suggest better.
I keep my TT on the top of the audio showcase where I keep my other audio hi fi units. So do u recommend me to keep it on some slab and then place the slab on the top of the showcase?

What speaker do you use and how low does it go ? keeping in in between and around 1-2 feet behind the front plane of the speakers always works best .
the biggest problem here is when the resonant frequency of a tonearm+Cartridge is activated..but as long as the cartridge and tonearm are well matched they are in the 8-12 Hz range and i doubt any speaker going that low

Keeping the rack on a slab may not be of much help since our Indian floors are usually quite solid. The slab is best below the turntable table itself, and used to isolate the TT from the rack and the room. If your cabinet can take the weight do give it a try. In case the Rack surface is uneven you could put some rubber washes between the slab and the Cabinet. It worked well with me when I was using my project Xpression. I used a slab of green granite.

Thanks for your feedback.
You mean to say that putting a Mat on the surface and then placing the Turntable on the Mat can reduce the feedback/hum which it picks up? Kindly confirm.
No that would not help. Many folks here are confusing this with vibrations from the ground or rack traveling to the record. We are talking about the record picking up the vibrations from the air. It does.
I was referring to a rubber, or cork turntable mat on top of the platter, just under the record. While the turntable weight is placed on top of the record pressing it down.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back