Spotted-Samsung's B750 and LG's LH90

@danccc

Do you own an LH90?
Could you share your experience with it? How is the performance with HD content - say blue rays.
QUOTE]

I do own the LH90, Got it on Saturday at a price I would be embarrassed of disclosing coz I liked it so much that I wanted it "now".

Have not tried the HD content as I do not own a blue ray player as yet, but the Tata sky rocks on it, which was my primary reason for this choice.

With so many tweaks and picture settings available, Im now looking for help to setup the picture properly and maybe a Home Theatre setup DVD or some similar download.

COngratulations "dancc" on your purchase...:clapping:

btw...can you post some more information abt ..
"With so many tweaks and picture settings available"

what all color management settings or calibrations are available on INDIAN version of LH90...

As you are one of the few lucky persons to own this TV...It would be grt to have first hand info on the calibrations available/missing in LH90....

thankss....

well yes and no.since RGB backlighting like the one implemented in sharp needs really sophisticated processing and algorithm and LEDs.since when u change the color of the backlight in order to produce the same fine details has a white color backlight it has to be really bright.so it comes down to how good they have implemented it.
in future i am sure u will see this in some cheap chinese brands,which may be worst then 2 year old normal lcd from good tier 1 brands.

the samsung has a VA based panel which natively shows better blacks then IPS based lg,although i haven't seen the LH90.the SPVA/AMVA based lcds will still show lower blacks then the LH90.only places where the LH90 "may" show deeper blacks is like in areas where there is lots of blacks,like the black bars in wide screen movies.u can also notice some light from neighboring LED modules still creeping into the dimmed zones,due to the diffuser .u can spot this even in the sony X450A.but X450 has a VA based RGB dimming so it again natively has better contrast,without the aid of dimming.

in the conventional backlight lg lcds, SD don't look as detailed as the samsung or sony.if the lg LH90 does indeed have the same upscaler that u find in other lgs,then the SD content may not be as good as the sammy/sony.

Thanks for the detailed post. How would one know if LG LED/LCD has the same upscaler as LG LCDs? By just looking and 'judging' in the showroom?

In terms of backlight LED (LH90), edge-lit LED (UAxxB6000) & backlight CCFL (V550), which is currently a better bet in terms of 'future-proof'? Still seeking clarification as no mention of the V550 & xxB6000 comparison with LH90.

The 40W550 is at 90K, which is a major pricing drawback. Hence now concentrating on the above 3 plus maybe 40B650 (but that is not available). Also trying to determine, if it has to be 40V550, do not want to later feel, that the LH90 or xxB6000 should have been the way to go.

Thanks for the detailed post. How would one know if LG LED/LCD has the same upscaler as LG LCDs? By just looking and 'judging' in the showroom?

In terms of backlight LED (LH90), edge-lit LED (UAxxB6000) & backlight CCFL (V550), which is currently a better bet in terms of 'future-proof'? Still seeking clarification as no mention of the V550 & xxB6000 comparison with LH90.

The 40W550 is at 90K, which is a major pricing drawback. Hence now concentrating on the above 3 plus maybe 40B650 (but that is not available). Also trying to determine, if it has to be 40V550, do not want to later feel, that the LH90 or xxB6000 should have been the way to go.

I think you should read Official LG xxLH90 Owners' and "Interested Parties'" Thread - Page 7 - HIGHDEFJUNKIES FORUM. This guy David has written a very detailed and good review comparing LH90 against other LED backlits. I am really impressed by this TV based on reviews. CNET review gives it a big thumbs up. Today I will go to Reliance Digital store in gurgaon and if this is as promised in the reviews, I will get it this weekend.

I don't wanna cross 70K as I am not gonna watch it, it's for my parents and they are technologically challenged noobs :) I was considering samsung earlier but adder suggests panel is a lottery there and I am not very lucky :(

Sony KLV 40V550 was what I decided to buy finally but then I read LH90's reviews on CNET. I know it's not fair to compare the two TV's in diff. genres but I am looking at what I can get for the same price.

BTW can anyone confirm TataSky+ performance on this? I doubt my parents are gonna download a lot HD content burn it and watch it :) also what is the best price people have bought it for? so that I may bargain better.

I think you should read Official LG xxLH90 Owners' and "Interested Parties'" Thread - Page 7 - HIGHDEFJUNKIES FORUM.
BTW can anyone confirm TataSky+ performance on this? I doubt my parents are gonna download a lot HD content burn it and watch it :) also what is the best price people have bought it for? so that I may bargain better.

Im using this with Tata Sky + and the performance is very good. In fact in whatever comparison I could do, I found this better than all others.

Reliance Digital will not connect Tata Sky, but In case you want to compare, please visit the LG showroom at the mall near Iffco Chowk (Where they have the Khaja Chowk, Lodhi sports, Lifestyle furniture showrooms etc.), There you will have LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic shops almost next to each other and all of them would connect Tata Sky if you insist. Then once you have decided, buy from Reliance Digital.

well by looking closely off course.u can use DVD that has digital videos like animation based movies like monsters and incredibles etc,u should look at scenes when they show complex shapes,like hair etc.
in movies its a harder to see especially in film based content.
u can also use test DVD/blu ray like the ones HQV.
lastly u need good eyes,some here can't differentiate b/w HD and FHD,so for people like them i doubt they can spot any.
well of the tvs u have mentioned i would either pick the B650 or W550A.no comment on LH90,since i haven't seen it.
there is no such thing as future proof.these tvs will perhaps be obsolete as early as next year,with arrival of new UV2A based sharp and sony lcd or (by samsung blue phase lcd if they manage to launch).which in turn will become obsolete when OLED tvs are launched.
a tv that has natively higher contrast and black levels,wins rather then with LED dimming,which can only boost the dynamic contrast.

I think you should read Official LG xxLH90 Owners' and "Interested Parties'" Thread - Page 7 - HIGHDEFJUNKIES FORUM. This guy David has written a very detailed and good review comparing LH90 against other LED backlits. I am really impressed by this TV based on reviews. CNET review gives it a big thumbs up. Today I will go to Reliance Digital store in gurgaon and if this is as promised in the reviews, I will get it this weekend.

This is the point where I am confused.
Since a number of features which are praised by CNET is missing in Indian version, not sure whether we should consider this review as well as comments in highdefjunkies.

Thanks. I can read it for sure. However, like many on this forum say, on the Indian version of the LH90, many features are missing. So if you have been impressed by these features, once you visit Reliance Digital, do let us know if you are still impressed by the same, having seen that not all features described in the above review are incorporated for the LH90 in the Indian market.

I don't wanna cross 70K as I am not gonna watch it, it's for my parents and they are technologically challenged noobs :) I was considering samsung earlier but adder suggests panel is a lottery there and I am not very lucky :(

Sony KLV 40V550 was what I decided to buy finally but then I read LH90's reviews on CNET. I know it's not fair to compare the two TV's in diff. genres but I am looking at what I can get for the same price.

Pretty much the same confusion between 40V550 and some other LCDs, one of which includes the LH90. Would be really interested in knowing your findings. Do be mindful that the CNET reviews talk about features that may not be available for the Indian market. In that case, do give the 40V550 a serious thought / look once again while you are at Reliance Digital. Even after this, if the LH90 still impresses you, we'd like to know in detail why.

well by looking closely off course.u can use DVD that has digital videos like animation based movies like monsters and incredibles etc,u should look at scenes when they show complex shapes,like hair etc.
in movies its a harder to see especially in film based content.
u can also use test DVD/blu ray like the ones HQV.
lastly u need good eyes,some here can't differentiate b/w HD and FHD,so for people like them i doubt they can spot any.
well of the tvs u have mentioned i would either pick the B650 or W550A.no comment on LH90,since i haven't seen it.
there is no such thing as future proof.these tvs will perhaps be obsolete as early as next year,with arrival of new UV2A based sharp and sony lcd or (by samsung blue phase lcd if they manage to launch).which in turn will become obsolete when OLED tvs are launched.
a tv that has natively higher contrast and black levels,wins rather then with LED dimming,which can only boost the dynamic contrast.

Makes sense. May be I will carry the DVD for Bolt or Madagascar etc. to check it out.

No doubt the B650 & W550A are very good choices. But for one, the B650 is unavailable. Then again some folks have bought it for 72K. Croma & Hypercity do not have it but are quoting 80K if and when available. That is a huge price fluctuation. This is where I like the SONY strategy....one price....no matter where you buy it from. That said, W550A is a bit over the budget. Moreover for that price they do not even provide DLNA or DivX capable USB or a Ethernet port like the B650. That's where the LH90 waves and says, "guys do take a look at me, will give you so much for around 70K, with back-light LED". Certainly tempts one to at least look and consider.

So we take it that you have not mentioned the 40V550 along with the B650 & W550 is because, "..a tv that has natively higher contrast and black levels,wins ...." and the V has lesser native contrast as comapred to the B650 & W550? Right?

If only the V had the 100Hz motion flow (like the US models - 5500) it would have been so cool and an easier decision to make. Just like many, 70K is what I want to budget with a bit +- but 90K for W550 is way too high currently.

awwww crap!! you guys suck :) Just when I had almost made up my mind you had to tell me that LH90 Indian version misses out on several features which CNET praises. Ignorance is such a bliss sometimes. Now I'm in a dilemma again.

btw guys could you tell me what features it misses out on or point me to some relevant link?

Also, Thank You Adder :clapping: I have been reading this forum to gain info for past few days and your detailed posts have been of great help.

which in turn will become obsolete when OLED tvs are launched.

As for OLED's, I think they are gonna take more time than everybody thinks. I worked at SAMTEL-IITK (first to produce OLED's in India) and have worked on equivalent technologies as a research assistant. Also, happened to have attended ASID conference in Delhi. Sony gave it's presentation about Bravia and it's OLEDS. From what I saw during my work and in that presentation unless some serious breakthroughs occur it's gonna be a long time before quality large screen OLED TV's make themselves into market. Good news is that once technology does mature they are gonna be way too cheap than anything we have today.

Makes sense. May be I will carry the DVD for Bolt or Madagascar etc. to check it out.

No doubt the B650 & W550A are very good choices. But for one, the B650 is unavailable. Then again some folks have bought it for 72K. Croma & Hypercity do not have it but are quoting 80K if and when available. That is a huge price fluctuation. This is where I like the SONY strategy....one price....no matter where you buy it from. That said, W550A is a bit over the budget. Moreover for that price they do not even provide DLNA or DivX capable USB or a Ethernet port like the B650. That's where the LH90 waves and says, "guys do take a look at me, will give you so much for around 70K, with back-light LED". Certainly tempts one to at least look and consider.

So we take it that you have not mentioned the 40V550 along with the B650 & W550 is because, "..a tv that has natively higher contrast and black levels,wins ...." and the V has lesser native contrast as comapred to the B650 & W550? Right?

If only the V had the 100Hz motion flow (like the US models - 5500) it would have been so cool and an easier decision to make. Just like many, 70K is what I want to budget with a bit +- but 90K for W550 is way too high currently.
well not all animated ones are best to test,for eg if u test it with the movie simpsons,it will look as good or the same as HD:lol:.even a cheap brand would perform well with simpsons.;)
the US V series has the older BE2,compared to our V550A,but it lacks the 100hz.

As for OLED's, I think they are gonna take more time than everybody thinks. I worked at SAMTEL-IITK (first to produce OLED's in India) and have worked on equivalent technologies as a research assistant. Also, happened to have attended ASID conference in Delhi. Sony gave it's presentation about Bravia and it's OLEDS. From what I saw during my work and in that presentation unless some serious breakthroughs occur it's gonna be a long time before quality large screen OLED TV's make themselves into market. Good news is that once technology does mature they are gonna be way too cheap than anything we have today.

well yes OLED still has quite a long way to go,importantly still has to improve the panel life,which is yet to match lcds & plasmas panel life.but my guess is by 2012 we would see 40" sized OLEDs.but price will be another story,by then current lcds tech would have improved quite a bit.

awwww crap!! you guys suck :) Just when I had almost made up my mind you had to tell me that LH90 Indian version misses out on several features which CNET praises. Ignorance is such a bliss sometimes. Now I'm in a dilemma again.

Welcome to the club :)

btw guys could you tell me what features it misses out on or point me to some relevant link?

Most of these are mentioned in this thread itself.

Pretty much the same confusion between 40V550 and some other LCDs, one of which includes the LH90. Would be really interested in knowing your findings. Do be mindful that the CNET reviews talk about features that may not be available for the Indian market. In that case, do give the 40V550 a serious thought / look once again while you are at Reliance Digital. Even after this, if the LH90 still impresses you, we'd like to know in detail why.

I went to Relaince Digital and Jumbo Electronics @ Ambience Mall, gurgaon and had a chance to look at several products there.

@Reliance: I decided not to look at brands just stood at an optimum distance and walked across their entire wall (where all 40 inchers were on display) and decided to mark TV's whose picture quality impressed me and then look at brand and model. Twice I did that and came up with Sony's KLV40V550/40S550. W series was not there in 40" size but larger and was great.

Then I asked for LG-LH90QR, sales guy told me that they had a 47" model of that which sold out a couple of days back :(

Initially, they were playing TataSky and it sucked on every LCD, fared a little better on 40V550 but I was disappointed by it's quality on most. The sales guy reasoned they were all fed from the same source and as the distance to source increased quality deteriorates, that's why. Is that true or just bollocks?

There were several LG's scarlett, Jazz and all. While HD content on Jazz theater (LH60 I think) looked nice but when I compared it to 40V550, it lost out. Audio of course was better. I could see lines in Taylor Swift's face and blurry ones at that in almost all of them. Sony's quality outsmarted them all. Heir and Sharp LCD's on display were abysmally bad.

Most Samsung's were displayed separately so couldn't compare directly but 40B5x and 6x looked good but were playing different content. Sales guy was pushing for Samsung LED but when I didn't show interest suggested 40S550 or 42LH50 (for 200Hz true motion) as the best buy.

@Jumbo: Didn't spend time here. 47" LH90 was on display. Either it was playing some pathetic content or the TV is just hyped. They refused to change the content. It didn't impress me at all. Both reliance and jumbo stores told me that 42"LH90 won't be available anytime soon. At least, after Diwali.

My reflections: Fast moving (football match in this case) content blurred a wee bit on everything but LH50. Truemotion works. Sony KLV40S550 and 40V550 impressed me most. Both seemed similar, like photocopies. As for Samsung sales guy seemed to have made up his mind to sell me only LED TV, wouldn't even let me look at others :(

Saw the 42" LH90 with Airtel feed today. Nothing out of the ordinary compared to the offerings from Samsung (series 6) and Sony. Was quoted 65k for it, before bargaining.

I went to Relaince Digital and Jumbo Electronics @ Ambience Mall, gurgaon and had a chance to look at several products there.

@Reliance: I decided not to look at brands just stood at an optimum distance and walked across their entire wall (where all 40 inchers were on display) and decided to mark TV's whose picture quality impressed me and then look at brand and model. Twice I did that and came up with Sony's KLV40V550/40S550. W series was not there in 40" size but larger and was great.

Then I asked for LG-LH90QR, sales guy told me that they had a 47" model of that which sold out a couple of days back :(

Initially, they were playing TataSky and it sucked on every LCD, fared a little better on 40V550 but I was disappointed by it's quality on most. The sales guy reasoned they were all fed from the same source and as the distance to source increased quality deteriorates, that's why. Is that true or just bollocks?

There were several LG's scarlett, Jazz and all. While HD content on Jazz theater (LH60 I think) looked nice but when I compared it to 40V550, it lost out. Audio of course was better. I could see lines in Taylor Swift's face and blurry ones at that in almost all of them. Sony's quality outsmarted them all. Heir and Sharp LCD's on display were abysmally bad.

Most Samsung's were displayed separately so couldn't compare directly but 40B5x and 6x looked good but were playing different content. Sales guy was pushing for Samsung LED but when I didn't show interest suggested 40S550 or 42LH50 (for 200Hz true motion) as the best buy.

@Jumbo: Didn't spend time here. 47" LH90 was on display. Either it was playing some pathetic content or the TV is just hyped. They refused to change the content. It didn't impress me at all. Both reliance and jumbo stores told me that 42"LH90 won't be available anytime soon. At least, after Diwali.

My reflections: Fast moving (football match in this case) content blurred a wee bit on everything but LH50. Truemotion works. Sony KLV40S550 and 40V550 impressed me most. Both seemed similar, like photocopies. As for Samsung sales guy seemed to have made up his mind to sell me only LED TV, wouldn't even let me look at others :(

You are welcome to check 42LH90 at my place for Tata Sky+ and DVD or a Blu ray if you can carry a player with you.

Welcome to the club :)

Most of these are mentioned in this thread itself.

For the sake of comparison with the US model, please find below the Picture settings I can see on my 42 LH90

Aspect Ratio (4:3, 16:9, Just Scan, Original, 14:9, Zoom, Cinema Zoom)
Energy Saving (Off, Auto, Minimum, Medium, Maximum, Screen Off)
Picture Mode (Intelligent sensor, Vivid, Standard, Natural, Cinema, Sport, Game, expert1, expert2)
Backlight (0 to 100)
Contrast (0 to 100)
Brightness (0 to 100)
H Sharpness (0 to 100)
V Sharpness (0 to 100)
Colour (0 to 100)
Tint (50R to 50G)
LED Local Dimming (On or Off)
Colur Temperature (Cool, Medium, Warm)
Dynamic Contrast (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Dynamic Colour (Off, Low, High)
Nose Reduction (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Gamma (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Black Level(Off, Low, Medium, High)
Eye Care (off, On)
Real Cinema (Off, On)
TruMotion (Off, Low, High)
Colour Standard (SD, HD)
Colour Gamut (Standard, wide)
Edge Enhancer (Off, Low, High)
Colur Filter (Off, red, Green, Blue)
White Balance (Cool, Medium, Warm)
Red Contrast (-50 to 50)
Green Contrast (-50 to 50)
Blue Contrast (-50 to 50)
Red Brightness (-50 to 50)
Blue Brightness (-50 to 50)
Green Brightness (-50 to 50)
Red Colour (-50 to 50)
Red Tint (-50 to 50)
Green Colour (-50 to 50)
Green Tint (-50 to 50)
Blue Colour (-50 to 50)
Blue Tint (-50 to 50)
Yellow Colour (-50 to 50)
Yellow Tint (-50 to 50)
Cyan Colour (-50 to 50)
Cyan Tint (-50 to 50)
Magenta Colour (-50 to 50)
Magenta Tint (-50 to 50)

If someone can point out anything missing I can try to search for it.
The above are for the picture mode, can share other things if required.

LG's LH90 india and LH90 US model has big differnce

Indian ------------------------ US
1. 512 led----------------------1500 LED
2. No THX cert------------------THX cert
3. No IRE Calib------------------IRE calib
4. 3 HDMI-----------------------4 HDMI
5. No Optical out----------------Optical out
6. DivX SD only-----------------Divx HD
7. True Motion 200--------------True Motion 240
8. ---NO------------------------Picture Wizard
9. Moving LED-------------------96 level of dimming (as per site)

I personally went to LG showroom fast moving image look blocky.. like ripple in water...

I am totally confused.. should i go for LG sonsidering the price... or sony 46W550 or 46Z550 or samsung 46b750

Can anyone suggest?

Last edited:
LG's LH90 india and LH90 US model has big differnce

Indian ------------------------ US
1. 512 led----------------------1500 LED
2. No THX cert------------------THX cert
3. No IRE Calib------------------IRE calib
4. 3 HDMI-----------------------4 HDMI
5. No Optical out----------------Optical out
6. DivX SD only-----------------Divx HD
7. True Motion 200--------------True Motion 240
8. ---NO------------------------Picture Wizard
9. Moving LED-------------------96 level of dimming (as per site)

I personally went to LG showroom fast moving image look blocky.. like ripple in water...

I am totally confused.. should i go for LG sonsidering the price... or sony 46W550 or 46Z550 or samsung 46b750

Can anyone suggest?

Amanker,

Excellent information! Thank you for providing this.

One correction though.

As per David from
Official LG xxLH90 Owners' and "Interested Parties'" Thread - Page 16 - HIGHDEFJUNKIES FORUM

who collected information from LG design engineers itself, the number of LEDs in US version is:

LG model: LED count

55LH95: 3360 LED's
55LH90: 960 LED's
47LH90: 640 LED's
42LH90: 512 LED's"

This looks same as indian model (42LH)

Also, about fast moving pictures - in the above mentioned forum people have been complaining about it. But, most could get it corrected by adjusting the settings it looks like.

DivX SD may not make much of a difference, I think, if we are using a separate player to to play the files and feed into TV.

No idea about the moving LED thingy.

Amanker,

Excellent information! Thank you for providing this.

One correction though.

As per David from
Official LG xxLH90 Owners' and "Interested Parties'" Thread - Page 16 - HIGHDEFJUNKIES FORUM

who collected information from LG design engineers itself, the number of LEDs in US version is:

LG model: LED count

55LH95: 3360 LED's
55LH90: 960 LED's
47LH90: 640 LED's
42LH90: 512 LED's"

This looks same as indian model (42LH)

Also, about fast moving pictures - in the above mentioned forum people have been complaining about it. But, most could get it corrected by adjusting the settings it looks like.

DivX SD may not make much of a difference, I think, if we are using a separate player to to play the files and feed into TV.

No idea about the moving LED thingy.

Have been watching the Soccer and T20 Champions league and F1 last week. Did not find any issues with the fast moving objects at all.

Hello Guys,

I am a new joiner to this forum and after reading so much positive's on LH90 was pretty much gungho on LH90. Was getting a corporate deal at 64.8K. However yesterday rec'd email from LG guys saying that "due material shortage, this model is not available" and LG has suspended any further orders.

My first reaction was that the guys want to cater to retail first and corporate later. However went to Ezone (Hyderabad, City Centre) there the sales guys gave a similar info and (obviously pushing Samsung 6 series) said that in comparison to Samsung, LG has screwed up big time in this model (especially due thickness).

I am pretty much muddled up in considering what next.

Living room 20 X 12. Have a Bose LS20 (1997 model) and am considering Denon 2310 or similar with good sounding 5.1 series speakers.
Total budget for TV and HT approx 3 Lakhs.

Suggestion and pointers more than appreciated.

Hello Guys,
However went to Ezone (Hyderabad, City Centre) there the sales guys gave a similar info and (obviously pushing Samsung 6 series) said that in comparison to Samsung, LG has screwed up big time in this model (especially due thickness).

The sales guys are 'playing' dumb or really not 'educated' in selling LED/LCDs.

The Samsung 6 series are Edge-Lit LEDs and hence the LED/LCD will be 'thinner' compared to the LG LH90 which is Back-Lit LEDs. The back-lit LED/LCDs can never be as 'thin' as the edge-lit LED/LCDs.

There is a recently posted article on CNET about LG's answer to edge lit LED market at, LG 47SL90QD (47-inch LCD) Review - TVs - CNET Asia.

There are a lot of forum members here as you may have seen that have really liked the LH90 LED. BTW, the corporate price you are getting is really good.

With the kind of budget you have mentioned, do take a look at the SONY W & X series or the SAMSUNG B750. These are higher end models and supposed to be having decent reviews.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back