Spotify premium Account

Quality is good I am using it with my volumio on usbridge. You can also try 1 day prepaid to test.

Spotify show all the devices which can play Spotify connect. You need to choose the devices as per your requirement. Spotify on AVR sounds better than on Phone or Laptop. Always use in build Spotify app in AVR for better sound quality as it uses AVR DAC, Preamplifier stage and Power amplifier. When I connect Spotify, I get three options
1. Laptop
2. Denon AVR
3. Mobile phone
Mostly I use Denon AVR for better sound quality .

Spotify (and all other streaming services for that matter) are priced at literally a song!
They are less than a fifth of what a single audio CD used to cost a decade age!!
Don't want to sound mean but if you can buy a Marantz receiver, surely you can pay 120/- for the subscription?

Spotify (and all other streaming services for that matter) are priced at literally a song!
They are less than a fifth of what a single audio CD used to cost a decade age!!
Don't want to sound mean but if you can buy a Marantz receiver, surely you can pay 120/- for the subscription?
Totally agree with you. But question is which one is the best for our Indian conditions? Spotify, Saavn, or Gaana in terms of streaming quality and wide range of collection in genre and languages.

Totally agree with you. But question is which one is the best for our Indian conditions? Spotify, Saavn, or Gaana in terms of streaming quality and wide range of collection in genre and languages.
Gaana, Apple Music and google play music has a very good Indian catalog. It might vary with region. Google play has best of both.

Yes, but the money paid for Marantz, you get something rock solid and hold for a long time. 120 Rs Streaming is just unreliable air. Yeah that is pretty cheap though, so shouldn't really matter.

I think YouTube Music has the best collection of Indian genres especially regional and live performances though the quality is sub par at times.

Depends on what you are looking for - everyone has different use cases and you will have to try before you decide
I currently use Apple Music, Spotify, Prime Music and YT (paid subscriptions) + Saavn (Free)

1. Best collection coupled with great SQ - Apple Music
  2. Best curated playlists and learning algorithm - Spotify (bonus marks for ability to stream across platforms)
  3. YT is purely for keeping ads out - don't like their playlist/ offered selection
  4. Prime - don't think they are focusing on music for India, asking prime to play hindi hits still brings up songs from 2014/2015 - but it is practically free anyway and I do need it for Alexa
  5. Saavn - Don't like it

Spotify (Premium) clearly has the best sound quality among the lossy streaming services (yes Spotify 320 is better than Apple 256... do A/B tests). Spotify Connect (native integration) takes it a notch (or two) higher. Apple is missing out the audiophile streaming devices market as they don’t have native integration with any device. Also Spotify is fast building their Indian content. New albums (even regional ones) appear instantly as they get launched, just like on Apple Music. I can see a market consolidation happening and the Indian streaming services getting bought over or closed down in a couple of years. The only ones that could survive are ones focused on niches (like Saregama Classical).

By the way, does the Marantz receiver support Internet radio, natively? In that case try exploring the world of internet radio channels too - it’s fascinating. This is a space where we could have some quality Indian channels - what exists now is mostly poor 64 Kbps. On the other hand the word has moved on to 256 and 320 kbps standards for Internet radio and FLAC channels are gaining currency too.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back