Spotted-Samsung's B750 and LG's LH90

Amanker, how much are you getting the B750 for? Does it have the same panel lottery issue?
Oh and the 200Hz vs 240Hz difference might be because of the NTSC (US) vs. PAL (India) formats.

Cheaper panels could also be found on the B750. Samsung mixes cheaper panels depending upon actual models and sizes. The 40 inchers have a certain chance of cheaper CMO panels. But with the 46 inchers it is more negligible and majority of them are A and S based. Check out the AVS forum link on A.S and C panels and an earlier link i had pasted on an exhaustive list of CMO based panels sold. A and S panels these days do not have much differences between them.
Compare this to the B650. A very high possibility of ending up with CMO panels here across all sizes. Infact the 55 inch B650 is almost definitely a CMO panel
The 52 inch TVs from Samsung on the B750 are all SPVA based. This size is however not available in India.

The sales guys are 'playing' dumb or really not 'educated' in selling LED/LCDs.

BTW, the corporate price you are getting is really good.

Hi GeoTracks,

Thanks! Infact even in the inhouse offer from Chroma / Ezone is not bad. Chroma offered 73K (With DVD, DVD pack, HDMI and 2 yrs additional warranty), similarly Ezone offered at 72K (except 2 yrs additional warranty + Sensei 8 GB MP5)

However comparing both did looked to me that Samsung 6 series looked much better than LH90. Now I am just sitting low, reading more posts on this great forum before delving back into the market.

Thanks

Finally decided to buy 47LH90. Supposed to delivered tomorrow.

Thank you every one for providing valuable inputs.

I will try to post my feedback on the TV once I get some hands on.

GFreeman, so I guess panel lottery is a given with Samsung. I saw a 42B650 today and the TV was certainly not worse than than LG 42LH90 and it looked quite good to me compared to Sony as well. Assuming it is a CMO panel, does it really matter if the PQ is good? I doubt if Samsung would be specifically asking the retailer to show one panel and sell something else, would they?

Oh and I think, I'll take the plunge and will probably buy either a LH90 or a B650. Didn't get a chance to see a B750.

Nidhi i don't think Samsung would do that. But it is also highly unlikely they would replace the panel if you do infact receive a CMO panel.
As for PQ calibrated side by side comparisons of the 3 panels alone will let you know. Also if PQ is something you liked in comparison to the other TVs then you should be absolutely ok with it(assuming it is CMO)
The main concern with CMO panels is viewing angles and blacks...I don't think you have to be worried about life of the panel as LCD panels are overall quite robust and long lasting irrespective of who makes them.

I keep commenting this at this forum... but it is sad to see a lot of people here who want the b750 and they have all been denied access to one of Samsung's finest TVs. No display and worst of all no stock. We all know the reason-the LED push

Srinivas29:
The LG tech guy did not have a clue on how we enable the options available in the US version.
Regarding Service Menu, I was able to get into service menu. For other LG LH90 owners, here is how:
Press and Hold Menu button on the TV
Now Press and Hold Menu button on the Remote
After 5 seconds, you get a password request
Type 0000 on the remote
You enter the service Menu

My current firmware version is 3.04.

@sudindra
When the LG tech comes to install the TV in your place, can you please ask him if there is anyway we could enable the options as available in the US. Can you also ask him how do we get into the service menu. I heard there more calibration controls available in the service menu.

The US forums mention that this TV uses RGB LEDs, but i heard from an LG representative that the TV in india uses white LEDs. I cannot confirm the same though.

For the sake of comparison with the US model, please find below the Picture settings I can see on my 42 LH90

Aspect Ratio (4:3, 16:9, Just Scan, Original, 14:9, Zoom, Cinema Zoom)
Energy Saving (Off, Auto, Minimum, Medium, Maximum, Screen Off)
Picture Mode (Intelligent sensor, Vivid, Standard, Natural, Cinema, Sport, Game, expert1, expert2)
Backlight (0 to 100)
Contrast (0 to 100)
Brightness (0 to 100)
H Sharpness (0 to 100)
V Sharpness (0 to 100)
Colour (0 to 100)
Tint (50R to 50G)
LED Local Dimming (On or Off)
Colur Temperature (Cool, Medium, Warm)
Dynamic Contrast (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Dynamic Colour (Off, Low, High)
Nose Reduction (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Gamma (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Black Level(Off, Low, Medium, High)
Eye Care (off, On)
Real Cinema (Off, On)
TruMotion (Off, Low, High)
Colour Standard (SD, HD)
Colour Gamut (Standard, wide)
Edge Enhancer (Off, Low, High)
Colur Filter (Off, red, Green, Blue)
White Balance (Cool, Medium, Warm)
Red Contrast (-50 to 50)
Green Contrast (-50 to 50)
Blue Contrast (-50 to 50)
Red Brightness (-50 to 50)
Blue Brightness (-50 to 50)
Green Brightness (-50 to 50)
Red Colour (-50 to 50)
Red Tint (-50 to 50)
Green Colour (-50 to 50)
Green Tint (-50 to 50)
Blue Colour (-50 to 50)
Blue Tint (-50 to 50)
Yellow Colour (-50 to 50)
Yellow Tint (-50 to 50)
Cyan Colour (-50 to 50)
Cyan Tint (-50 to 50)
Magenta Colour (-50 to 50)
Magenta Tint (-50 to 50)

If someone can point out anything missing I can try to search for it.
The above are for the picture mode, can share other things if required.

I compared this with the list of controls mentioned for US version in highdefjunkies:
Official LG xxLH90 Settings and Issues Thread - HIGHDEFJUNKIES FORUM

It looks like indian version has all controls as US version.
I think, we need not care about IRE calibration since proper calibration will require proper measurement devices which we do not have.

Also, the US version also uses white LED and not RGB LED.

perfect example of why true pixel level native contrast edge is better then lcds with lower native contrast but use local dimming LED to boost dynamic contrast.
zu1.jpg

while both shots are over exposed ,which shows clouding/flashlighting ,u can still see light for lit zones going into dimmed zones.the one on the left is local dimming toshiba lcd

Last edited:
perfect example of why true pixel level native contrast edge is better then lcds with lower native contrast but use local dimming LED to boost dynamic contrast.

How does one come to know the native contrast and black levels of the shortlisted TVs?

For eg: I am trying to decide between
Samsung-LA46B650T1R
LG-47LH90QR
Sony-KLV-46V550A
Sony-KLV-46W450A

How do I figure out which one has better native contrast and black levels and not the artificially boosted Dynamic Contrast Ratios?

How does one come to know the native contrast and black levels of the shortlisted TVs?

Samsung-LA46B650T1R
LG-47LH90QR
Sony-KLV-46V550A
Sony-KLV-46W450A

How do I figure out which one has better native contrast and black levels and not the artificially boosted Dynamic Contrast Ratios?

The LG is a LED backlit TV while the rest are CCFL based. Backlit LED based TVs have better contrast simply because of their ability to turn off LEDs in true black scenes. One of the best ways to identify contrast levels is to put urself in a dark room and play some dark scenes including movie end credits. You will notice all 3 CCFL tvs having issues producing true blacks. They would tend to be bluish(Samsungs) or greenish(primarily Sony) and you can also notice non uniform screens because light would bleed through the pixels. Also changing viewing angles in these would make this appear worse. The LG though would appear blacker you would notice haloing effects pronounced from off angle

Am not sure how many dealers out there would be willing to make you play around with their TVs with lights turned off.

The W450 is last year's model and would be the worst amongst the 3 in terms of blacks. It may be a bit more difficult to compare the V550, this year's W550 and the B650 and notice differences (also given the type of panel Samsung uses).

Thanks Gfreeman. I am really interested in LG-47LH90QR since based on its features and price, it seems like value for money. However looks like LG is promoting its newly launched edge lit series and there are no stocks available anywhere!! :mad:

Samsung-LA46B650T1R
LG-47LH90QR
Sony-KLV-46V550A
Sony-KLV-46W450A

the samsung and sony natively have better contrast,while the LG LH90 can show deeper black levels only if the area of black show is more i.e,the samsung/sony can show deeper black levels pixelwise.

the newer SL90 being edge light will have a contrast similar to the other LG models like LH50 etc.

yes it is discontinued if i am not wrong i can't find the model even on the official lg website:sad:

Folks - who own a LH90 can you please clarify a doubt I have ? Does the LH90 clock retain its values after a power failure ?

I see that anytime I switch off the main power I need to reset the clock. I wouldn't expect such an issue for such a high end TV.

hey guys, just found the old lg 42LH90 at a store.The shopkeeper gave the price as 48k.But i am also getting samsung 40EH5000R for 48k(through an acquaintance).Now, considering the led backlighting in lh90 as compared to edge led in samsung model,plus 500000:1 contrast ratio and truemotion 200HZ,should i go for lh90.
Or is it too heavy(i need to mount it on wall with viewing distance 8-10 feet and it is really thick from back) and outdated to buy?
I think i can bargain a little more on the lg model.Should i go for lg lh90?
Need urgent help guys....all confused :indifferent14: !

Well i would give the LH90 a pass since its really old now,if its a display piece just walk away from it.

The samsung still has the edge in contrast.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back