Speakers/AVR for 35 ft long hall

thegr8anand

Hi guys,

I bought a 65' LG C8 yesterday and looking to upgrade my avr/speakers from what i currently have. I have a a denon 1312 avr with basic 5.1 denon bookshelf speakers i got with the avr. Pics linked.

My hall is 30-35 ft in length with TV at one end and sofa the other, open in height in between although dining table is about 10 ft away from tv but most of my seating is on sofa far back. Surround sound is almost useless because i am unable to hear from the front speakers and center speaker is worse. So i use multi-channel stereo which is fine for me.

Sofa to TV with front and center near TV:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zHVJ_4go0o3eF5yx8Q65v6AzPGYhjKdE

Tv to Sofa with 2 speakers above sofas:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xg6NwUWydNW6j2Qa_CwxG-0juMH6-F8v

Open height hall in the middle:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D4KWxZf5XVZzp7iOTkle9p6JCCNyl_VR

I am not expecting surround sound with this seating but i am hoping to upgrade the avr or speakers so that i get better sound in multi-channel stereo. Maybe i can go with towers in front but not possible at the back. Standard tv watching is fine but seriously need upgrade for movie/music watching now that i got 4k TV and stream from Netflix/Prime.

Looking for your suggestions I want to spend 50k max. Split on both or just one of speakers or avr.

Surround sound is almost useless because i am unable to hear from the front speakers and center speaker is worse

If you are sitting that far away from the front speakers and that too HTIB speakers, then the HTIB speakers may not be able to produce the required SPL at your listening position..

Standard tv watching is fine but seriously need upgrade for movie/music watching now that i got 4k TV and stream from Netflix/Prime.

If you can move your listening position forward, then that would help you.. Atleast near the staircase/ where the dinning table is.. Else, even if you upgrade speakers also, this may remain the same..

If there a possibility, you can swap the the TV, AVR and the front speakers to where the sofa is and move the sofa near the staircase, consider it..

Sadly can't move either. That is why thinking of sticking with multi channel stereo mode only and upgrade the speakers as each speaker will run in stereo mode and it sounds decent thus not expecting surround effects. Maybe add 2 speakers in the middle and run all 6/7 speakers pushing same stereo sound.

Sadly can't move either. That is why thinking of sticking with multi channel stereo mode only and upgrade the speakers as each speaker will run in stereo mode and it sounds decent thus not expecting surround effects. Maybe add 2 speakers in the middle and run all 6/7 speakers pushing same stereo sound.

In that case consider a speaker with highest sensitive speaker in your budget.. Atleast 90 dB (or) more..

There are some Taga Floorstander with 91dB efficient (FS)..

Think 616 SE 5.0 speaker package, dont recollect the model correctly.. You may consider that as it is in your budget.. (or) Taga Harmony Platinum F60 SL / F90 SL.. And C-100 center speaker too.. All 90db + efficient..

Although your seating is way way back from recommended standards, I think the culprit is your HTIB speakers. I have a 65" tv and i stood all the way back in my living room which is about 26 feet long and I had no trouble hearing the dialogue or music. As already recommended, a change of speakers,just the fronts even, may bring about a considerable improvement.

You may consider wall mounting the TV where there is an artwork hanged on the wall above sofa.
You can install existing speakers as front left right and center channel below.
Ideal seating position to watch TV will be where the tea table with flower vase on it.

You may have to buy speaker wall mount to mount the surround speakers on side walls and direct it towards sofa area.
At one side you can install it on pillar at the starting point of stair case
At other side you can install on the pillar between Arch and door.

By looking at your hall and TV and speaker placements, you won't be happy with whatever the upgrades you are going to do. May be, you would feel a slight difference with the updated gears but not the desired output.

Considering your placement, if you want to enjoy the realtime theatre experience, you will have to crank the front stage volume. Or increase the level of surrounds when you sit on the dining table area.

Think twice before you upgrade.

I am not expecting surround sound and simply will stick with multi channel stereo. Since most of sitting is back at the sofa with 2 surrounds above it i am thinking change those two speakers to better ones compatible with denon 1312 and change the position to side walls instead of above me at present. Am. I right in my thinking?

At present as i watch Netflix in Multi channel stereo mode each speaker is throwing the same sound individually in stereo mode.

You have a big hall, you have a entry level receiver. You can't change your HT position. I would say, forget multi channel stereo, get a high sensitive floor standing speaker pair and listen to stereo only. That way, your amp will not be too taxed and you would get a better sound. Two good bookshelf speakers at your seating position also would work but if you are going to be seated at your dinner table then you would find it hard to hear.

You have a big hall, you have a entry level receiver. You can't change your HT position. I would say, forget multi channel stereo, get a high sensitive floor standing speaker pair and listen to stereo only. That way, your amp will not be too taxed and you would get a better sound. Two good bookshelf speakers at your seating position also would work but if you are going to be seated at your dinner table then you would find it hard to hear.

I'd fully agree. Most of us are not living in optimal rooms. But trying to get a sound you like will involve two things , some compromise and expense. If you are so rigid that you want sound at your sitting position probably 30 ft from TV . Then you probably dont have to worry about quality:)

Most folks on this forum will probably shove the dining under the staircase and sit right in front of the TV:)

But if you are not willing to make that singular switch which will be most beneficial from a sound qualit point of view. Then you might as well not spend your hard earned money trying to optimize a hopeless situation:D

Pleass suggest some speakers floor standing and/or bookshelf as you suggest.

You could try Klipsch bookshelves at your budget. Place them at your seating position as front left and front right. They are quite popular with HT enthusiasts. In future, if you so desire, you could slowly build up to a full HT setup. I have heard them and they sound quite nice. Ideally, you should hear them before you buy.

Or

You could also try the speakers suggested by elangoas. They are also popular in this forum.

I am thinking of upgrading my speakers first.

Center: Taga Platinum C-100 (15)
L/R: Taga Platinum S-40/B-40
Surround: Taga Platinum S-40/B-40/S-100

Couple of questions regarding these:

1) SayHifi has cheapest prices for most of the stuff. Any experience buying from there?

2) Is the B-40 on sale on hifimart/sayhifi the same as this version B-40 V3 listed on taga website? And S-40 belong to Platinum V2 series?
https://www.tagaharmony.com/en/products/3602/bookshelves/product/1172/platinum-b-40-v-3

3) Using S40/B40 or S100 for surrounds? Looking at specs S100 simply seems better as it has 4 drivers and cheaper too.

4) Will my current Denon AVR-1312 be capable to run these? its specs:

Power Output
Front L/R:
75 W + 75 W
(8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08 %)
110 W + 110 W
(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

Center:
75 W
110 W

Surround L/R:
75 W + 75 W
110 W + 110 W

5) Are these L/R/SR all wall-mountable?

1) SayHifi has cheapest prices for most of the stuff. Any experience buying from there?

No idea.. Haven't checked them.. The prices there is exclusive of tax.. Other members should have inputs..

Hifimart.com is an other place where you can buy..

2) Is the B-40 on sale on hifimart/sayhifi the same as this version B-40 V3 listed on taga website? And S-40 belong to Platinum V2 series?
https://www.tagaharmony.com/en/products/3602/bookshelves/product/1172/platinum-b-40-v-3

B-40 on sale in hifimart/ sayhifi seem to be v.2..

v.3 seem to have different midbass driver..

3) Using S40/B40 or S100 for surrounds? Looking at specs S100 simply seems better as it has 4 drivers and cheaper too.

All of the speakers that you have mentioned should do.. S100 is a bipole speaker.. Depending on where you would place in the room, you need to choose the speaker..

) Will my current Denon AVR-1312 be capable to run these? its specs:

The present HTIB speakers that you use would be roughly 81 dB - 83dB..

The Taga Harmony Platinum models in considerations are around 89 - 91 dB efficient.. So this itself should be a good improvemnt for you from the specs.. But how much actually will depend after you hook them with AVR..

Power Output
Front L/R:

Think the AVR is rated 75W per channel at 8 Ohms.. So all channels driven it should be roughly 50 W..

5) Are these L/R/SR all wall-mountable?

Check the rear images of the speakers.. Think the C-100 is wall mountable, but not the B-40 / S-40.. You may consider a small stand to mount the speakers..

Seems the C100 on Hifimart is older version? Not the C100(15) from taga website and sayhifi.

I tried to check the final price on sayhifi but it doesn't proceed to next page/payment page at all. Poor stuff, not much confidence now. Has anyone even ordered something from there?

Is it possible i can get better offer if i contact taga harmony seller stores directly?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back