Step down Converter thoughts

I have one of these . Not recommended for any hi-fi application.
It is a triac based chopper circuit, similar to the one used in fan regulators.

The output waveform is not clean and too much rf noise.

Hi Sushant, so which AVR did you buy finally? You sold off your Onkyo? Did you buy it from Crutchfield? How are you planning to get it to India?

i am also looking out for the Transformer, before the AVR reaches me on the 5th.

Do keep me posted.

Oh wow, congrats on your purchase, lets talk, PM me your number. I was looking to buy a PS3. with both of us being in Gurgaon, we may strike a deal.

How much was the CA 550A? Bought it in USA?

lol... small world. Infact i went to Delhi few days back to check out a PS2 from a diplomat. he was selling it for 5.5K. Only problem was, it was in French.

he was also selling 4 controllers for a quiz game called Buzz. Anyways, I wasn't impressed with the graphics so I chucked the idea. bought many DVDs from him instead.

I am more interested in the gears of War and other similar games.

Oh wow, congrats on your purchase, lets talk, PM me your number. I was looking to buy a PS3. with both of us being in Gurgaon, we may strike a deal.

How much was the CA 550A? Bought it in USA?

Try and get a used phat version 80 gb ps3 which has not recd the update by which sony corp in march/april 2010 unscrupulously took away the ability of the phat machine to run as a linux pc. Its irreversible. Google it to see what I mean. The PS3 is the best all around machine that way, as purely a gaming console, I would rather buy a x-box or maybe a ps2 as ps3 titles are frighteningly expensive, although the visual presentation is much better.

My two phooti kaudis here, thanks to FM Hemant Waghe
These step-downs mostly convert the voltage from 220 to 110v or vice-versa. They do not cater for conversion of the cycles per sec from 50 to 60 hz or vice-versa, for which something called a cyclo-inverter is mandatory and again quite expensive. AFAIK, the cycles per sec variation does not make much reckonable difference for amp applications but definitely so for all appliances having rotary components, be it a record player, cassette tape deck or even a CD/DVD player. Check it out. Regards

Thanks for your inputs Trittiya :) You're expertise in niche areas is always commendable. I read your posts about Amps & speakers by Indian Manufacturers....
Apparently, a lot of forum users have procured AVRs from US and are now looking for transformers to run them. .

General consensus is to use a Isolation Transformer, step down of appropriate wattage. Some say, this should be 1.5 to 2 times for your equipment consumption

Actually the frequency not only affects the motors/rotary devices (this is only in case the rotation of the motor is dependant on the frequency, they won't affect dc motors) but also the frequency also plays a part in the losses of the power supply in this case the transformer. The laminations for the transformer can be of lesser gauge in case of 60 Hz. A transformer designed for 50Hz will be better than one designed for 60Hz. Further, in case of prolonged continous use this may have an adverse effect like more heating, etc.

Coming to AVRs I am of the opinion that if the weight of the receiver is same (nearly) for the 230V and the 110V models then ther should be no problem running the 60Hz equipment on 50Hz.

Wow Vashishta - so you are out of the 3300 league. And I was talking to Snorkel4U to show him 3300 paired with Polks at your place!

Congrats on your new purchase!

BTW hope the movie library is still there!

Wow Vashishta - so you are out of the 3300 league. And I was talking to Snorkel4U to show him 3300 paired with Polks at your place!

Congrats on your new purchase!

BTW hope the movie library is still there!
Yes yes the movie library is still there. You can come down this weekend to copy stuff.

Actually the decision to sell 3300 was made on multiple factors. More than the sound related preference, it was about reducing the clutter.

Last month I was made to vacate my home (don't know what my landlord was up to). Had to take shelter in a rather shabby place. 240sq yd to 100sq yd. :mad: Managing all my stuff was getting tough.

I have procrastinated my HT purchase till the time I am able to secure my OWN place. Till then I wanted a good stereo setup. And no to increase the components again, I am making use of my netboook as a source and this new CA 550A is looking wonderful.

Drop in sometime (even my wife has gone to punjab) so you can have demos as long as you want :p (not for the 3300 but the 550A, if you want to :p)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back