LG 47LA6910 Review

Narasimhan_M

Friends,
I have been using a Samsung Sonama 32 LCD for more than 6 years and quite recently the age of this TV started showing up. The LCD panel started forming bubbles and gradually it increased to almost 40% of the entire screen. Also the viewing angles were getting pretty bad. Logged a compliant with Samsung to see the possibility to repair the set.
A technician promptly visited and inspected the TV and the issues I reported. He made few calls to the service center and gave me a quote for the repair. It was 22,000 and the panel to be replaced. This started my hunt for a new TV.
For more than 4 years I have been dreaming to own a big TV and thought this would be the ideal time. Read reviews on Sony W800/850, Samsung 3D Series and LG 3D. There was a LG showroom near to my place so took my family along to check the models.
I was totally drooled over by the LA6910 model by its looks, feature set, picture and 3D quality. Checked HD, SD and 3D content and all was pretty good.

Here are the events which followed

13-Oct -> Visited the showroom along with my family to look at the TV models. Demo'd a 3D sample and was soon drooling over. Finalized on 6910 and discussed the payment options.

14-Oct -> Made the payment and the delivery was promised on 15-Oct.

15-Oct -> The Set was delivered around 2 PM. I did not a require a wall mount so the stand was hooked up and it was switched on. While going through the setup(luckily it was on a white background), I noticed 2 dark spots on the set. The technician acknowledged it and said would get back by EOD. No calls after that.

16-Oct -> I fiddled with the menus and found the usage hours. To my shock it was showing 556 Hours. Immediately called LG and lodged a complaint. Spoke with the dealer and he promptly suggested a replacement TV within 2 days. Though disappointing I still had some hope.

17-Oct -> Got a call from the dealer around 5 PM and confirmed that the replacement set is on its way. The new set had no dark spots and the usage hours were 0. A great relief.

The experience with this TV has been awesome so far :yahoo:. The picture quality is excellent. I own a PS3 and a SUN DTH(SD).

Positives

1. The picture quality is very good. SD channels like Star Sports, NDTV and all the tamil channels are very good. I had my picture setting at Eco and the colors, black level are pretty good.

2. I own a few movies in blu ray and the TV really stands out when viewing HD contents. The colors are so natural, contrast is good, excellent black levels. I viewed few music videos from VEVO and songs shot in dark settings looked stunning.

3. Got an IMAX space station 3D and also downloaded few 3D demo videos of LG from YouTube. The 3D is just out of the world and whoever watched 3D was full of smiles. I tried watching 3D in all conditions -> Under bright light, daytime, evening and pitch dark night conditions. The 3D was always pleasant with adequate brightness and sharpness and never caused any flickers or headaches. I set the Gamma to 2.4 and its makes 3D even better.

4. I was surprised by the Audio clarity this set produces. Equipped with a sub woofer at the backside, the audio is punchy with good clarity for highs, mids and lows. The Clear Sound Feature is a sweet option.

5. The SMART TV is wonderful. This TV is now like a PC. This set has dual core processor and 4 GB hard disk built in out of which 1.5 GB is reserved for the system and 2.5 GB is useable.
The TV comes packed with several applications and apart from YouTube I havent used the other apps much. The YouTube app plays video at 1080p unlike my PS3(youtube app on PS3 plays video at 720p only). I watched quite a few HD movies from Youtube from the Star Vijay channel. There was no buffering (I use a 4 mbps airtel connection) and the streaming was outstanding.

6. The Set comes bundled with 2 remotes. The standard and a magic remote. The magic remote is very good to use. The voice recognition is commendable and the mouse like pointer makes working with the TV a lot easier and faster.

7. The network connectivity is superb and the set supports media streaming. All devices with Media streaming connected to the same Wifi router gets listed as an Inout Device and its pretty easy to stream videos, pictures and music from them. I use a Nokia app called PlayTo on my phone and using it pictures, videos and music can be presented on the TV using DLNA.

8. The set reads almost all the video formats including mkv and the playback is instant. The Set also reads NTFS HDD which my PS3 does not.

9. In the game mode I could not notice any input lag when playing games like GOW3, Uncharted 2. The graphics are top notch to be viewed in this set.

Negatives

1. The 3D glasses are a little flimsy and not sure if they could last beyond a year. :sad:

2. The standard remote is not back lit.

3. There is a good amount of glare from the IPS panel. If the set is placed near a window, then thick curtains are a must.

Small yet considerable things

1. The TV can be switched off when playing Music

2. The TV stand has 2 clips at the bottom to manage the cables. From the front, it gives a neat appearance without the cables dancing around.

3. The LG logo light can be customized in terms of brightness and can also be switched off.

4. The Used Hours option is pretty straight forward unlike other TVs. No special key combo required and its displayed under the Support menu.

5. The picture setting can be individually customized for HDMI, AV and even for apps like YouTube.

I hope this review would be helpful to get an insight about LA6910 series. I will be posting pictures soon.

Thanks for the detailed review.What is the price and from which shop you bought this?

I bought it from the LG Best Shop on OMR. The MRP was 1.13L with a 22" LED TV free. I got it for 1.05L without the TV cos I did not find a use for the second tv right now.

Thanks for detailed review.Also congrats.

Thank you spirovious

Get Videocon HD DTH service and Xbox One :clapping:

I am eyeing PS4 and yes an HD DTH pretty soon :)

9. In the game mode I could not notice any input lag when playing games like GOW3, Uncharted 2. The graphics are top notch to be viewed in this set.

Small yet considerable things

1. The TV can be switched off when playing Music

2. The TV stand has 2 clips at the bottom to manage the cables. From the front, it gives a neat appearance without the cables dancing around.

3. The LG logo light can be customized in terms of brightness and can also be switched off.

4. The Used Hours option is pretty straight forward unlike other TVs. No special key combo required and its displayed under the Support menu.

5. The picture setting can be individually customized for HDMI, AV and even for apps like YouTube.

I hope this review would be helpful to get an insight about LA6910 series. I will be posting pictures soon.

Hey thanks for such a good review. I own PS3 and planning to buy this set purely for gaming in 3d and watching 3d movies. I am a die hard fan of 3d.

I am cofused between Sony 47W850 which has Triluminos and this LG 47LA6910. I read many reviews which suggested that there is gaming lag on lg (AV forums).

But found your review promising. :)

Can you please give some details about how is the over game play on this set. Specially in 3D. Is there any motion blur and issues in colours while playing ps3 games in 3d?

I am also getting PS4 from US on launch date :eek:hyeah::yahoo:

Can you please give some details about how is the over game play on this set. Specially in 3D. Is there any motion blur and issues in colours while playing ps3 games in 3d?

I am also getting PS4 from US on launch date :eek:hyeah::yahoo:

Well, I do not own any exclusive 3D games but I have played GOW3 in 3D mode a lot of times. When switched to GAME mode the button responses are instantaneous and I have not noticed any lag so far. Its a lot better than my old Samsung TV :D

The colors are pretty good and vibrant without any blur. In one of the forum the reviewer has measured the lag to 30ms which is pretty good and within permissible limits for gaming. Hope this helps :)

Picture Setting for LA6910

Its been almost 3 weeks with this great TV and has enjoyed every bit of it. HD movies watched recently include Life of Pi, Space Station 3D, Titanic, Iron Man 3 and SkyFall :yahoo:

I have been fiddling with the settings since day 1 and could not hit the sweet spot. With pointers from this forum, I downloaded the AVS Calibration which helped me a bit but could not nail it down.

I then thought of going through all the CNET Review of the LG 2013 series since they share the detailed picture settings of the TV reviewed. Finally found the optimal one and here it is.

Picture menu:
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert [1 or 2]
Backlight: 50
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 47
H Sharpness: 5
V Sharpness: 5
Color: 60
Tint: 0
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

--Expert control menu--
Dynamic contrast: Low
Super Resolution: Low
Black level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Gamma: 2.4

--White Balance submenu--
Color Temperature: Warm1
Method: 2-points
Pattern: Outer
Red: 25
Green: 35
Blue: 40
Red: 0
Green: 0
Blue: 0

--Color management System submenu--
Red: [Saturation 3. Tint 20, Luminance 0]
Green: [Saturation -10. Tint 0, Luminance 13]
Blue: [Saturation 1. Tint 0, Luminance 20]
Cyan: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 0]
Magenta: [Saturation -5. Tint 0, Luminance 10]
Yellow: [Saturation -10. Tint 0, Luminance 0]

--Picture Option menu--
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Off
Real Cinema: Off[grayed out]
Eye Care: Off [grayed out]
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: User
De-Judder: 2

Note: The brightness, backlight and contrast are calibrated with the AVS Calibration video.

LA6910 owners do share your thoughts and feedback.

Last edited:
@ Narasimhan_M

Firstly congrats on your new T.V.. you made a right choice. I have been using this T.V from past 5 months now and i have only one word to say awesome :)

After comparing numerous TVs and looking at features, picture quality, price and after sale support I selected the LA6910 as the best choice, and have not been disappointed. Picture quality is outstanding, the 3D really looks spectacular, and set-up was a breeze.

PQ is absolutely incredible, the details that you can see are outstanding. The 3D works fantastic, it is truly amazing to see, better than in the theater. Yes, 2D to 3D Top Class.

LG = > LIFE'S TOOO GOOD.

I must appreciate your afford that you put in to write this review.. though i was trying to do the same i just couldn't coz of my busy schedule.

I just noticed that you posted Picture Settings <=) Thanks

I did try these settings and yes it works looks great..
I also tried to grab some Picture Settings for this model and i ended up getting setting for LA6900 which is USA version and it works like charm :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: The 20pt White Balance is worth the time it takes to set

Calibration Picture Settings
Picture Mode ISF Expert 1
Backlight 83
Contrast 89
Brightness 55
Energy Saving Off
H Sharpnes 10
V Sharpness 10
Color 60
Tint 0

Expert Mode
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Color Gamut Range Standard
Edge Enhancer Off
Color Filter Off
White Balance 20pt (See Table)
Color Temp Warm2
Method 20pt IRE
Pattern Outer
Aspect Ratio Just Scan

Picture Option

Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema Off
Motion Eye Care Off
LED Local Dimming Off
Tru Motion Off

20pt White Balance
IRE Red Green Blue
100 (130 Luminance) -32 0 1
95 -28 -12 -7
90 -16 0 8
85 -9 -6 -9
80 0 -7 -7
75 -1 -15 -17
70 0 -14 -12
65 -6 -24 -21
60 -10 -21 -13
55 -16 -24 -18
50 -16 -21 -15
45 -17 -21 -18
40 -15 -20 -14
35 -17 -18 -17
30 -15 -17 -17
25 -15 -17 -19
20 -18 -19 -24
15 -20 -18 -26
10 -18 -18 -49
5 9 8 50

If you are done calibrating your T.V with above settings, please share your feedback.

Hope this helps guys :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I am planning to buy 47LA6910, but i am confuse between 47LA6620 & 47LA6910. Both TV's specs are same. There is very minor diffrence. But diffrence is not worth of 10k.
Please suggest. 47LA6910- -94K , 47LA6620-- 86K

Hi juwel,

I would suggest you to go for LA6910.. though on paper they look almost same but LA6910 is superior than LA6620.
I believe 6910 has better PQ and yes spending extra 10k would be wise as you are already spending around 60k.

Also do consider other brands in this price range SONY, SAMSUNG AND PANASONIC and have excellent PQ too.

Hope you will make right decision :)

Last edited:
@ shrey7 , thanks for your input: I am thinking to buy 47 inch. As for 3D viewing larger screen is alwys better.
For 47 inch LA6910 cost 94k while 6620 cost 86k. So diffrence is of 8k. If 8k diffrence is worth of paying then i dont mind paying.

My first post on this forum :)

@shrey7, though I have not compared the 6620 and 6910 next to each other the spec does not show any difference. I guess the outer body of 6910 may be silvery (not black). Have you seen real difference in these ?

I recently bought 42LA6620. Yet to fully watch it !

My first post on this forum :)

@shrey7, though I have not compared the 6620 and 6910 next to each other the spec does not show any difference. I guess the outer body of 6910 may be silvery (not black). Have you seen real difference in these ?

I recently bought 42LA6620. Yet to fully watch it !

Hi Kiran,

Congrats on your new T.V :clapping:
I didn't demo both T.V's side by side but IMHO 6910 is Superior to 6220 :)

@ shrey7 , thanks for your input: I am thinking to buy 47 inch. As for 3D viewing larger screen is alwys better.
For 47 inch LA6910 cost 94k while 6620 cost 86k. So diffrence is of 8k. If 8k diffrence is worth of paying then i dont mind paying.

Yes its absolutely worth spending 8k more..
I may not tell you exact reason but i would choose 6910 just because its Superior model provided if there is no much difference in price.

As 7400 or 8600 is Superior than 6910 so is 6910 is always superior than 6220 though they look same on paper.

There must be something that differentiates these both models, ask sales man meantime i will also do some research and let you know.

If possible get some more quote's from different stores. :licklips:

Last edited:
@ Narasimhan_M

Firstly congrats on your new T.V.. you made a right choice. I have been using this T.V from past 5 months now and i have only one word to say awesome :)

After comparing numerous TVs and looking at features, picture quality, price and after sale support I selected the LA6910 as the best choice, and have not been disappointed. Picture quality is outstanding, the 3D really looks spectacular, and set-up was a breeze.

PQ is absolutely incredible, the details that you can see are outstanding. The 3D works fantastic, it is truly amazing to see, better than in the theater. Yes, 2D to 3D Top Class.

LG = > LIFE'S TOOO GOOD.

I must appreciate your afford that you put in to write this review.. though i was trying to do the same i just couldn't coz of my busy schedule.

I just noticed that you posted Picture Settings <=) Thanks

I did try these settings and yes it works looks great..
I also tried to grab some Picture Settings for this model and i ended up getting setting for LA6900 which is USA version and it works like charm :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: The 20pt White Balance is worth the time it takes to set

Calibration Picture Settings
Picture Mode ISF Expert 1
Backlight 83
Contrast 89
Brightness 55
Energy Saving Off
H Sharpnes 10
V Sharpness 10
Color 60
Tint 0

Expert Mode
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Color Gamut Range Standard
Edge Enhancer Off
Color Filter Off
White Balance 20pt (See Table)
Color Temp Warm2
Method 20pt IRE
Pattern Outer
Aspect Ratio Just Scan

Picture Option

Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema Off
Motion Eye Care Off
LED Local Dimming Off
Tru Motion Off

20pt White Balance
IRE Red Green Blue
100 (130 Luminance) -32 0 1
95 -28 -12 -7
90 -16 0 8
85 -9 -6 -9
80 0 -7 -7
75 -1 -15 -17
70 0 -14 -12
65 -6 -24 -21
60 -10 -21 -13
55 -16 -24 -18
50 -16 -21 -15
45 -17 -21 -18
40 -15 -20 -14
35 -17 -18 -17
30 -15 -17 -17
25 -15 -17 -19
20 -18 -19 -24
15 -20 -18 -26
10 -18 -18 -49
5 9 8 50

If you are done calibrating your T.V with above settings, please share your feedback.

Hope this helps guys :)

Thanks Narasimhan_M and shrey7, I am also enjoying this wonderful TV 47LA6910..But i had not middled with picture settings..just watching the preset settings.... I will try both your settings...
Nags

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back