Stereo Setup in 50k. Chinese Amp for 10k + 40k speakers?

i ordered smsl q5 pro today in afternoon for Rs.5694 85$ from tomtop. now wait and watch. specs on tomtop for q5 pro are different from aliexpress. just saw after ordering. fingers crossed for now.

From the images, it is the same Q5 pro.. Which spec is different from aliexpress ?

There was one model before SMSL Q5.. Here is an image to differentiate between Q5 Pro (top) Vs Q5 (discontinued)..

HTB1lYU5JVXXXXc5XFXXq6xXFXXXg.jpg

Q5 Pro has sub-out.. Q5 doesn't have it.. So if you receive the model with sub-out, then it is Q5 pro..

i used to listen to c3 as well. go for marantz 6006 with wharfedale 225. best combo in the price range. really good jump from c3. wharfedale has been proven many times as the budget king. marantz i own now is good. dont go for chinese amps...clipping problem will occur...thats why i stretched my budget.
I have Marantz SR 5008, PM6005 and PM8003( recently bought from FM) connected to wharfedale 9.5 and 9.1 I do own Norge1000 gold with sonodyne sound book shelf speakers.
Afer listening to them for nearly a decade I can say that It is really worth to give a try.
This tpa3116 is costing 550 inr including shipping charges( no duty) competing with my Norge in almost all departments except in bass.( Bit week, iam a bass head)

Today I have powered this amp with my HP printer adapter( 22 V). The sound is very soothing. Even after 5 days it is still impressive.

Again guys iam not marketing this amp. But definitely you can give a try ( just 550 inr)

People those who are looking for bass can look at the model having sub out.

Again guys iam not marketing this amp. But definitely you can give a try ( just 550 inr)

I totally believe you:)

I've been a very happy user of TPA3118, the PBTL mono version (one board per channel), powered by one laptop adapter per board, giving about 60W per channel into 8 Ohms load. Except for the slightly recessed bass, it ticks every sonic quality I value. The PBTL version is more of a power amp and needs a preamp to work (for volume control and source selection). It doesn't have built-in volume pot.

I agree that wharfedale speakers are power hungry.
That is why I have connected tpa3116 with sonodyne speakers which is not
It is a safe bet I hope.
This is the reason why iam still holding sonodyne speakers. Want to experience different combinations in future.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

i ordered smsl q5 pro today in afternoon for Rs.5694 85$ from tomtop. now wait and watch. specs on tomtop for q5 pro are different from aliexpress. just saw after ordering. fingers crossed for now.

Did you go for the priority shipping option?Also, let us know when it arrives !

no, i opted for standard shipping, shipping time is 7-20 days. Sure will update when i receive the package.

Received the package yesterday afternoon. to my surprise i dint had to pay any custom duty, working fine so far no hiccups, sounds fantastic and vfm product.

@RNS
How is this possible???
Did the seller quote the package value as <2000 INR?
Even then the weight should have given a hint to the customs, right?
That is seriously a well thrown die!

Getting SMSL Q5 Pro for less than 6K, with international shipping & no duty is just awesome :clapping:

My friends trip to India got delayed to December so I took went ahead and ordered the Q5 Pro from tomtop last night. Got it for USD83.50 which is approx Rs 5500. Lets hope I too dont get hit with too much custom duties, if at all. Now the hunt for speakers! Considering getting the Mission LX2 for now as I can get them for just 14k on ebay with coupons. Which sub should I pair with them?

My friends trip to India got delayed to December so I took went ahead and ordered the Q5 Pro from tomtop last night. Got it for USD83.50 which is approx Rs 5500. Lets hope I too dont get hit with too much custom duties, if at all.

Really great price for what the amp can do :clapping: Hope they don't charge you duty.. Even if they charge 1K also, it is still a great price..

Now the hunt for speakers! Considering getting the Mission LX2 for now as I can get them for just 14k on ebay with coupons. Which sub should I pair with them?

Think you can use some coupon codes twice/thrice until validity..So take advantage of that and choose the sub from ebay itself.. As you would get a maximum discount of 3K i believe (or) you can buy it with an other credentials and still get discount..

Really great price for what the amp can do :clapping: Hope they don't charge you duty.. Even if they charge 1K also, it is still a great price..

Think you can use some coupon codes twice/thrice until validity..So take advantage of that and choose the sub from ebay itself.. As you would get a maximum discount of 3K i believe (or) you can buy it with an other credentials and still get discount..
Yes can use the coupon thrice. Waiting till 8th when my credit card cycle renews to get 50 days credit :D

Any suggestions on which sub to get? Though I'll use it for movies as well, I'd prefer something that's more suited for music. I plan on trying the Missions without the sub initially to see how they fare and then adding a sub accordingly, but which subs would you recommend? Since I'm getting the speakers for about 14k, would it make sense to get a sub that's more expensive than the speakers or should I look for something in the same price range? I prefer tight bass.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Yes can use the coupon thrice. Waiting till 8th when my credit card cycle renews to get 50 days credit :D

Great Idea.. I too do the same :D Make the biggest purchase on the first day of billing cycle, to take advantage of 50 days credit..

Any suggestions on which sub to get? Though I'll use it for movies as well, I'd prefer something that's more suited for music. I plan on trying the Missions without the sub initially to see how they fare and then adding a sub accordingly, but which subs would you recommend? Since I'm getting the speakers for about 14k, would it make sense to get a sub that's more expensive than the speakers or should I look for something in the same price range? I prefer tight bass.

How much is your budget for subwoofer?

@RNS
How is this possible???
Did the seller quote the package value as <2000 INR?
Even then the weight should have given a hint to the customs, right?
That is seriously a well thrown die!

they did under invoice the package value to 23$ and shipped, and marked as sample. my amp remote stopped working, replaced batteries 2 times but remote still not working :sad::sad::sad:...

Great Idea.. I too do the same :D Make the biggest purchase on the first day of billing cycle, to take advantage of 50 days credit..

How much is your budget for subwoofer?
Well when I started off I was looking at a budget of about 50k for the setup. I don't have a fixed budget as such and can extend a bit if it's really worth it.

So I'm considering the Mission Lx2 which comes to 14k, the amp comes to 6k so that's 20k. I could potentially get a sub for 30k but does it really make sense to buy a sub that costs double that of the satellites? Two options I see here - either get a sub at a similar price for around 15k or splurge for a sub which will last me very long and upgrade the fronts sometime in the future (but will spending much more on the sub really make a difference for mostly stereo music?).

The other option would be to buy a good set of speakers for about 40k or so and maybe get a sub later down the line if required. I'm open to both and just looking for suggestions and opinions from you guys who have probably tried all this stuff out :)

they did under invoice the package value to 23$ and shipped, and marked as sample. my amp remote stopped working, replaced batteries 2 times but remote still not working :sad::sad::sad:...

If i remember correctly, a button on a remote needs to be pressed twice (like double click, fast) before you make any change to volume.. I hope you have done this correctly..

Well when I started off I was looking at a budget of about 50k for the setup. I don't have a fixed budget as such and can extend a bit if it's really worth it.

So I'm considering the Mission Lx2 which comes to 14k, the amp comes to 6k so that's 20k.

I think you should pick satellites which are limited on the bass capability, a speaker that is not capable of producing bass below 100Hz and take advantage of the sub-out fully..

If you would be picking LX2, then they would be capable of producing some decent bass of say 60 ~ 70 Hz.. When you add a sub, you have no control over bass, and the subwoofer & speaker are most likely to duplicate low freq..(This is because SMSL Q5 Pro doesn't have bass management)

But you can control the bass on subwoofer via the physical crossover knob on sub..

I could potentially get a sub for 30k but does it really make sense to buy a sub that costs double that of the satellites? Two options I see here - either get a sub at a similar price for around 15k or splurge for a sub which will last me very long and upgrade the fronts sometime in the future (but will spending much more on the sub really make a difference for mostly stereo music?).

What has a sub price go to do with the price of speaker?

If you can up your budget a lil, you can go dual subs.. Either Taga (or) a brand that you like in your budget..

The other option would be to buy a good set of speakers for about 40k or so and maybe get a sub later down the line if required. I'm open to both and just looking for suggestions and opinions from you guys who have probably tried all this stuff out :)

I have limited knowledge technically, but have used/experienced 2.0 (FS), 2.1 & 2.2 for stereo (AVR w/Bass Management).. 2.2 is great for stereo & superb for movies..

If i remember correctly, a button on a remote needs to be pressed twice (like double click, fast) before you make any change to volume.. I hope you have done this correctly..

I think you should pick satellites which are limited on the bass capability, a speaker that is not capable of producing bass below 100Hz and take advantage of the sub-out fully..

If you would be picking LX2, then they would be capable of producing some decent bass of say 60 ~ 70 Hz.. When you add a sub, you have no control over bass, and the subwoofer & speaker are most likely to duplicate low freq..(This is because SMSL Q5 Pro doesn't have bass management)

But you can control the bass on subwoofer via the physical crossover knob on sub..

What has a sub price go to do with the price of speaker?

If you can up your budget a lil, you can go dual subs.. Either Taga (or) a brand that you like in your budget..

I have limited knowledge technically, but have used/experienced 2.0 (FS), 2.1 & 2.2 for stereo (AVR w/Bass Management).. 2.2 is great for stereo & superb for movies..
What satellites would you recommend that don't go below 100hz to make the most of the sub? All speakers I was checking were ported ones with decent bass response.

As for the price of the sub, well I thought that since about 80 percent of music lies in the midrange, the best thing to do would be to spend the most on the satellites and a similar or lesser amount on the sub to complete the frequency spectrum and fill in the lows. Wouldn't spending much more on the subs than on the satellites be exactly the opposite of this reasoning? Or am I totally wrong in my thinking?

What satellites would you recommend that don't go below 100hz to make the most of the sub? All speakers I was checking were ported ones with decent bass response.

Few to mention like Polk OWM 3, Taga S-90SL surround,sealed speaker.. The lower limit of the Polk OWM 3 is around 100Hz..

As for the price of the sub, well I thought that since about 80 percent of music lies in the midrange, the best thing to do would be to spend the most on the satellites and a similar or lesser amount on the sub to complete the frequency spectrum and fill in the lows. Wouldn't spending much more on the subs than on the satellites be exactly the opposite of this reasoning? Or am I totally wrong in my thinking?

I think there is no need to split the budget for satellites, subwoofer.. IMO, you are just picking the speaker & sub-woofer to complement the capabilities..

thanks for the info, its working now. i might have pressed c or b button on the remote and the remote stopped working. after pressing A button on the remote its working fine now.

how to setup sub woofer crossover frequency can you guide me. i have presently connected satellite speakers and sub with this amp. there is no frequency marking on sub crossover just dots from left to right side.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back