Star Sports moving BPL to SD from HD

Vishal

Star Sports has gone mad. It has started to broadcast BPL (English Premier League) games from HD to their SD channel. SD looks terrible on high-end LED or Plasma HDTV's.
They have started showing stupid Serie A (Verona, Parma) games on HD instead of a Chelsea game on Sat and Man City, ManU game on Sunday !!!!

How stupid or greedy can they become. It is absolutely heart breaking for ppl like me who has invested in high end video and audio gear to enjoy EPL in HD.

Okay, so that's it. I mean they won't show EPL in HD anymore. Well **** them then.
Got an AirTel HD connection, bought a Sony W6 42", mainly for watching EPL in HD.
Bunch of greedy m***********s. Never liked Star Sports, never will.
P.S. How could I check the T.V. schedule of EPL? I mean I need to see if upcoming EPL matches will be shown in HD or not, otherwise I'll also be disconnecting HD channels. Nonsense!

Last edited:
They showed F1 last race of the season, which was why Man U game was on SD. Man C game was on HD. I remember watching some of it. Usually F1 is in the afternoon/evening and doesn't clash with EPL. This was a Brazil race, hence the time clash. F1 has usually had preference over any other sport.

I remember for this weekend's Arsenal match the game was on Star Sports 4, whereas on Star Sports HD1 they were showing something related to F1 and on HD2 some repeat of the Italian league!!! I guess the SD channels reaches a wider mass, hence the decision. But for people who have invested a lot to watch a few hours of sports on HD, it is a massive blow. I guess this was the sports revolution that was coming!

Completely agree with everyone! I can kind of understand when some high-profile game from La Liga/Serie A is going on and they it gets preference over the Premier League. But when they show some Tier 2 teams playing against each other it really frustrating.

On some days, they'll be airing some pointless Best-Of series from the 1980s while there are better Live programs going on in SD. Star Sports seems to be losing it when it comes to football.

F1 has usually had preference over any other sport.

This is not quite true. Star Sports/Espn always took the " cheap" route and broadcast in HD only when the price was right for them. F1 was show in SD only, on several occasions this season. This must also be the reason why not all EPL matches are broadcast in HD.

In my opinion, the entire Parent company, owned by Mr Murdoch, has a very low level of ethics that has manifested itself in several ways, including the snooping of Mobiles/people etc. which led to the closure of a Newspaper in the UK. This mind set of total disregard for the viewer, can also be seen in the defacing large areas of the screen during broadcasts,with cross advts./ blurbs and even advertisers names/logo, which is a blatant violation of the rules in India. I am sure they would not attempt such practices in any western/ developed country.

Our regulators are more concerned in censorship of programmes- and do not seem to care about other violations of rules/viewer rights. After all, we PAY for watching content-apart from the permitted breaks for Advts, which I believe is approx. 12 mins. for 30 mins. broadcasting.

Last edited:
They telecasted all important matches in SD and non important matches in HD. Really waste of money subscribing to HD channel
13.gif

Yesterday they didn't telecast man utd vs spurs show in hd even when two hd channels were not showing any live content.

More over they didn't show man city match in sd when other 3 sd channels were showing some old crap cricket.

Very bad from start sports.

I am not sure,but they might have decided some strategy to move out from football telecast in India over a long period.So slowly they are reducing the number of live matches so that customers like us will adjust our expectation.Just my thoughts.
I am a football fan and i love to see more matches live.
Do they have any viewers for repeated Pujara and Ojha shows?Are they that excellent to get broadcast time for more than 20 times a week?No disrespect to any one.But can't understand the logic behind such decisions.

But can't understand the logic behind such decisions.

It is just a question of money : I presume MU Chelsea and other top clubs that also have stake in Broadcasting rights, are demanding a larger revenue share- so Channels like Star Sports do not take the HD feed. ...or maybe they spent all their budget on getting Dhoni to promote the EPL/ Football leagues.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back