Stereo amp and bookshelf speakers for Bedroom

ssm

Hi everyone, this is my first post, looking to buy a stereo setup for my bedroom (300sq ft ), my budget is 50k, I like listening to hindi movie songs, 80s classic English songs, sufi songs etc.. I have visited a few stores in Mumbai and checked out
1. Dali ikon 1with marantz 6003 ( 58k) above my budget
2. psb B1 with NAD 315 (36k)

Have heard a lot about monitor audio BR2 and BX2, both are not available at the moment. I have done some reading on hifivision, it is difficult to find a dealer who stocks more than 3 to 4 brands.
Can someone please suggest which amp and bookshelf speakers would be the best package in my budget? Where in Mumbai are they available?

welcome2.gif

Did you hear both setup you mentioned? - which one do you like?

Hi,

You can visit Alliance 4 at Andheri (W), D.N. Nagar.They have Wharfedale, Dali, & some other brands.You can meet Mr.Kadam who is very helpful.

For Amps you can check out the Marantz & Cambridge Audio.

300 sq ft bedroom in Mumbai ..............:p ....... are you sure?

Try also looking at the 'Topping thread' and hear it, if possible.

enclosed my balcony ... old building ... ;)

both the speakers were with different dealers . the dali ikon sounded better but .. psb also sounded good. i did not carry my own cd. i think i will visit again

could you suggest something ?

topping thread ... ? sorry im new to all this ... hadn't heard beyond bose. where can i get to hear in mumbai

Last edited by a moderator:
ssm, Couple of things you should remember,
1. Try to avoid consecutive posts, you can press the edit button on the bottom right hand corner of the post to edit/add contents( for 24 hours from the time you posted). Also you can read up on posting, multi quote etc. Just giving you a heads up, before a moderator steps in.

2. The Topping TP20 is a small chip amp which has become very popular on this forum. It costs around Rs.4000 and can be had from ebay.com. They deliver to India.
Here's the link to the thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifier...ripath-2020-amplifier-versus-nad-c320bee.html

Alternatively, you can use the 'search' option on the top of this page and enter the keyword ("Topping" in this case) to find the same thread.
Hope this helps.

if you like the PSBs you would be wise to up your budget and try and get hold of a Image B15
The newer one (the B5) sounds very close but at a higher price

and yes PSB does gel better with a NAD than most other amps
(i was fortunate enough to visit a lenbrook partner in kualalampur who generously allowed me 4 hours of auditions though he probably knew i may not buy)

P.S the dalis are a good choice too, but you will not do them justice with a marantz 6000 or even a 7000 series ( its not about the power , just the sound signature)

please note the above are my personal opinions only and is completely subjective

@avidyarthy, thanks ..for the advice to read the topping thread... went through the topping tread all the 51 pages ..... on my bb...... i plan to buy a topping but need some advice. (option 1. ) topping TP20 with jbl control 1 or ( option 2 ) topping TP30 with jbl control 1 .....????? . Thanks

JB1 is not the speaker for your room size. You should look at some other bookshelves like Whar 9.2.

Also, how do you like your music? If you are into pulse pounding bass and high volume, forgot topping. Anyway, TP20 is good.

JB1 is not the speaker for your room size. You should look at some other bookshelves like Whar 9.2.

Also, how do you like your music? If you are into pulse pounding bass and high volume, forgot topping. Anyway, TP20 is good.

I'm really confused :sad: can you suggest an amp, cd/ mp3 player and a pair of speakers for my room. Like to listen to all kinds of music .... it all depends on my mood. ( so does the volume level ) ... my wife is not keen on bookshelf due to size. .. Thanks for prompt reply

Suggest, why don't you carry the Topping along for the speaker auditions.

I too did that. Initially had plans to buy only the CA S30, which was out of stock. But the dealer had a pair which was already sold and did manage to provide me with the test. It was indeed good, but clipped at higher volume levels (say, 2'O clock position).

The JBL was just fine. Higher level stands at 3'O clock and the sound is close to deafening .... hardly ever exceed 12'O clock on the volume knob with a pretty high volume too. The living room is huge ... ok, quite big @ 300 sq.ft., which I think is a decent size ... and it gets filled with music at the high levels.

So, instead of taking others' opinions here, try it out and see your comfort level. Mind you, I have'nt even set my speakers as it should be ... it is way up on the cabinet that you too have seen in the pic. Had it been at a more practical level (ear level), the effect would have been more pronounced ... right?

TP20 should be fine ... with the JBLs. The JBL Control 1s are'nt big too ... more of a wall-set satellite than a bookshelf.

@avidyarthy, thanks ..for the advice to read the topping thread... went through the topping tread all the 51 pages ..... on my bb...... i plan to buy a topping but need some advice. (option 1. ) topping TP20 with jbl control 1 or ( option 2 ) topping TP30 with jbl control 1 .....????? . Thanks

Getting an audition at 300 sq ft place is difficult. We had the topping shoot out in a 220 Sq ft room and its struggled and mind you this was acoustically treated room.

I have my topping in bedroom and love it but would not really look at for big rooms.

Have heard the NAD + PSB combo too.

At a budget of @ 50 k, you could have the NAD 315 + Image/Alpha (hope I got the models right!). This would have a same volume levels as the Topping at 12'O - 2'O volume levels (with the JBL Control 1s)

Yes, the bigger NADs + Synchrony would beat the Topping any day, BUT would cost you dearly too.

Like avid stated, the cost could be high with NAD combination. You can also look at used market. They have some good stuff.

If you can try the topping at u r b/r before deciding nothing like it. But at 4k...you might not loose much by buying it :) for all that you know you might not want that much volume, depending on your listening position

Like avid stated, the cost could be high with NAD combination. You can also look at used market. They have some good stuff.

If you can try the topping at u r b/r before deciding nothing like it. But at 4k...you might not loose much by buying it :) for all that you know you might not want that much volume, depending on your listening position

Ordered the topping tp20 :yahoo: from ebay .. . Not yet received it ... Its been 12 days ... Now have to start looking for a pair of good speakers Short listed a few ... MA BX2, CA S30, Norge Nano, MS Avant 902i,
Will carry the topping when I go for audition
:eek:hyeah:

Ordered the topping tp20 :yahoo: from ebay .. . Not yet received it ... Its been 12 days ... Now have to start looking for a pair of good speakers Short listed a few ... MA BX2, CA S30, Norge Nano, MS Avant 902i,
Will carry the topping when I go for audition
:eek:hyeah:

Haven't personally heard the Avant but heard great reviews about its performance..

I suggest you add the Quad 11L2 to the list of Bookshelves you have shortlisted. They are really good & versatile speakers and when paired with a Marantz amp sounds amazing.. (that is how I heard them and since pairing makes a huge diff, i thought I will let you know) Not sure how well would it do with your topping, but worth giving it a listen.. Costs about 32K in Delhi..

I think the PSB for all I've heard (top of the line bookshelves - synchrony 1A and 1B) are a touch bright for my liking. No wonder why they sound best when paired with a NAD (high on bass when compared to a marantz).. Again, this is purely based on my experience and everyone's ears respond differently to sounds.. I may be wrong but just wanted to share my thoughts to see if it helps.. Good luck brother!!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back