Speaker wire recommendation needed

You need to check in your nearby electrical shop for the price and availability. As mentioned by @dev-d , the prices are cheaper in Punjab. Anyway everything is sold in Bangalore at a higher price for no reason.

Shop keepers used to charge Rs 1-2 extra for a cold drink as cooling charges

You need to check in your nearby electrical shop for the price and availability.
Yes, I agree. Couldn't find them in 3 market areas in a 3km radius. So put up the query for availability in markets in near by areas in my original post #64.
You can try your luck at Mahavir electricals bang opposite Modern Stores at pali naka bandra west.
Unfortunately not available at Mahavir electricals :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Call up Azad Electric & Hardware and Prince Electric Corp. and inquire. They are both located at Irla.

Call up Azad Electric & Hardware and Prince Electric Corp. and inquire. They are both located at Irla.
Prince didn't have Polycab and Azad had just 1sqmm @ 35/mtr.
Its also available at Khar Station road area and Santacruz station area East. A few electric shops in Bandra too have it.
Made a trip to Santacruz station area East. Just one shop had 1 sqmm Polycab speaker wire. Was recommended by a shop keeper to check west station area. No luck with Polycab but found this brand Stackfine. Checked 2.5 sqmm. Conductor should have a diameter of 1.78 mm. Got a sample piece home and measured it using a plastic scale. To my eye it looks like the conductor gauge is accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for a electric shop in the Khar-Goregaon belt the sells Polycab or Finolex speaker wire by the meter.

Requirement:
1sqmm - 11 meters
1.5sqmm - 25 meters
2.5sqmm - 13 meters

PS: Had made another trip in Sakinaka area this evening. No luck. Looks like finding some simple pure copper wire of the correct gauge for the required length seems to a really hard task.
Most electrical shops sell "branded" wire only by the roll (usually 90 m). No idea why!!
If you buy a roll of say 1 sqmm (~18AWG), can you use 2x or 3x to reach the desired gauge?
It will take some twisting and won't look pretty but it may serve your use case.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most electrical shops sell "branded" wire only by the roll (usually 90 m). No idea why!!
If you buy a roll of say 1 sqmm (~18AWG), can you use 2x or 3x to reach the desired gauge?
It will take some twisting and won't look pretty but it may serve your use case.

Cheers,
Raghu
I have bought wire for the LCRS speakers. Now looking for speaker wire for the passive sub. I have found 2 core Polycab electric wire 2.5 sqmm @ 68/mtr. But with the insulation it's about 6-7mm diameter.

Also found this brand called Stackfine. 2.5 sqmm @ 70/mtr. If the copper conductor gauge is accurate this would be a perfect solution. And idea if Stackfine is honest with its gauge size ?

I have bought wire for the LCRS speakers. Now looking for speaker wire for the passive sub. I have found 2 core Polycab electric wire 2.5 sqmm @ 68/mtr. But with the insulation it's about 6-7mm diameter.

Also found this brand called Stackfine. 2.5 sqmm @ 70/mtr. If the copper conductor gauge is accurate this would be a perfect solution. And idea if Stackfine is honest with its gauge size ?
No idea. I delved into branded speaker wire only last month :D
Cheers,
Raghu

I easily found it in my neighbourhood stores near MIDC, Andheri East. Got Finolex 2.5 sq. mm. for FCR @ ₹30/m and Polycab 1.5 sq. mm. for surrounds @ ₹20/m.

I hope I didn't get duped, didn't think of verifying the authenticity, just went by the label on the wires. If you want, I can share the location via PM. You can check for yourself.

Gone through the entire thread but couldn't figure out whats actually is best?

I have an issue with my QA 3050 speakers with Denon X2700H. Speaker cable is Profx 14 AWG OFC. highs are really really bad. Don't know wheather I have achieved full burn in or Not. Started using them only from 2 weeks. If it's problem with the speaker cables or issue with the tweeters? Please help!

Gone through the entire thread but couldn't figure out whats actually is best?

I have an issue with my QA 3050 speakers with Denon X2700H. Speaker cable is Profx 14 AWG OFC. highs are really really bad. Don't know wheather I have achieved full burn in or Not. Started using them only from 2 weeks. If it's problem with the speaker cables or issue with the tweeters? Please help!

Whats the rest of your chain ? . if highs are bad the order of impact is more or less the below
1. Source ie the files/CD itself . ( if vinyl then this will not be an issue)
2. Room acoustics ( eg Glass /vitrified tiles etc)
3. Speaker. -> dont see this as an issue with your speaker
4. Amp -> shoud not be an issue with your amp
5. Power/cables etc etc

Until you have done 1-4 please do not go to 5 as 1 and 2 itself impacts more than 50% of the sound
if the issue is 1 then need to use 2 and other tweaks to tame it. cables will not really impact it to this extent its much more subtle as the general consensus is 5% impact

Meaning what exactly?

No speaker cable can be so bad to cause "really really bad" highs. At best, the effect will be subtle. Did you try another amp with the same speakers?
No, I have not tried with another amp. But I can try with marantz 8015 which is with one of my friends. Really really bad in the sense ... Highs are keech....keech...sounding like 60 percent of the times....when playing from Spotify... I tried playing flac files by directly connecting the USB to avr and by connecting it to tv through earc... it's little better then... overall I feel the speakers are harsh...

Whats the rest of your chain ? . if highs are bad the order of impact is more or less the below
1. Source ie the files/CD itself . ( if vinyl then this will not be an issue)
2. Room acoustics ( eg Glass /vitrified tiles etc)
3. Speaker. -> dont see this as an issue with your speaker
4. Amp -> shoud not be an issue with your amp
5. Power/cables etc etc

Until you have done 1-4 please do not go to 5 as 1 and 2 itself impacts more than 50% of the sound
if the issue is 1 then need to use 2 and other tweaks to tame it. cables will not really impact it to this extent its much more subtle as the general consensus is 5% impact
I have everything hard in this room but I have a doubt that when I hear directly from the speaker itself it still sounds keech keech... what to do with the acoustics...

I tried playing flac files by directly connecting the USB to avr and by connecting it to tv through earc... it's little better then... overall I feel the speakers are harsh...

I have everything hard in this room but I have a doubt that when I hear directly from the speaker itself it still sounds keech keech... what to do with the acoustics...
What kind of music are you listening to ? and is it on Mp3 ?

Try to play around with the AVR settings to reduce the treble etc( usually the 2khz to 4khz is what sounds sharp

Okay brother, I'll try
Let us know...last thing to do is spend money on cables at this juncture. as your speakers and amp get better they get more and more accurate , which means whats there is the music will come out better.

Hence if the CD recording or MP3 is of a lower quality that will come out and that can be harsh. these usually get hidden in less resolving systems. It is very possible you are experiencing the same

try playing a good recording of music from spotify ( change the quality of music to very high) and then try plying a newer recording of Arijit or Shrey etc...and see if it is still harsh.

Last edited:
Electrical wire is copper. Finolex/polycab are ofc. Use them and hear the speakers out.
Cheers,
Raghu
I doubt the finilex/polycab are ofc. Have not read that anywhere in their documentation/website anywhere.

Maybe I am wrong….

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back