step down transformer for denon 1613

drdynamic

i have brought denon 1613 from usa.i want to know how much wattage transformer do i need?back of amplifier says 360 watt 120v 60hz only.no information about amp.how to count wattage?plz help.

Attachments

• Denon_AVR-1613.jpg
    Denon_AVR-1613.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 138
VERY Simply and basically, 1 Watt = 1 Volt x 1 Ampere. when a resistive load is used.

360 Watts at 120 V means it will draw a current of 3 Amperes. ( 120 Volts x 3 Amperes = 360 Watts)

If in India you assume 240 Volts as the supply, to deliver 360 Watts, means a current of 1.5 Amperes will be drawn.

In simple theory the 240 VAC to 120 VAC Step Down transformer will also need to be 360 Watts ( 1.5 amperes at 240 VAC).

However in practice:
1. The AVR will not present a purely resistive load. Hence will actually draw more ( probably 30% more ) current than 3 amperes at 120 Volts.

2. When you order a 360 VA Transformer in India, the supplier almost never delivers to specs. They will cut corners and its VERY difficult for a lay person to know if he has been short changed....

Keeping in view points 1 & 2 above, a 750 VA Transformer, Made in india will suffice to drive the AVR.

The Transformer will be :

750 VA ( Volt x Ampere)
Primary Winding: 250 VAC and 3 Amperes
Secondary Winding: 120 VAC and 6.25 Amperes.

Cheers

thanks indianears for detail explanation.will it be ok if i buy 1000VA? should i buy isolated transformer or regular one?

Last edited:
750 VA or Any rating Above that wioll be fine.

An isolation transformer limits noise entering into the HiFi component thru the Mains supply. Its sometimes used by Audiophiles to get bettter sonic performance. An isolation transformer will add SUBSTANTIALLY to the cost, and IMHO with a component of this performance level, it will probably not be money well spent.

I forgot to add that many 110 Volt AV components can be shifted to 240 VAC operation ( for India) by simply shifting 2 Jumper wires internally on the PCB.

It is however not a task for the technically un-initiated. If you have a service technician, he can check it out and make the jumper changes while you wait ....

Worth looking into, maybe you can even check on the 'net for this possibility for your particular AVR.

I have a Denon 1911 USA make (460watts rated) and using it with 750VA maxine stepdown transformer since last 2 years without any problem.

In your case too 750VA will suffice.

I forgot to add that many 110 Volt AV components can be shifted to 240 VAC operation ( for India) by simply shifting 2 Jumper wires internally on the PCB.

It is however not a task for the technically un-initiated. If you have a service technician, he can check it out and make the jumper changes while you wait ....

Worth looking into, maybe you can even check on the 'net for this possibility for your particular AVR.

I didnt know that this could be done... surely will give it a try. Thanks

a local delear offering me isolation transformer at 3400rs....
here is the conversation with him........For your requirement our 500 VA (industrial grade) will be sufficient.

500 VA isolation step down transformer will be cost Rs. 3250 + vat 5 % , and step down auto transformer will be cost Rs. 2200 + vat 5 %

should i go to auto transformer or isolation type?

The autotransformer can deliver higher Peak Currents ( eg with Music Transients0.

The Isolation Transformer will reject Mains Noise. the nth degree of audio finesse is probably not yr priority for a HT system, of the calibre you have.

I would therefore recommend the Auto Transformer. Will save you some money too.

a local delear offering me isolation transformer at 3400rs....
here is the conversation with him........For your requirement our 500 VA (industrial grade) will be sufficient.

500 VA isolation step down transformer will be cost Rs. 3250 + vat 5 % , and step down auto transformer will be cost Rs. 2200 + vat 5 %

should i go to auto transformer or isolation type?

The step down transformer creates a buzzing noise when switched ON, this might annoy you. i feel uncomfortable with this buzzing noise and i'm no audiophile . If you dont mind the extra 1000rs go:yahoo: for isolation transformer

Amen to that. Have been using Maxine :clapping: and they are good. A 750VA will do good.

Dosai

I have a Denon 1911 USA make (460watts rated) and using it with 750VA maxine stepdown transformer since last 2 years without any problem.

In your case too 750VA will suffice.

hemchandran said:
The step down transformer creates a buzzing noise when switched ON, this might annoy you. i feel uncomfortable with this buzzing noise and i'm no audiophile . If you dont mind the extra 1000rs go for isolation transformer

Transformer buzz is caused by :

1. Loose laminations / loose fitting of the Transformer.

2. DC in the primary supply ( ie an Unsymetrical AC supply).

Regular Transformers, AutoTransformers and Isolation Transformers are equally susceptible to transformer buzz....

The transformer that you have probably has loose laminations...

The Maxine that I have does the same thing too. It emits a buzz just at the time of switching on. Its silent after that.

Dosai

hemchandran said:

Regular Transformers, AutoTransformers and Isolation Transformers are equally susceptible to transformer buzz....

dosai, the initial buzz from the Transformer is normal and due to the Switch On Surge.

When a Transformer is switched on a High (several times the normal) current is drawn, whch causes the Iron Laminations of the Transformer core to Vibrate.

Once the switch on surge is over, there is no more vibration in a well built transformer ( ie one where the laminations are tightly packed / held together.

Incidentally, an Autotransformer will have a Much higher switch on surge than a regular transformer.

The switch on surge may also cause your lights to blink :)

buy GURU brand, if you can, they are the best. a 500 W GURU will be more than enough.
I run my HK 254 receiver with 500W GURU step down transformer.

i have tata sky hd set-top box and samsung 3d bluray player.should i connect it to reciever or directly to tv.if i connect it to receiver through hdmi will i get better quality?

Connect BDP to AVR directly.

Connecting STB to AVR has both pros and cons. On the negative side, you will need to keep the AVR ON all time for watching the channels. This will consume more energy. On the plus side you will get 5.1 audio while watching HD channels, if Tatasky supports 5.1 through HDMI. If the STB supports DD 5.1 through the coaxial/optical out then connect the STB directly to TV and the coaxial/optical out to AVR for getting surround sound. This is the best method as you can turn off the AVR if it is not needed.

hemchandran said:

Oh, ok does this mean my step down transformer is faulty. If so can you please suggest me a brand which is good. I will need to buy a new one :mad:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back