Spotted-Samsung's B750 and LG's LH90

LH90- 47" was quoted at 83k at alpha without freebies but some posts in the forum have quoted 75k. Better to negotiate and buy from a local dealer then these vijays, cromas, e-zones, etc .

Went to Chroma again today. (It is very near my workplace) The following additional settings wrt settings available on CNET under the Expert Mode are missing.
Method
Pattern
IRE
Luminance
The CNET review says

Do you think it is worth to buy this TV without these settings? This TV has good connectivity options unlike samsung. Price is very competitive. I was quoted 79000 for 47 inches by Adhiswar this is without bargaining. Somebody mentioned that this is avaliable for 75000 Rs.

D'you guys think this is a firmware issue? If so, would flashing with a US firmware unlock these settings?

After weeks of searching for a 42 inch TV, finally booked the LG LH90 at Ezone (Marathahalli). Price: 68K,no freebies, but got a digital photo frame in their "slab offer".

During my search, I had at times considered, Samsung 650/750/LED LCDs, Sony V and W series and of course, LG Jazz/Scarlet/LED. What I found is that in the same price range none of the TVs significantly out-peform others. Each has its own pros and cons.

Sony V/W: Skin tones looked natural, whites were good and overall PQ was very good. In V series, the lack of 100Hz was clearly visible in news channels with scrolling text. I found W series to be too expensive for what it offers

Samsung: I think Samsung has done a really stupid thing by over promoting their LCD/LED against their own Series 6/7 LCDs. I was really inclined towards 750 LCD, but they are not available. The 650 was quoted in range of 70K+. I could not even audition samsung Series 6/7 LCDs as they are not displayed in most stores. The LCD/LED PQ looked good, for a Samsung, they are expensive.

Panasonic Plasmas PV8/C10: Colours looks rich and PQ was very good for SD content too. Very attractive prices. Finally dropped them because of power consumption and retention issues (I game a lot on PS3).

LG LH90 : Good compromise and attractive price. Very good in power consumption (just 150W or so). Colours looked rich and image is bright. TruMotion made a good difference in scrolling text and fast moving scenes.
Of course, different from US model with missing THX and some calibration options. Will post a full review when I can.

Thanks

LG LH90 : Good compromise and attractive price. Very good in power consumption (just 150W or so). Colours looked rich and image is bright. TruMotion made a good difference in scrolling text and fast moving scenes.
Of course, different from US model with missing THX and some calibration options. Will post a full review when I can.

Thanks

Sudindra,

Can you confirm whether it has local dimming feature?
Also read some where that it uses a white LED (instead of RGB LED in US version) - not sure how important it is. Are you aware of this too?

Do you know EZONE pricing for 47 inch one?

After weeks of searching for a 42 inch TV, finally booked the LG LH90 at Ezone (Marathahalli). Price: 68K,no freebies, but got a digital photo frame in their "slab offer".

During my search, I had at times considered, Samsung 650/750/LED LCDs, Sony V and W series and of course, LG Jazz/Scarlet/LED. What I found is that in the same price range none of the TVs significantly out-peform others. Each has its own pros and cons.

Sony V/W: Skin tones looked natural, whites were good and overall PQ was very good. In V series, the lack of 100Hz was clearly visible in news channels with scrolling text. I found W series to be too expensive for what it offers

Samsung: I think Samsung has done a really stupid thing by over promoting their LCD/LED against their own Series 6/7 LCDs. I was really inclined towards 750 LCD, but they are not available. The 650 was quoted in range of 70K+. I could not even audition samsung Series 6/7 LCDs as they are not displayed in most stores. The LCD/LED PQ looked good, for a Samsung, they are expensive.

Panasonic Plasmas PV8/C10: Colours looks rich and PQ was very good for SD content too. Very attractive prices. Finally dropped them because of power consumption and retention issues (I game a lot on PS3).

Thanks

Congratulations! Great LED/LCD at a nice price. Looks like you did good research and comparision with SONYs & SAMSUNGs.

One question though, on all websites, the general talk is that local dimming LEDs are more expensive then LCDs. Since this is not a edge lit LED like the SAMSUNGs, is it, "local dimming". If it is, how can LG afford to sell it at this price in India? Just curious.

Yes it has the local dimming feature and there is an option to turn it off if desired.

@danccc

Thank you for the response.

Do you own an LH90?
Could you share your experience with it? How is the performance with HD content - say blue rays.

I am big time confused between 47LH90 and 50PQ70 and is looking for more inputs.

Jetak_k,
Yes, it uses local dimming feature.

Sorry, unable to confirm whether it uses white LED. The sales man obviously did not know. Anybody else can confirm this ? Will check the manual text once I get delivery.

I think 47 inch can be bargained for 75K (with free Mp4 player)

Sudindra,

Can you confirm whether it has local dimming feature?
Also read some where that it uses a white LED (instead of RGB LED in US version) - not sure how important it is. Are you aware of this too?

Do you know EZONE pricing for 47 inch one?

Congratulations! Great LED/LCD at a nice price. Looks like you did good research and comparision with SONYs & SAMSUNGs.
Thanks

One question though, on all websites, the general talk is that local dimming LEDs are more expensive then LCDs. Since this is not a edge lit LED like the SAMSUNGs, is it, "local dimming". If it is, how can LG afford to sell it at this price in India? Just curious.
Good question. I dont know the answer. But I just hope that there are no hidden surprises in the LG TV.

Jetak_k,
Yes, it uses local dimming feature.

Sorry, unable to confirm whether it uses white LED. The sales man obviously did not know. Anybody else can confirm this ? Will check the manual text once I get delivery.

Thank you for the information.

You would have demoed some HD content at the showroom, I guess. How does it look?

When are you getting this delivered? I would love to get some feedback on your experience with PS3 on this TV, before I take the plunge.

@danccc

Do you own an LH90?
Could you share your experience with it? How is the performance with HD content - say blue rays.
QUOTE]

I do own the LH90, Got it on Saturday at a price I would be embarrassed of disclosing coz I liked it so much that I wanted it "now".

Have not tried the HD content as I do not own a blue ray player as yet, but the Tata sky rocks on it, which was my primary reason for this choice.

With so many tweaks and picture settings available, Im now looking for help to setup the picture properly and maybe a Home Theatre setup DVD or some similar download.

TV is getting delivered tomorrow (Saturday).

When I demoed the LH90, the HD content looked really good, bright, rich and deep. Though I have to admit that the dark scenes looked slightly better on Sony, but marginal difference, that too if you look in close range.

I will post a detailed feedback after I am able to really use it at home, possibly early next week.

Thank you for the information.

You would have demoed some HD content at the showroom, I guess. How does it look?

When are you getting this delivered? I would love to get some feedback on your experience with PS3 on this TV, before I take the plunge.

lg 42" panels are the cheapest in terms of price compared to other brand and tech.

@jetak_k
the LG doesn't use RGB led dimming,rather it uses the white LED,due to the cost.the only tv sold in india that has RGB led is the sony x450.

[QUOTE

@jetak_k
the LG doesn't use RGB led dimming,rather it uses the white LED,due to the cost.the only tv sold in india that has RGB led is the sony x450.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for confirming that.

Still some confusion - the US version for which CNET review was available had RGB LED? If so, the review may not be valid for the version that we get here, right?

Also, is this particular feature important in terms for picture quality?

@sudindra
When the LG tech comes to install the TV in your place, can you please ask him if there is anyway we could enable the options as available in the US. Can you also ask him how do we get into the service menu. I heard there more calibration controls available in the service menu.

The US forums mention that this TV uses RGB LEDs, but i heard from an LG representative that the TV in india uses white LEDs. I cannot confirm the same though.

Thanks for confirming that.

Still some confusion - the US version for which CNET review was available had RGB LED? If so, the review may not be valid for the version that we get here, right?

Also, is this particular feature important in terms for picture quality?

well CNET doesn't say it uses RGB led.
well the RGB LED is better it gives u extra control of the colors,since it can vary the backlight TINT or even light up with the many shades available in the RGB spectrum.

34t281e.png

above is a example of sharp XS1(discontinued) that has RGB led with ability to show quite a lot of shades,not available in india.

11458-lglh90backlight.jpg

above is LG local dimming backlight.

Last edited:
I'm myself considering this TV considering it's a catch for the price. However, right now very confused b/w 40V550/40S550 and LH90..... but I guess I am leaning more on LH90.

I'm myself considering this TV considering it's a catch for the price. However, right now very confused b/w 40V550/40S550 and LH90..... but I guess I am leaning more on LH90.

Same here, except, add the SONY 40W550 & Samsung UA40B6000 to the list. So more confused!

Do let us know your findings and what you decide on and why.

lg 42" panels are the cheapest in terms of price compared to other brand and tech.

@jetak_k
the LG doesn't use RGB led dimming,rather it uses the white LED,due to the cost.the only tv sold in india that has RGB led is the sony x450.

OK. So inference is that RGB LED is above White LED in terms of PQ. The LH90 uses white LEDs and hence the price is not that high?

How would you rate the SAMSUNG edge-lit (white??) LEDs versus the LG LH90 back-lit white LEDs? Which would produce better picture (SD content) and more VFM in the current models available in India?

Or would the main-stream SONY 40V550 be the best bet currently? I know this may be all over the place.....40V550 to UA40B6000 to LG LH90.....but really confused, hence seeking discussion & guidance.

OK. So inference is that RGB LED is above White LED in terms of PQ. The LH90 uses white LEDs and hence the price is not that high?

How would you rate the SAMSUNG edge-lit (white??) LEDs versus the LG LH90 back-lit white LEDs? Which would produce better picture (SD content) and more VFM in the current models available in India?

Or would the main-stream SONY 40V550 be the best bet currently? I know this may be all over the place.....40V550 to UA40B6000 to LG LH90.....but really confused, hence seeking discussion & guidance.

well yes and no.since RGB backlighting like the one implemented in sharp needs really sophisticated processing and algorithm and LEDs.since when u change the color of the backlight in order to produce the same fine details has a white color backlight it has to be really bright.so it comes down to how good they have implemented it.
in future i am sure u will see this in some cheap chinese brands,which may be worst then 2 year old normal lcd from good tier 1 brands.

the samsung has a VA based panel which natively shows better blacks then IPS based lg,although i haven't seen the LH90.the SPVA/AMVA based lcds will still show lower blacks then the LH90.only places where the LH90 "may" show deeper blacks is like in areas where there is lots of blacks,like the black bars in wide screen movies.u can also notice some light from neighboring LED modules still creeping into the dimmed zones,due to the diffuser .u can spot this even in the sony X450A.but X450 has a VA based RGB dimming so it again natively has better contrast,without the aid of dimming.

in the conventional backlight lg lcds, SD don't look as detailed as the samsung or sony.if the lg LH90 does indeed have the same upscaler that u find in other lgs,then the SD content may not be as good as the sammy/sony.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back