Step down Converter thoughts

When are you back-- dont worry I can chase you till Punjab ;)

BTW Snorkel4U, what finally happened with your HTiB hunt? Also did you manage to get a UPS for all your gadgets?

Do note, when using a 50Hz stepdown with a 60Hz AVR, it will generate more heat at the AVR! It is highly likely that most of these...will stepdown voltage but wont convert frequency.

Well I am not sure if this is true. I got an AVR from US with the regular 110v 60hz supply, and I bought a transformer (Jatin's advice) from Delhi. Its by a brand called Guru, they are apparently known and branded and famous as they make the transformers themselves.

Its a 1000Watts (or 1KVA) with a single Socket at the rear. All in all the transformer is very heavy and I haven't seen any excessive heating up of the AVR.

Also, Mine is tha Automatic type transformer. It has a fuse to prevent excessive current flow. Now sure how helpful it would be.....

And I doubt there are transformers in the market which will change the frequency cycle also to 50Hz ?

There are converters available or can be made to convert frequency but it does not justify the cost. In case of AVRs there should not be a problem for operating units designed for 60Hz operating at 50 Hz.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back