Stabilizer & Transformer for Home Theater System

premchanth

Hello Folks,

I recently relocated to India with a Home Theater System with the following components (Projector, AVR & Speaker System)

1) Epson Moviemate 33s - Power Rating 100 - 240v
50/60Hz 2.6-1.2A
2) Onkyo TX-SR606 - Power Rating - 120v, 60Hz
Power Consumption - 5.5A
3) KEF KHT 3005 - Power Rating - 100 to 240v

I need help to choose the apt optimal stabilizer rating for all of the above and the appropriate transformer rating for the AVR.

Thanks in advance.

You should have not much of a problem with 240V rated devices, just get a good surge/spike protector, you may also need a UPS for projector to shutdown properly incase of power failure.

On the 110V, you will get local converters, I have not seen a branded converter here, but you must check the output voltage when you buy to ensure its around 110V only and also get a surge protector from US for 110V.

Thanks for the response. Kiranrdy.

In some of the other posts, I see that a stabilizer may be a better cost effective solution than an UPS for the projector. Also can I look at a higher rating for the stabilizer / UPS so that one could protect all these systems?

On the voltage converter side for the AVR, would a 800W transformer do?

On the voltage converter side for the AVR, would a 800W transformer do?

Your AVR's total power is roughly 700 watts. To handle rush, power surges, peak power, and have some juice in place, get a stabiliser and a step down transformer rated at at least 1.5KVa.

Cheers

Yes, VenkatCR. The AVR's power works out to be 660W to be precise. So I thought to take care of peak power, rushes, etc, I would add 20% to 660W and take a 0.8KVA stabilizer. But did you mean that a 1.5KVA stabilizer could protect my projector, AVR and speaker system all put together?

Your AVR's total power is roughly 700 watts. To handle rush, power surges, peak power, and have some juice in place, get a stabiliser and a step down transformer rated at at least 1.5KVa.

Cheers

guys i stay in pune and face power cuts every day during the summer months for 2-6 hrs and have the following:

panasonic pv8
onkyo 606 + mission m35i + onkyo 5.1 HTS 230
ps2
pioneer 610 dvd player

Since the power cuts are sudden so was wandering some sort of stabilizer to prevent the equipment from going kaput.

Presently I route the electricity through a belkin and mx plug extensions with spike guard. So what do you suggest I get for these equipment.

I also plan to get an Optoma 65 (or something else) soon.
What should be my budget and what to get.

Yes, VenkatCR. The AVR's power works out to be 660W to be precise. So I thought to take care of peak power, rushes, etc, I would add 20% to 660W and take a 0.8KVA stabilizer. But did you mean that a 1.5KVA stabilizer could protect my projector, AVR and speaker system all put together?

Generally you add 50% as a buffer. For 700 watts, 1 KVa will be on the border, and that is why I suggested 1.5 KVa.

I would not connect the projector and AVR to the same power source. If the AVR draws power for a sudden explosion in sound, it may suck the power going to the projector and vice versa.

See if you can connect the projector to a separate power source. Check with your projector supplier what kind of stabiliser is needed and go by what he says. Some people in this forum have opted for a UPS for projector to help it shut down properly.

Cheers

panasonic pv8
onkyo 606 + mission m35i + onkyo 5.1 HTS 230
ps2
pioneer 610 dvd player

Presently I route the electricity through a belkin and mx plug extensions with spike guard. So what do you suggest I get for these equipment. What should be my budget and what to get.

I am assuming you already have a stabiliser for the TV. You can connect the Pioneer DVD Player to the same stabiliser.

As I had explained above, you usually go for 1.5 times the total wattage of your amp. Your 606 has a total wattage of around 600 watts. So you should use a minimum of 1KVa servo controlled stabilizer for a reputed company.

The Belkins and spike guards will come after the stabilisers.

Cheers

I am assuming you already have a stabiliser for the TV. You can connect the Pioneer DVD Player to the same stabiliser.

As I had explained above, you usually go for 1.5 times the total wattage of your amp. Your 606 has a total wattage of around 600 watts. So you should use a minimum of 1KVa servo controlled stabilizer for a reputed company.

The Belkins and spike guards will come after the stabilisers.

Cheers

actually i don't (for the TV) yest but i thought that all TVs sold in India are conditioned for the electricity. Not too sure about the amps though.

So much does the stabilizers cost. And what about the size factor. After the m35 in my room, there is hardly anyspace to setup my 7.1 (will do with 5.1 including the missions for the time being.)

So waiting for the final word on stabilizer, price and make. Right now I plan to get only one stabilizer - for the plasma, receiver, stereo amp and dvd player/ps2. Does it make any sense?

So much does the stabilizers cost. And what about the size factor.

Go for a bigger capacity Servo Stabilizer than you actually need as on today. This will help you in a long way when you change/add components. And the difference between say 2 KVA and 3 KVA Servo Stabilizer is not that much (Rs 2 k or so).

Now about the brands, I would recommend KryKArd or Vertex. Both are good. Krykard has an advantage of having a better aluminium foil (patented technology) transformer which is more efficient. Krykard has a Pune office so you can get a very good and prompt service from them. I have a Krykard Servo- 3 KVA with EMI-RFI filter added, , purchased a year ago for Rs 13000 delivered (that includes all taxes, shipping , octroi etc).

Size is about 14" tall, 14" wide and 18" deep.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Generally you add 50% as a buffer. For 700 watts, 1 KVa will be on the border, and that is why I suggested 1.5 KVa.

I would not connect the projector and AVR to the same power source. If the AVR draws power for a sudden explosion in sound, it may suck the power going to the projector and vice versa.

See if you can connect the projector to a separate power source. Check with your projector supplier what kind of stabiliser is needed and go by what he says. Some people in this forum have opted for a UPS for projector to help it shut down properly.

Cheers

Thanks VenkatCR

UPS is a must for a projector. The lamp burns at around 6500 degress kelvin and will implode if not cooled properly.
Usually the lamp ratings are less than 300w, so all you need is a 500W ups. and yes, please make sure that the switching time of an uPS (in case it is offline ups) is less than 5milli seconds..

Hello Folks,

I recently relocated to India with a Home Theater System with the following components (Projector, AVR & Speaker System)

1) Epson Moviemate 33s - Power Rating 100 - 240v
50/60Hz 2.6-1.2A
2) Onkyo TX-SR606 - Power Rating - 120v, 60Hz
Power Consumption - 5.5A
3) KEF KHT 3005 - Power Rating - 100 to 240v

I need help to choose the apt optimal stabilizer rating for all of the above and the appropriate transformer rating for the AVR.

Thanks in advance.

Based on the recommendations of some of you, I have zeroed in on the following equipment for my Home theater system and received quote for them

1) Krykard 3KVA Servo Stabilizer for the AVR & the KEF Speaker system - Rs14,800 including all taxes & duties
2) Krykard 2KVA Step Down Transformer for the AVR - Rs5066 inclusive of all taxes & duties &
3) MGE NOVA 1.25KVA Line Interactive UPS for the projector - Rs7900 inclusive of taxes

Can somebody help me validate the choice of the equipment and also the rates?

Thanks in advance for this help.

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Sony LCD 40 + Onkyo HT-S3200 + W.D. Media Player.

I am not sure what kind of stabilizer I need.

Can you please help me?

How to figure out the stabilizer capacity.

I enquired in a retail shop. They had V Guard stabilizer with 1.5/2/3/6A capacity.
Which one I would need?

Please suggest.

Regards,
Joy

Go for a bigger capacity Servo Stabilizer than you actually need as on today. This will help you in a long way when you change/add components. And the difference between say 2 KVA and 3 KVA Servo Stabilizer is not that much (Rs 2 k or so).

Now about the brands, I would recommend KryKArd or Vertex. Both are good. Krykard has an advantage of having a better aluminium foil (patented technology) transformer which is more efficient. Krykard has a Pune office so you can get a very good and prompt service from them. I have a Krykard Servo- 3 KVA with EMI-RFI filter added, , purchased a year ago for Rs 13000 delivered (that includes all taxes, shipping , octroi etc).

Size is about 14" tall, 14" wide and 18" deep.

Hope this helps.

Are stabilizers recommended for mumbai? I recently bought a Belkin surge protector to replace my local surge protector, because 2 of my adapters failed. It is good for like 700 Joules- not sure what that means though. Is this enough or should I get a stabilizer? And where do you get these things?

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Sony LCD 40 + Onkyo HT-S3200 + W.D. Media Player.

I am not sure what kind of stabilizer I need.

Can you please help me?

How to figure out the stabilizer capacity.

I enquired in a retail shop. They had V Guard stabilizer with 1.5/2/3/6A capacity.
Which one I would need?

Please suggest.

Regards,
Joy

Go for V Guard Digi 200.

vguard digi is very reliable. I have been using 2 of them for my HT and hospital equipment for past 3 yrs.
giddavr

Attachments

• vguard digi.jpg
    vguard digi.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 168
Are stabilizers recommended for mumbai? I recently bought a Belkin surge protector to replace my local surge protector, because 2 of my adapters failed. It is good for like 700 Joules- not sure what that means though. Is this enough or should I get a stabilizer? And where do you get these things?

surge protectors use MOV's for absorbing the transients, joule rating is how much surge energy it can withstand(MOV impedance vary with voltage). bigger MOV =higher joule rating=will withstand more before blowing up

A digital stabiliser /ups will have the surge protector/emi filter plus the ability to correct input voltage variations automatically so that you can use the equipment while input supply is varying

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back