Spool Player & Tapes

jayants

Hi,

Was going through all those interesting posts by reuben and Kuruvilla about reel to reel and tapes.

Am wondering whether the Spool players are still available and if its available also how do we source blank tapes or original spool tapes which contains the original soundtrack recordings?

Can you guys please elaborate on this?

Yes, reel to reel decks or open reel decks, as they are commonly called are available indeed, but you'll have to be extremely patient and extremely lucky to find one in good condition. These are usually left stored away in lofts, under beds or in store rooms under a pile of rubbish. I have come across over a dozen of decks over a 2 year period during which I was actively searching. But the condition was generally very poor. I also was very particular not to indulge in belt driven reel to reel decks as these tend to have very complex mechanisms. Finally my wait for a reel deck paid off when a lovely forum member sourced a relatively brand new Akai GX630D direct drive deck for me in non-working but untouched condition. I bought it blindly even though I was not sure if it would work. As it turned out, it was in untouched condition and needed some minor TLC to get started which Mr. Kuruvila helped me achieve. Its a classic Akai deck, one of the more famous and well received models. Can't wait to hear it play for the first time.

Regarding tapes, I got the deck with a set of 10 tapes. You cannot get tapes for these decks unless you buy from abroad. They are expensive and heavy so importing will incurr significant shipping costs.

Before doing anything with reel to reel, you'd need to read up a lot and get a good understanding of the different types of decks (in relation to tracks), different tape speeds, spool sizes, tape lengths, etc. Also reel to reel decks are usually huge and occupy space. Also operating them is not an easy process like using cassette tapes.

Having said all this, I love tape and cassette decks, and I love vinyl. These interest me, whatever be the case, hence I own these.

Yes, reel to reel decks or open reel decks, as they are commonly called are available indeed, but you'll have to be extremely patient and extremely lucky to find one in good condition. These are usually left stored away in lofts, under beds or in store rooms under a pile of rubbish. I have come across over a dozen of decks over a 2 year period during which I was actively searching. But the condition was generally very poor. I also was very particular not to indulge in belt driven reel to reel decks as these tend to have very complex mechanisms. Finally my wait for a reel deck paid off when a lovely forum member sourced a relatively brand new Akai GX630D direct drive deck for me in non-working but untouched condition. I bought it blindly even though I was not sure if it would work. As it turned out, it was in untouched condition and needed some minor TLC to get started which Mr. Kuruvila helped me achieve. Its a classic Akai deck, one of the more famous and well received models. Can't wait to hear it play for the first time.

Regarding tapes, I got the deck with a set of 10 tapes. You cannot get tapes for these decks unless you buy from abroad. They are expensive and heavy so importing will incurr significant shipping costs.

Before doing anything with reel to reel, you'd need to read up a lot and get a good understanding of the different types of decks (in relation to tracks), different tape speeds, spool sizes, tape lengths, etc. Also reel to reel decks are usually huge and occupy space. Also operating them is not an easy process like using cassette tapes.

Having said all this, I love tape and cassette decks, and I love vinyl. These interest me, whatever be the case, hence I own these.

Wonderful!!!

Thanks a lot.

reuben, other than speed accuracy, what are the transmission benefits and what are the sonic benefits of direct drive over belt drive in r2r decks? Why direct drive decks are scarce? OR Why belt drive decks are largely manufactured?.
Cheers,
sunder.

reuben, other than speed accuracy, what are the transmission benefits and what are the sonic benefits of direct drive over belt drive in r2r decks? Why direct drive decks are scarce? OR Why belt drive decks are largely manufactured?.
Cheers,
sunder.

As per my understanding, the sonic difference is not a point of consideration, unlike the difference between direct drive and belt drive turntables. Direct drive philosophy was normally found in higher end reel decks, especially those coming out in the mid to late 1970s and early 1980s. Direct drive motors and usually larger, more robust and are generally electronically controlled. Decks with direct drive are less prone to speed variance. Also, one would be free from the hassles of belt changes. From experience, I've found direct drives to be quieter than the belt drive decks. However, this is an already debated topic and hence sharing a couple of URLs that would throw some light on the subject:

Reel-to-Reel Tape Recorder Buying Guide | eBay

Belt Drive vs. Direct Drive...Which Is Better? - Tapeheads Forums

I have a Revox A77 but not in perfect working condition and many sealed maxell and ampex spool tapes...........

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back