Speakers for Desktop

kratu

I'm on a lookout for speakers to connect my iMac. The new model has downward firing design and very slim form factor. So, what we hear is a reflected sound. The voice is slightly muffled.

My preference is for a well-designed, coherent speaker with wide sound stage. Nothing fancy or room shaking bass needed. In fact, I'd dislike the boomy, muffled lower frequencies, owing to the small cabinets that these come in. The music I'd listen to are mood music, instrumental. Voice has to be crystal clear and natural.

For a deserving speaker, I can spend unto 50k. I'd want to move away from bluetooth or wireless (so that I don't have to throw it out as the battery ages).

One of the things I'm considering are Sonos-powered speakers from IKEA, called Enby. Another option is Apple's HomePod or HomePod mini (in stereo configuration). I hear good things about Edifier brand of speakers.

I'm on a lookout for speakers to connect my iMac. The new model has downward firing design and very slim form factor. So, what we hear is a reflected sound. The voice is slightly muffled.

My preference is for a well-designed, coherent speaker with wide sound stage. Nothing fancy or room shaking bass needed. In fact, I'd dislike the boomy, muffled lower frequencies, owing to the small cabinets that these come in. The music I'd listen to are mood music, instrumental. Voice has to be crystal clear and natural.

For a deserving speaker, I can spend unto 50k. I'd want to move away from bluetooth or wireless (so that I don't have to throw it out as the battery ages).

One of the things I'm considering are Sonos-powered speakers from IKEA, called Enby. Another option is Apple's HomePod or HomePod mini (in stereo configuration). I hear good things about Edifier brand of speakers.
A pair of HomePod Minis would be dynamite. They are perfect computer/desktop speakers. The tone, clarity and soundstage is fantastic, and can dig adequately deep. I totally love mine, and serves my purpose for Youtube and background music. They get pretty loud too, and can easily fill a medium sized room.

Another option to consider would be a Q Acoustics M20 HD.

Last edited:
For a budget of 50k, I'd probably choose something like an integrated amp (Marantz pm5005) and a pair of bookshelves in the 25-30k range.

I would suggest - (in order of preference)
QA M20
Audioengine A2+
Apple HomePod/mini

If you feel like splurging a bit -
Genelec G1 (if not G2)
KEF LSX

any preowned homepod (the bigger ones ) as these are not available for sale anymore, two of them makes a well-round stereo setup. I've just one and when it plays someone thinks that my polks playing the music :)

I am surprised that on an av forum so many recommendations for a small speaker instead of a proper bookshelf. Genuinely curious how people think a homepod can beat bookshelf speakers. It is like recommending people bose or beat products.

My recommendation would be pickup a q acoustics 3030i or 3020i or mission mk2 ...you can also look at kef, i don't have experience with them but I am sure if you value looks more, they can still beat a pair homepod anyday

Dont know if you have an integrated amp/dac or not but the above paired with a 15k arylic or allo all-in-one will sound 5x better than the homepods, I can bet my house on it

Last edited:
I am surprised that on an av forum so many recommendations for a small speaker instead of a proper bookshelf. Genuinely curious how people think a homepod can beat bookshelf speakers. It is like recommending people bose or beat products.

My recommendation would be pickup a q acoustics 3030i or 3020i or mission mk2 ...you can also look at kef, i don't have experience with them but I am sure if you value looks more, they can still beat a pair homepod anyday

Dont know if you have an integrated amp/dac or not but the above paired with a 15k arylic or allo all-in-one will sound 5x better than the homepods, I can bet my house on it
Use case dependent suggestions - the post is in active speakers :).

Also seems like the requirement is of a small hassle free setup - like the Ikea eneby. Keeping that in mind - the suggestions have been provided.

I absolutely stand by your mission to be the Lord, Saviour, and Guardian of the AV galaxy. Even when a recommendation is solicited for an active speaker, we are duty-bound to put our foot down and recommend a passive speaker. Sometimes I too am in amazement of the choices people make. Active Speaker it seems, chal hut OP!

My go to recommendation for desktop speakers are the Presonus E4.5. Quite a bit lower than your budget but very good sound quality. Integrate well in a desktop environment and quite reliable (mine have been going for 7 years).

Thanks for your suggestions so far. I'll try to explore those mentioned here. If possible audition them.

@Dwaipayan @msankadi As indicated, the discussion is centred on Active speakers. And this is for a simpler setup to be used for Desktop.

My go to recommendation for desktop speakers are the Presonus E4.5. Quite a bit lower than your budget but very good sound quality. Integrate well in a desktop environment and quite reliable (mine have been going for 7 years).
Thanks @jai1611 This sounds interesting. I like the idea of having a near-field studio monitors. They are made for sound recording engineers and musicians. So, the sound should be devoid of artificial bass bloat or sibilant highs. I'll explore more of this kind.

I'm using a pair of Mackie MR624 with the Topping E50 for quite a while now and enjoying them every day.
One thing about studio monitors is that they are accurate and the user usually doesn't have to worry about amp pairing, synergy and other rabbit-hole related worries. Get a decent source and you're good to go.

I see that Q Acoustics M20 is recommended often. It looks interesting. From the budget point-of-view, these are around 50-60k while a Presonus 3.5 is around 12k. There should be a really strong reason to go for the Q M20.

I see that Q Acoustics M20 is recommended often. It looks interesting. From the budget point-of-view, these are around 50-60k while a Presonus 3.5 is around 12k. There should be a really strong reason to go for the Q M20.
Click on the banner of HiFiMart for QA M20 HD, and you can have a 20k discount on these. Effective price would be 40k.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back