Stereo Setup Suggestions

Dear All
I got marantz sr 5008 with two jbl monitor speakers 4312 ebk. Problem is when I only increase volume on marantz to 40 music plays from speakers.
Can anyone suggest are these speaker compatable what is the problem an any solution please

The level at which speaker starts playing is primarily based on how source output is matched with sr 5008 input sensitivity and should not be of much concern. The other reason that is a lot less likely is that the speakers are not very linear in their response to power. That problem I see in older poorly made speakers. The third reason is that the amp manufacturers decide what their volume control (to power) profile will be. Some time their volume control is set such a way that the power comes on quickly. That gives the impression that the amp is more powerful that it really is. Marantz does not do that so you need upto 40 to hear any sound.

I checked the specs on 4312 ebk. They are one of best studio speakers made by JBL. They are high sensitivity (93) and should work fine with your amp. It is not necessary but they are capable of using a much more powerful amp for a very loud volume.

Try increasing the trims in the marantz for the L/R/C.
That should give a boost.

Can also be the source is recorded at a lower volume.

I checked the specs of the receiver. They are not too detailed so can't be sure. But possible it will struggle at higher volumes for your speakers. Don't crank it up to max levels.

@Rastapipulus. I thought it was the other way around. If the source is less than specified the sound will come later in the volume range and it is less likely to clip the amp. On the other hand if the source is higher than specified for the amp the sound will come out early in the volume range and there is a danger of amp clipping if you turn it up too high. Do I have it wrong?

My amp is the basic Marantz pm 5004. Had a limited budget. But I quite like its sound. Esp the Source Direct.
You will need a sub out as well in the amp. Marantz has a two speaker output, perhaps I can add a passive sub to Speaker B but not sure.

There are also those new class of amps - Topping TP21 (2x25W) is what I was considering for myself. There are other cheaper options from SMSL etc.
They should sound good paired with a good warm, smooth DAC.

Which DAC are you considering?
Heard of Schiit Fulla?

I was myself considering the Marantz but the lack of a sub out is what made me back out. I will no doubt be getting a powered sub in the next few months.

I had a look at the Topping amps, however prefer sticking to something available locally, and something I can audition.

Yes I have heard of Schiit & considering the Schiit Modi.

@shkumar
An amp basically clips when the demand is more than its power supply can handle (over and above the dynamic headroom)

What I was trying to bring out was, since the volume is low, the OP may crank it up to get more volume.
Given the amp seems a bit underpowered for the speakers, he may get the amp to go into clipping when he cranks it up high.

Last edited:
@humblebee
You will need an active subwoofer to get any decent bass given your amp can generate only 140w even at 6 ohms.

I would suggest you save and buy a good active subwoofer once instead of buying a passive one and realising is not good and then buy the active one [emoji2]

I am not sure if I have understood clearly.
Need to know if jbl 4321 is a good speaker n marantz have sufficient power to open jbl drivers.

If I were in your shoes I would take a long hard look at these -

Behringer: TRUTH B2031A

A pair should fit in your budget.

If you can expand your budget, you can do better but if I had your budget and goals this is probably what I would try to audition.

Good Luck, May the music move you.

There are two threads running here. One from OP (nik) and the other one ketanpote. Please specify who you are suggesting what. Each has different requirements.

Yes speakers are jbl 4312 ebk sorry I missed typed . Now I want to know are they under powered by marantz 5008 if yes What option I got any power amp which is compatable with marantz or any other solutions

The B2031A is with built in amplifier. You will need an external control preamp to drive it.
The B2031P is passive and can be driven by a normal power amp. However they really need to be used with a sub . By themselves they sound nice but you will find the real lows in some recordings a bit lacking. I have a pair of the 2031P's. Very good value for money !

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back