Stereo setup - Need help

rjstyles

Prologue :

The family thinks that anything beyond their means of understanding is always an act of conniving, so much so they will feign ignorance and ask you to stop wasting money and then try imbibing into you that what you already have is the best. Always trying to coax you into an exodus from this pursuit for audio nirvana.

But their expenses are always justified with actions even if it is for a one time use. Classic example is a pair of stilettos which is picked up for a friends or a colleagues betrothal and once done, it's usually put to rest in the tomb we call SHOE RACK, never to see another dawn during its existence.The same goes with the clutches too, they would never say daylight anytime in the near future :cool: .
After a lot of cajoling and reasoning,lo and behold finally it dawned on my better half and she agreed to let me have it my way for music. Took me a lot to convince her what a stereo setup was and the importance of having a 2.1 for music alone.

Her conditions put forth with a few nuances like no moving furniture blah blah,a strict budget and with no divorce in sight I was finally ready to embark on this sojourn.

That brings the noob(me) here seeking answers from the already enlightened audiophiles. I am more into music and only my Saturday and Sunday is spent watching movies. I have no choice coz my better half usually is on a movie marathon during the weekends.

When I get lazy I work from home and this happens at-least twice a week coz I simply hate the sheer madness of driving in the city's traffic.I could be hallucinating, but somehow these days I see that my left leg has grown larger in size than the right,heck driving a 2.2 tonner and constantly engaging the clutch takes a toll on you.

While working from home, I am always listening to music and this goes on till late in the evening. Well what better alternative for a sweatshop slogger eh :D?

Auditioned a few brands and instead of being convinced , I am confused at a whole new level.

> Yamaha A S-500 Paired with MA bronze(methinks) on a recent trip. Was shrill to my ears, some tuning done by the dude at the store and it sounded good. Heard the same amp with the Wharf's and I liked it.

> Marantz PM6004 wasn't to my tastes. No PM7004 much above my budge.
> Heard the CA 651 Azure with the MA M4's and it was crystal clear.Loved it but my wallet doesn't like it, at 42k beyond my budget.

Now here's the predicament,

-Strictly on a budget of 20k and can be extended by a max of 2/3 grand.
-Source Logitech SB touch and eventually a BD Player maybe.
-Speakers are my MA M4's.
-AVR Denon 1911 ( doesn't matter I guess ).

What would you guys recommend, look for other amps ? If yes what are the other available options in the sub 20k bracket.

on a 20k budget norge amp and wharfe bookshelf or sonodyne amp and sonodyne sonus bookshelf....

one thing not clear..u already have denon 1911 and M4 speaker??

only avr a sale is going in hifi mart itself on a marantz avr(sorry forgot model) at about 19k...

rjstyles, difficult to digest that you drive a 2.2 tonner and still got a permission of only 22k from home minister. I am lucky that I am on my bicycle most of the times but wifey, till now, has been kind with my hobby. :) Anyway. Are you open for used amps? ii think Vasishtha.sushant had his CA amp for sale. Check it out. Important because you liked the CA amp with M4s. By the way what is going to be the source?

If you are planning to use the speakers (from 2.0) for movie marathons too on the weekend, then I presume you would need an AVR too. Particularly if you plan to put in a BD player too. So that leaves with an uneviable task of buying an integrated amp + AVR within 23k :D

Assuming the movie requirement is there, you may want to look closely at good AVRs than integrated amps. 25k is a tight budget for a nice AVR so hunt around for the discontinued 1911 or an equivalent Marantz. If you found Marantz to be bright then Denon will be better with its neutral sound.

If no movie requirement, then learned folks on integrated amps will be able to comment better.

one thing not clear..u already have denon 1911 and M4 speaker??.
Yes I do, I have the MA M4 floor standers and Denon 1911 already for movies at home.

Check these amps too
Denon PMA 510AE
Advance Acoustic MAP101

Where and who deals with them in town ?

rjstyles, difficult to digest that you drive a 2.2 tonner and still got a permission of only 22k from home minister. I am lucky that I am on my bicycle most of the times but wifey, till now, has been kind with my hobby. :) Anyway. Are you open for used amps? ii think Vasishtha.sushant had his CA amp for sale. Check it out. Important because you liked the CA amp with M4s. By the way what is going to be the source?

jaudere yes and I call this as the darker side of life,for everything you need an opinion from home.I have another expensive hobby called photography and I have become a miser off-late :). Used stuff kinda gets me thinking, but let me see.

Source I already mentioned, its the SB Touch.

Most of these amps are close to your budget and they look to be from the same seller. Ask for a home audition and see what mates best with your speakers.

kittu not very keen on used stuff pal.

If you are planning to use the speakers (from 2.0) for movie marathons too on the weekend, then I presume you would need an AVR too. Particularly if you plan to put in a BD player too. So that leaves with an uneviable task of buying an integrated amp + AVR within 23k :D

Assuming the movie requirement is there, you may want to look closely at good AVRs than integrated amps. 25k is a tight budget for a nice AVR so hunt around for the discontinued 1911 or an equivalent Marantz. If you found Marantz to be bright then Denon will be better with its neutral sound.

If no movie requirement, then learned folks on integrated amps will be able to comment better.

I already have an AVR(Denon 1911) with a 5.1 setup for movies my friend. I love my music and hence needed something better than the AVR.

No one fancies the Yamaha a S500 eh ?

@rj,

What about the super fancied topping t20? Do you wanna try that out before you shell out 20k on another entry level amp.

See if any of the bangy forum members can lend u one. :)

metalmickey it's one the most hated SUV's called the Scorpio, there is a cult following against this in my city. It's here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_Scorpio
kittu I had thought about the T20 some time back but gave it a pass.

I see that the Denon PM 710AE has been recommended here on the forum. I definitely cant take my M4's and go for an audition to ProFx.

What would you guys recommend in the list below coz I have never been able to audition these amps with the M4's and the one amp that sounded sweet to my ears is way above my budget, the CA 651A.

Denon PMA 710 AE
Yamaha A S500

If nothing works only then will I force myself to go the USED way or save up for the next few months and then pick up the CA 651A. Thanks.

Tata Safari DICOR...:D

That would be 2.2 L and not 2.2 Tonne :)

@rjstyles, there are some very nice reviews of the AS 500 so it surely worth a dekko. You might like them with the MA sound signature.

Audio Planet only has CAs so Palani usually recommends them :)

+1 to the Yamaha. I've heard it and its pretty good. A bit on the bright side but if equipment is correctly matched then its fine.

I did not like Yamaha AS 500 much. i would rather spend 30k on NAD326BEE rather than 25 k on AS500.

Any plan about going active way? Yamaha MSP5 are very good (28k/pair). Audio engine 5 could be good. A forum member has recently bought Resolve6 active monitors for 16.5k.

You can use M4 purely for movies and go active way.

Heard the Denon PMA 710 coupled with the polks, not too impressed and I don't know how it would have sounded with the laid back MA's.

So that leaves me with the Yamaha As500 which I will be auditioning over the weekend. Unlikely that I might get a chance again to audition this with my MA's , Vector only deals with Wharfedales. This amp has some pretty good reviews so definitely on my wishlist, only need to have a proper audition of this.

If nothing works I prolly will save up and pick up the CA 651 Azure itself. Will keep you guys posted on my final choice.

Back