speaker search again!suggestions welcome!

metalmickey

hi all
here i am....again!....ever since i ended up with a cheap but still nice tube amp in the name of YAQIN MC-10L ive been searching for an good speaker...which would sing my jazz records beautifully(in a budget!)my cdp is an marantz cd6004...cables are by acoustic research 16awg(need to change as they are quite old)ic is chord crimson plus....

SO FAR!....

yaqin first paired with fm murali_n's aviano 2 sounded neat but me being an vocals lover found mids to be slightly not to my preference...even paired with lyritta full range driver but felt it to be lacking the sound signature i would prefer...i.e good mids.....then i bring the chinese babe:licklips: home to mate with the british:cool: wharf 10.1....and guess what i really liked the mids now but felt the 50 watt tube integrated would perform better in bigger speakers but still stayed away from even searching for floor standers as my room cant acoustically accomadate them:sad:
with the wharfs i felt the highs were bit recessed and vocals could be more airy...
so i pick up fm mpw's amazing paradigm titan monitors two weeks back but the buy was blind and all my fault as ive never heard a paradigm before and just went by online reviews and fm's recommendations...the shipping was bad and i no more want to discuss about my loss...but the speaker had no damage except for the grills:yahoo:...
the titans are wonderful speaker and cant be beaten at sub 40k category BUT the amp that suits them would be only a nad in my opinion or a really warm sounding amp...with the slightly bright yaqin the titans are like soldiers with sword who make trophies out of your ear drums!:p ...the bass was really good though for an bookshelf...

The titans are going to be ON SALE by the weekend...

RIGHT NOW-

my search continues again!:eek: for an Bookshelf/standmount speaker within budget of max 40k...my music preference is mostly vocal jazz,world music,and lounge!...prefer an speaker that shines on nice airy vocals,decent bass(but that can also be taken care by wharf sub!)and decent highs but not harsh and bright....placement shouldnt be an issue as ive got bad space constraints...
about the yaqin...they are slightly bright by default...looking for nos tubes...help/suggestions needed from tube guru's here....

my friend has an b&w 602 s2 & s3...but he has only the s2 for sale now though i am planning to persuade him for the s3 incase i like.........any comments about the 602's are welcome...

ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME for the speakers keeping in mind my amp,budget and music genre preference...waiting for guru's to guide me...

Last edited:
Shame you're not in Delhi, I would have offered you to come and listen to my Jamo e875 / c607 towers which I'm thinking of putting up for sale soon around 40-45 but perform well above other floor standers of much higher price.

Last edited:
I'll suggest you take a listen to the following speakers with your amp if possible:

1. PSB Imagine B and Image B6
  2. Epos M series - M12i and M5i
  3. B&W 685 (not sure about this combo, but I really like the B&W house sound)

I mentioned only bookshelves. Assuming your room is average sized (140-180 sq ft) I think you will be better off with bookshelves.

The 60x series from B&W is very good. I personally think the 602 S2 are better speakers than the S3. Have you listened to the two speakers side by side to see which you like better with your amp?

I know someone who is ready to lap up the S2 if you don't want to :)

If you want to have an try with my Epos M5i, you are welcome.

Not for sale only for your audition with your amp to narrow the choice.:cool: If you need can try with my thiel if the same have power to drive.

Regards

@cor-just when i was finishing reading your jamo concerto thread inclusive of your moon6 link...here you are helping me in my search.......taaaaaanx!lol....yeah wish i was in delhi i could have taken an audition....carrying the 30kg yaqin is quite an task....

@tirthankar-thanks sir...waiting to audition the b&w speakers by either tomorrow or sunday....yeah my room is slightly bigger than what you quoted but since my bed takes the centre place its quote an task placing speakers...hope by saturday and sunday i can audition the speakers you have recommended...is the 602 v2 worth 25k?

@srini-haha as usual our srini sir is here to help and this time am completely letting him guide me...unlike the previous...sir please pm me your number...believe your guidance might help me big time...thanks for the offer too and am sure taking an audition with the humble yaqin.....

Last edited:
I have DIY open baffles (equalizers are now integral part of set up). I am sure that you would love the sound considering your preference for music. The final cost to me was 24.5k (10k for speakers and 14.5k for EQs).
I sincerely feel that you should try OB speakers ( I am not planning to sell, I am suggesting that you build one). But mind you , they are not stand mounts and need significant space.
Mine are 3 feet high, 2 feet wide a about a foot in depth.

@jaudere-thanks sir...but am strictly a non diy guy unfortunately : P...idea sounds fantastic though why not upload an pic and review here?...you into vocal jazz too?

sonus faber concertino? but you got to come to bangalore to check it out. i do come to chennai (my hometown) once in a while. maybe i can get it then if you are interested.

@jaudere-thanks sir...but am strictly a non diy guy unfortunately : P...idea sounds fantastic though why not upload an pic and review here?...you into vocal jazz too?

Hi,

I am not very sure about what classifies as vocal Jazz But I do like Songs where vocals form the major part of the mix, be it Hindi/English/Marathi.

What do Tracy Chapman, Neil Diamond, Eva Cassidy, Trisha Yearwood, Alison Krauss classify as? These are few of the many artistes I love.

You may go through the following links about my set up and the discussion related to it.

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/22503-planning-new-open-baffle-design-all-ahuja-components-4.html

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/27545-equalizer-subwoofer-3.html

Look around for a used pair of Audire IO2s. Much fuller sound that normal single driver speakers. Not bright/thin etc. Should pair well with a tube amp. Only issue is size - they can be placed against a wall but have a large footprint.

I have a used one for sale but shipping them to Chennai isnt really feasible. You should look for a pair locally.

I believe you should pursue Cor's offer. If it sounds anything like or better than the Jamo C607 then its a winner and at 40-45K its a no-brainer.

I did not like the sound of the B&W 685. Probably the amplification was lacking but when tried with Marantz PM6004 it was definitely lacking.

Not going to recommend anything other than be sure to audition thoroughly so you don't repeat the previous mistake.

@jaudere - If you can share more info... I'd be willing to try something myself... cannot hurt at that price.

Edit - @jaudere - I see that you have shared links so thanks!

mickey,

Whatever speakers you buy this time, PLS HEAR THEM WITH YOUR AMP!!!!
Cannot highlight this more than writing it in bold letters.

After all, you do not want to repeat the same mistake twice!

Fellow FM's have given you good options, try to hear as many of them paired with your amp & then decide.

Best Of Luck!

:)

@nandac-thanks....yeah sonus faber sounds great but how much?but anyway do bring it and let me know when you are in chennai.....pm me your number

@jai-audire seems intresting but nowhere in chennai to be found...
@jaudere-hmmm yeah that sounds vocal jazz...lol...about to enter you thread and drool at your setup...
@musicbee-yeah the 685's are quite on my ;list?how much in grey market in hyderabad?any idea?...waiting to check the 602 s2.....yea thinking of going cor's way into jamo...need to fix an appointment with cinebells then......
@denom-sure rocker this time i aint taking chances!.......last time i was just lazy/skeptical to drag along the 33kg fragile tube amp...this time the chinese tags along......

Last edited:
>@nandac-thanks....yeah sonus faber sounds great but how much?

45 k. i will let you know when i come there.

@nandac=pm me your number with details...how old,dents,marks etc...also let me know your view on how it might sound with an tube amp......40k is my max budget....

well.......hope i settle with b&w 602 v2 for that price(25k)!!!!!!any decent stuff in that category other than aviano 2's? some warm sounder in that price? or the offer by nandac seems yummy given i get it within my budget and also i get to audition before buying...

Last edited:
the speaker is a few years old i guess - i bought it from a guy who works in a hifi shop in the usa. i don't see any obvious mark or dent - there is some slight rending in the leather - but that is on the underside and so not visible. i don't have a tube amp to test it out. but it is supposed to work especially well with tube amps. i bought it for like 700 dollars. i got a friend of mine to bring it in. normally it would have cost like $150 as extra baggage. but she took a halt in dubai and so the extra baggage charge doubled. but i am selling it only for the normal baggage charge. if you had a friend in the usa and had him bring it in, exactly how much it would cost you.

mickey,

Whatever speakers you buy this time, PLS HEAR THEM WITH YOUR AMP!!!!
Cannot highlight this more than writing it in bold letters.

After all, you do not want to repeat the same mistake twice!

Fellow FM's have given you good options, try to hear as many of them paired with your amp & then decide.

Best Of Luck!

:)

+1 to good old (pun very much intended:lol::lol::D:D) Denom
for that suggestion.

If I were you, I would either go in for something akin to Jaudere's setup to go with your amp. Try to go in for at least 93-94 db sensitivity speakers for valve amps.

A pair of full range drivers (aka wide-banders)in a well designed transmission line cab designed is a good idea to match your amp. You could try Hari Iyer's offerings for that.

However, do keep in mind that they ought to be FRDs and not a woofer-tweeter combo with a passive XO. The passive XO will not only eat up a lot of wpc power (which is never in abundance with such amps, hence the need for more sensitive drivers) but will still leave you contending with crosstalk etc unless it is very well-designed specifically for those drivers. I say this in wake of the fact that you are heavily (pun intended again) into headbangers' stuff.

FRDs and valve amps usually complement each other as both excel at mid-range performance.

In case you go in or an OB full range single-driver design
(and if your amp has a subwoofer pre-out, which I very much doubt:sad:),
you MUST go in for a subwoofer to augment the LF.
In case not, you could go in for a CDP/DVDP with a sub pre-out (like my Oppo DV-980H) or go in for an active XO module option.

Also, you MUST go in for a driver with a whizzer cone to augment the HF.

Both these factors combined with FRDs will make all that Heavy Metal of yours sound like it ought to.;):)

HTH
Cheerio

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back